lav mic heartbeat... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 24th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Major Player

lav mic heartbeat...

Not sure if anyone else has had this experience, but I was previewing a vows segment and heard what I thought was a distant car with their bass turned up too loud. Turns out it was the groom's heartbeat (man, was it beating fast!)...he didn't want the lav mic showing on the outside of his jacket, so I clipped it to the inside liner and I guess it was a bit too low. Kind of a cool effect, though you have to listen closely and have the bass up a tad.
The b&g like it and don't mind at all. The DJ also had the groom wired for sound, which gave me a little interference, but it's still quite clear.
Guess I'll be minding my lav placement from now on--or maybe I'll offer a groom's heartbeat option to my services...

http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demo...andronvows.wmv

Also, many thanks to everyone who participates on DVI--this forum is the most valuable resource for me and has helped me improve my skills (not that I don't have a ways to go) more than I can say. Thanks!!
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Mybe you should play that up and put a clip of a p wave in your edit.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I really don't understand a groom's reluctance to wear a lav mic the way we tell them. Yet another reason to cover this with the groom when booking.

Why did the DJ mic up the groom?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike--I really like that idea and will do it tomorrow!! Perfect...I'll try to isolate it as much as I can in SForge, and then double it up on another track. Or is there an easier way to do that in Vegas itself? Also, what's the best way to record a p wave of it?
And Rick, the DJ mics the groom during the ceremony and runs it out of his PA...is this unusual? I'm too new to the biz to know. You're right I should've covered this with the groom--stupid oversight on my part-but you can bet I won't forget this point in the future.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Trustee

The second wedding I did, the other camera guy put my lav on the groom. I was too lazy to use my head phones, and trusted the audio level meter. When we started editing, I realized that he had placed the lav so that it was rubbing against his vest....What a nightmare! After some fancy audio editing between shotgun, lav, and the other cam mic, and isolating as much noise as possible, I managed to salvage the audio. But it added at least 3 hours to the edit.
My new motto is "Put lav on yourself, and at least check the sound with phones".
Bruce Yarock
PS- Vincent, I don't know exactly where Colchester is, but I'm originally from Waterbury.
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #6
Major Player

No doubt about it Bruce, mistakes that cost us so much time are worth learning from. This was actually my first wedding using my wireless mic/lav system-all in all, pretty good audio. Nice to know I'm not alone in my mistakes...
Colchester is right along Rte. 2, a little more than halfway between Hartford and Norwich. Unfortunately we were ranked (I forgot by what organization) the second best town in CT to live in, and our population has been increasing accordingly. A bit more traffic, but hopefully it'll improve my business, since I'm the only one in town. Waterbury? That particular wedding was at the Waterview Inn in Derby, which isn't far from your home town...nice place.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques