Repost of wedding association opinion request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 5th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Repost of wedding association opinion request

Since
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=association went south, I wanted to post this question again, other than the major Associations, anyone know the good or bad of local ones? I realize it comes down to people who make things work well, but I'm just wondering if there are success stories such as price standardization etc that might be a benefit to having a local association.

Thanks for your time.

Peter, I've read your post about the ones in AUS. Geeez
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

lol howd u know i was gonna look here?

im that predictable huh...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
lol howd u know i was gonna look here?

im that predictable huh...

I've just read your post like twice trying to find someone to opinionate on this subject, it appears there's a big echo with few ears.

And yes, I predicted you would see my subject and stop by. lol.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Steven,

Could you explain 'price standardization'? Sound a bit like collusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Since
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=association went south, I wanted to post this question again, other than the major Associations, anyone know the good or bad of local ones? I realize it comes down to people who make things work well, but I'm just wondering if there are success stories such as price standardization etc that might be a benefit to having a local association.

Thanks for your time.

Peter, I've read your post about the ones in AUS. Geeez
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It's an idea that came out of my brain. It's sortof like what the gas stations do, they all secretly agree on a price and that's why they all have the same price. It's not a perfect example, but I guess price standardization would be an agreement for a group of business to agree on a general price range and try to set apart by style, personal service, things that are not just price.

Then that group of people would make an effort to either assist growing companies or exclude them from the group if thier services do not measure up.

We have a local one here http://www.richmondbridalassociation.com/ I've not joined yet. I just haven't seen the point as of yet. I'm not much about being snobby, so if I ever do join something, I want it be for the right reason, not just a stamp on my forehead.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Steven,

As practical as that sounds it is illegal due to antitrust laws. Learn about collusion here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collusion

Quote:
It's an idea that came out of my brain. It's sortof like what the gas stations do, they all secretly agree on a price and that's why they all have the same price. It's not a perfect example, but I guess price standardization would be an agreement for a group of business to agree on a general price range and try to set apart by style, personal service, things that are not just price.

Then that group of people would make an effort to either assist growing companies or exclude them from the group if thier services do not measure up.

We have a local one here http://www.richmondbridalassociation.com/ I've not joined yet. I just haven't seen the point as of yet. I'm not much about being snobby, so if I ever do join something, I want it be for the right reason, not just a stamp on my forehead.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Good information. I'm not in favor of it, I just have heard of it before. Good thing it's illegal.
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Major Player

As long as its not official its not illegal to tell someone they should raise their prices. While I don't agree with it that has been WEVA's mantra for years. Its basically priced fixing. But someone who is new but does good work may be trying to get their foot in the door and build a network of referrals. Thats capitalism. Eventually they will have to bring their pricing up or they won't last. The market will always decide the final price.

Quote:
Good information. I'm not in favor of it, I just have heard of it before. Good thing it's illegal.
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #9
Major Player

As long as its not official its not illegal to tell someone they should raise their prices. While I don't agree with it that has been WEVA's mantra for years. Its basically priced fixing. But someone who is new but does good work may be trying to get their foot in the door and build a network of referrals. So they lowball. Thats capitalism. Eventually they will have to bring their pricing up or they won't last. Regardless of whether it is perceived or real value the market will always decide the final price. Advertising can have an impact on that though. Say a local association uses their funds to run ads promoting the benefits of hiring a wedding videographer. Because of that exposure demand rises. And because of that the videographer schedules will fill sooner and more often. The result will be that the market will be able to bear higher pricing to meet the demand.

Quote:
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques