DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Help Me To Decide!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/68415-help-me-decide.html)

Todd Evans May 29th, 2006 03:50 PM

Help Me To Decide!!!

You can help me a lot if you could send your reviews for XL2.
What kind of lenses you use, batteries and lights?
I have 10 years broadcast experience but in PAL system .I used beta camcorders. I don't have too much experience in NTSC.
I want to use my knowledge to be a wedding videographer .
I would start with XL2 or GY-HD100 and if no choice I would go with DVX-100B. On my opinion I would choose XL2 good quality -price.But I really need your help cause I don't have any experience with it.
Thank you guys!!!!

Jimmy McKenzie May 29th, 2006 04:07 PM

You can join me on my next shoot as an intern and I will provide a full tutorial and lesson on the entire line of Canon XL cameras along with every accessory they ever produced. I would have no problem throwing you camera 3 and creating a multiple cam shoot. Most are 2. But I'm in Canada.

Perhaps there is someone in a neighboring but not competing county who might want an extra set of hands to help you learn.

As for the "difference" between NTSC and PAL for wedding work, there is none. It's just a frame rate and frame size. The composition, setting and shooting for the edit are the keys to a successful wedding video. Among other things like avoiding the drunk brother at the front of the hall who wants to handle the interviews for you...

Mark Von Lanken May 29th, 2006 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Todd Evans]You can help me a lot if you could send your reviews for XL2...I have 10 years broadcast...I used beta camcorders...I want to use my knowledge to be a wedding videographer .
I would start with XL2 or GY-HD100 and if no choice I would go with DVX-100B... QUOTE]

Hi Todd,

Let me start out by saying that I do not own an XL-2. My primary camera from 1998-2003 was an XL-1. I really liked that camera. At the time it was the closest I had been to a real camera.

In 2003 I went the Sony route. A DSR-250 for me and a PD-150 for my wife. A month ago we hosted a workshop in Tulsa. One of the wedding videographers brought their XL-2. The first thing I noticed was how hard it was to see focus. Maybe I'm spoiled with the viewfinder on my DSR-250, but even compared to the little PD150, the XL-2 viewfinder was very soft.

I would think since you are coming from Beta cams you would really appreciate the real viewfinder and lens on the JVC HD-100. I have had my hands on the HD-100 a couple of times and absolutely loved the real lens. It has a viefinder that can be color or B&W as well as a color flip out LCD, not to mention that it is 16X9. If I were purchasing a new set of cameras today, I wouldn't even consider DV cameras, but I don't want to start a DV versus HDV debate.

There are a couple of video associations in Wiconsin, or if you are close to Chicago, there is an active association there. It would be most beneficial to you to talk with someone that has had at least two of the three cameras that you are considering. What would be even more beneficial, as Jimmy pointed out, would be to go to a wedding and see the camera in action and then view the footage.

Bruce S. Yarock May 30th, 2006 01:44 AM

Mark,
Have you seen the monochrome viewfinder on an XL2? I bought one (58 year old eyes), and the focus is razor sharp. The problem with this viewfinder,though, is that you can't see color. If you use the wrong custom white bal preset by mistake, you won't see it till you watch the footage in a monitor. (I ruined 15 minutes of footage at a wedding Sunday night.Luckilly I realized it befor the ceremony began).
Btw, I saw your web page, and am intereted in possibly comming to your wedding workshop.I'll contact you off line.
Bruce S. Yarock

Mark Von Lanken May 30th, 2006 10:03 AM

Hi Bruce,

No I haven't see the monchrome viewfinder. It sounds like it replaces the stock unit. I rely so heavily on the color viewfinder for WB. That's one of the things I like so much about the DSR-250 and JVC HD-100, they offer both a B&W viewfinder as well as a color flip out screen.

About the Workshop, we have two spots available for the June 26 & 27th workshop and yes, feel free to contact me off line.