DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What would you do... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/69973-what-would-you-do.html)

Dennis Stevens June 21st, 2006 11:49 AM

What would you do...

I recently taped a dance performance with 3 different cameras - dVX100A, VX2100 and an HVX 200. (The HVX we used standard def). The job didn't pay much, those were cameras I was able to borrow.

There are a couple where the background lighting clearly looks different. I played around with color correction, which I'm no expert on. I couldn't get it to match exactly, so I left it alone.

I worked closely during the editing with the director of the dance group, who is the client. She was quite happy with the results, but I keep looking at those shots and the color differences do bother me a bit. I pointed them out to her, and she said they really didn't bother her, the costumes look great and she was happy.

I'm sorta tempted to take another stab at color correction, but then again the paying client says it's fine.

Curious what you're all take would be.... maybe do color correction for when it's part of my demo reel?

Nick Jushchyshyn June 21st, 2006 11:52 AM

General creative rule is to not change something the client has approved.

Joe Allen Rosenberger June 21st, 2006 01:28 PM

I see this more as a "technical" fix than creative fix. Dennis, you may agree with me. I think if it doesn't cost you a huge amount of time to color correct....I would most likely do it as we all like our camera's images to match as best they can.
good luck-joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Jushchyshyn
General creative rule is to not change something the client has approved.

Sheldon Blais June 21st, 2006 02:32 PM

I'd leave it alone.....I have the same problem sometimes.

It's hard to enjoy a a video when you know all the "technical aspects"....LOL

Mike F Smith June 21st, 2006 04:12 PM

Hard to say too much without seeing the clips. You might want to spend $25 for a month of lynda.com if you are using final cut. The quicktime tutorials of final cut are really good. The guy grows on you after a while and his discussion on color correction really helped me a lot. That said with unmatched cameras you will always have some diff.

Mike

Waldemar Winkler June 21st, 2006 04:37 PM

I always color correct any shoot involving more than one camera, and I often color correct footage shot with the same camera over time.

I don't know (or missed) the NLE system you are using. If it happens to be Final cut, then I suggest visiting www.lynda.com. It is an online lecture site featuring many different software applications. The access fees are reasonable, and very much worth the money and time listening to the online lectures.

Color correction is a rather easy task for rough-in and requires significant skill if one wants to get into the intricacies of fine tuning. Your project appears it fits the needs of roughing in quite well and one can do amazing things with roughing in. (That is my skill level, by the way).

I am sure there are many other similar training sites on the web. Indeed, I looked at a few, but found those at lynda.com to be structured the way I needed them...software screenshots with voiceover. Anyone who has knowledge of similar sites they like please make your favorites known.

Nate Schmidt June 21st, 2006 05:17 PM

I'll throw another vote for lyna.com but the free tutorials on rippletraining.com are great to so I assume the stuff they sell is also good.

Andrei Petrik June 22nd, 2006 08:28 AM

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Dennis Stevens June 22nd, 2006 11:31 AM

Thanks folks.

I'm using Premiere Pro 2.0... But I'm thinking I won't change it now, the client is happy as is.

I will try to do it for my own demo reel, though.