4:3 to cropped 16X9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #16
Major Player

sorry monday....the other day i referred to some guys little boy as a girl.....but he had long hair in a pony tail....couldnt tell the difference.
i know where hamilton is, well cool...good luck out there.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #17
Wrangler

David the way you wrote your response could easily be taken the wrong way. I'm sure you didn't mean it to be as abrasive as it came off- and Monday was just seeking insight and support for an issue he was dealing with. Which would subsequently make him more sensitive to such a response.

Truth is everyone make mistakes, if you haven't then you haven't been in event video long enough. The best part about making mistakes is it forces us to find creative ways around the obsticles the mistakes create. Now I'm not "endorsing" mistakes but I know I wouldn't have the same editing prowess if it HADN'T been for those difficult edits trying to fix things. Often times that leads to changing something in your style or workflow which leads to experimentation.....which then leads to discovery. Believe it or not some of my best edits were ones with obsticles (ie mistakes) I had to improvise to overcome.

David was making the point that cropping is probably your ONLY option at this point and that it's somewhat moot to ask if it's "ok". Don't worry though, as long as it's not cropping which stretches the existing content to fill the entire screen (ie Interpolation) and just some faux 16:9 you should be fine.

In fact a lot of my earlier work I did this by choice because I simply liked the look of a 16:9 composition. Best of luck with everthing and I'm sure it will all work out fine for you. One sure thing- you'll probably never make that same mistake again! Best Regards.
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Under the circumstances I'd say you did the right thing, but I wouldn't recommend this as a normal procedure for creating widescreen video. The problem is that if someone plays it on a good HDTV and zooms in to fill the screen with such letterboxed video, it probably won't look very good. Lots of people have been doing it anyway, but it's not as good as producing proper widescreen (anamorphic) DVDs.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques