Newbie Needs Some Advice.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The feature film "Pieces of April" was shot on a PD-150. It is played frequently in TV, starred Katie Holmes, pretty successful if you ask me. So I think that if you wanted to move into independent films later on the Sonys would be able to pull it off.

In addition, your current job will be weddings. The Sonys are better with lowlight and will make your clients happier, maybe reference you to other clients, etc.

In my opinion, it would be a mistake to get the GL2s or XL2s simply because they are Canon. If you want you could purchase them later, with the money from the weddings shot with the Sonys.

Ernesto.
Ernesto Llano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

There is one more issue I had when I was making the same choice a few years back. I held the two cameras. For some reason, the VX2000 I bought then felt so much more solid and a bit heavier than the GL (then it was the GL1). I've since seen the GL2, and new PD170, and that hasn't changed.

Oh, and I think there may be a chip size difference between the two. It makes a difference. Check me on that one, as I haven't looked at specs recently...
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #18
New Boot

I appreciate everyones input. I spoke with another local wedding videographer today and he uses the Gl2 currently. I asked him everything I could think of....and even ran stuff by him that you all have said......
He has never had one ssue with his GL2...and loves how it performs....He has used many other pro cameras as he has been in the industry quite sometime and stated he always comes back to the GL2.

I am sure the PD170's are great cameras.....somewhere today I read an article that stated 4 people were picked to shoot on the GL2 and the PD170's (did not specify time of day) and then the footage they shot was shown to individuals to choose which was the best picture....and the GL2 won hands down..... Now I could not find the source to verify this but I don't see how the PD170's make up for an extra $1,000 in image quality.....

Sure the PD170 is a better low light camera but from others experiences they state they have had no problem with the GL2.....

I guesss it comes down to a matter of choice as...neither camera is the PERFECT camera I suppose.

I hope I am making the right decission as I believe I am going to go with the GL2....and if worse comes to worse...I'll use a light....

Hopefully I will have something to post for you guys soon and you can critic me....

I look forward to sharing on this site.
Nathan James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques