Quick release adapter for Glidecam 4000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2006, 05:35 AM   #1
New Boot

Quick release adapter for Glidecam 4000

I'm looking for a quick release adapter that would work with 503 head and my Glidecam. I wanted to go with the 577 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=241139&is=REG) adapter but I've read about some problems with the release handle.

Could someone recommend their existing setup or tell me how to overcome this problem? (Someone has recommended to install the QR on the edge of the GC plate but this would have dramatic impact while balancing the device).

Thanks.
Marcin Rafalowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Rafalowicz
Could someone recommend their existing setup or tell me how to overcome this problem? (Someone has recommended to install the QR on the edge of the GC plate but this would have dramatic impact while balancing the device).

Thanks.

I think the release handle[the thing you crank] will "hit" the stage of the Glidecam after half a turn. The solution? I think you can pull the release handle and then "freely turn" back and then unwind/lock some more. Almost like a ratchet drive. It takes a bit more work..but it should work.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm using something from Slik but I cant find it online.. bought it at a local shop for US$35. The release is located at the rear instead of the side..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM   #4
New Boot

Will follow Dave Williams' advice. I'm going with 577 and will try to install the QA adapter closer to the edge of GC. Thanks for your contributions.
Marcin Rafalowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We use the 577 and basically before you install the QR to the glidecam, just slide in the plate and tighten it, the handle should be pretty flat which will allow you to put it on the Glidecam, then to get it off, all you need is a half turn. We use it on a glidecam 4000 with an XL-H1 and it's plenty tight...

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Rafalowicz
Will follow Dave Williams' advice. I'm going with 577 and will try to install the QA adapter closer to the edge of GC. Thanks for your contributions.
Marcin you won't even need to install it closer to the edge. The advice you got about pulling the lever and adjusting it is 100% accurate.

When you pull on the locking lever you'll feel that it has spring friction. When it's pulled away from it's natural position you can turn it freely to adjust it's default location...that way you don't have to turn it down into the glidecam plate to tighten it.

It takes all of but 3 seconds- if that. If you want, remind me, and I'll show you in person this upcoming weekend.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques