4:3 to cropped 16X9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 16th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #1
Major Player

4:3 to cropped 16X9

Quick question, how many actually hand your customers cropped videos of their events?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

compared to NTSC uncropped, PAL cropped is virtually indistinguishable... your looking at 432 VISIBLE lines as opposed to 480. Wooptido...
Shooting progressive scan, and these figures are alot more accurate. Shoot interlaced, and your working with compromised footage..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Major Player

So Peter then handing my customer a cropped video is ok? It shouldn't be a problem? The reason I asked was (I didn't notice it) I accidently turned on the date recod on the sony pd and the only way to work around it is to crop it, but then I had to crop the entire production (I did turn it off immediately once home). I'm asking is it generally ok my customer may or may not like it, but just trying to get a feel.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Still Motion

If you mean letterboxing the footage or like a fake widescreen, we do this quite often. The video quality is the same as un-letterboxed there is just less image there. If you are talking about cropping the edges and then making the whole image bigger so it fill sthe frame, such as making it 105%, this can often be done to a small degree with very little noticeable difference on a standard TV, but more then 3-5% and you can notice it easier.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You better hope it's okay. Otherwise you get to explain your mistake which will be attached to every single comment they make about your services. "Yeah, our videographer was great, but..." I would definitely try the letterbox look first.
David Avedikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Patrick that's what I was talking about a letterbox (fake widescreen). So people out there do offer that. Thanks for letting me know. David I know the severity of what took place which is why I'm honestly trying to fix it the best I can. I don't need to be reminded thank you.
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Monday.....at my company, we always do the letterbox cropped thing for wedding videos and our clients like it. We shoot in a way to compensate......always keeping in mind that we will letterbox in post. It looks really sweet so I cant imagine your client having an issue with it. If I were you....I would not let the your client know about the date marked video issue.
good luck...joe

ps. be sure to adjust the verticle position of your video if adding the letterbox cuts off any video source you wish not be cut....I do it often (minor tweaks here and there) and its not an issue.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Joe,
I dropped off the preview disc today and said nothing about the date record issue and they really enjoyed the progress of the video. They didn't mind the letterbox, infact I said nothing about it. Over all I'm relieved on this one especially knowing what other people are doing. Thanks man
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Cool, glad it all worked out for you.

Where are you in Baltimore....I used to live in Perry Hall. I grew up in MD. most of me life, then moved to Cali.
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa
David I know the severity of what took place which is why I'm honestly trying to fix it the best I can. I don't need to be reminded thank you.
Sorry... but to me there is only one option. So the question is a little silly unless a reminder was given.
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Major Player

dude...chill out. there is actually more options than just "the one" as you stated but who gives a poo now....she got it handled, all is good so your non-helpful remarks.....do just that.....they dont help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Avedikian
Sorry... but to me there is only one option. So the question is a little silly unless a reminder was given.
Old June 17th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #12
Major Player

Joe, I live very close to Perry Hall. I live in Hamilton and have actually considered moving to California or Texas as well. There's more money out there but I'm not ready for that. Still young and the business is going good.

Monday
Oh yeah, I'm a guy. LOL!!!
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
dude...chill out. there is actually more options than just "the one" as you stated but who gives a poo now....she got it handled, all is good so your non-helpful remarks.....do just that.....they dont help.
Enlighten us... what would you do in that situation other than crop it?

And I don't find it in bad taste to remind someone of the consequences of their actions. If I haven't run into someone who made those types of comments about a videographer or photographer, then I wouldn't have said anything. So my remark was there to help just as much as anyone elses.
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #14
Major Player

David that's enough. Thank you for commenting, and I wish you the best of luck. I've done this for 4 years and made a simple honest mistake anybody could easily make. You probably had a gig where you forgot to record something or turn on a mic. No one has bashed you for that. It's over your point is heard. I wish you would give more grace in this type of situation.
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #15
Regular Crew

You guys are missing my point. I'm not trying to bash anyone. I'll leave it at that.
David Avedikian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques