Flash memory cards for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Flash memory cards for weddings?

Humbly admitting ignorance, I'm posting these questions here because it relates to wedding work. When considering the new Pannie HVX200, if one records a day long event to flash memory cards, how is the HD content transferred to PC? Is it a direct transfer of a file(s) from camera to computer and how long would the capture process be assuming 4 hours of content? Is capture done via USB or firewire?

Also, if you record in HD and want to downconvert, is that done in the camera real-time during the capture process?

Finally, do you believe flash memory is 100% reliable and safe for weddings considering the volume of content you might record and need to capture?

Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, I think I just answered most of my questions. Seems that the HVX200 would not be an appropriate camera for wedding work. According to a review I just found, the P2 cards cost around $1,400 each (yikes) and hold around 8GB. You also need something called a P2 Store HD for around $1,800 (yikes, again).

But the real killer is that around 15 minutes of shooting fills the 8GB card so you have to transfer the footage to the P2 store HD and then erase content so you can use the card again. Unless someone has better info, this makes flash memory for weddings impractical at least for now.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Major Player

The production budgets of weddings do not justify the use of HD at this point. Use the most reliable camera you can afford.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you can afford enough P2 Cards to do a wedding you have no reason to be working doing a wedding and you should be sitting with your heels up in the French Alps siping very expensive champagne.

Mike.
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques