Who is shooting HDV for weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Locking the HVX to the DVCPRoHD format really punched alot of users in the guts IMO...
I dont mind the Sonys, hell ive got 2 Z1s right here, but for weddings, i only use them when people ask for a HD master for HD delivery. I wont bother shooting with them just to get a 16:9 image, as that in itself can be acheived ith the DVX, with nigh on zero loss in image quality (shooting progressive scan PAL u see..) its about a drop in 32 pixels, which really isnt all that much.
Like i said the argument can go on for days, and im running out of coffee, but in the ned, i would strongly recomend to anyone to at least hire each camera for a weekend and take it along to a shoot and see how it fares.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
I dont mind the Sonys, hell ive got 2 Z1s right here, but for weddings, i only use them when people ask for a HD master for HD delivery.
You've had people ask you for HD without any prompting?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi all. This is my first post here. I've been looking around at sites for there samples. It's funny to me (granted I've only been to about 25-30 sites so far) but so far, the ones with HD advertised have been poorly done. I guess my point is, it's funny to me that they get all that expensive equipment and it ends up still looking like the kid down the street did the shooting and editing. Instead of looking beautiful, it looks like surveillance footage. BUT, it's crystal, and that's all that counts right?

Those of you pushing the boundaries and are making your vids look beautiful and artistic, that is fantastic! Keep it up. But I guess without those people that do the bare minimum, there would not be a great contrast to make those that care 'stand out'

Glad to be here. Lots of great info... thanks!
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
You've had people ask you for HD without any prompting?
2 since May last year...

3 asking for native widescreen... once they saw the difference between interlaced widescreen from Z1 vs Progressive scan widescreen from DVX, they went DVX
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #20
Inner Circle

" I guess my point is, it's funny to me that they get all that expensive equipment and it ends up still looking like the kid down the street did the shooting and editing. Instead of looking beautiful, it looks like surveillance footage. BUT, it's crystal, and that's all that counts right? "

Not in my book, then again, my book is a lil different to most, as ive gone back and rewritten the bits that i dont like.. but i can be a difficult SobB when i want to be

Id rather a well shot, well exposed, tightly focused wel edited Hi8 presentation as opposed to a badly shot, badly lit badly edited HD equivalent...

ive seen many people advertise their gear since we started doing it, and so theyre competing by using the same maerketing strategy.

But the fact of the matter is that its not what u use, its how u use it
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #21
Regular Crew

hi,

i'm shooting HDV and mini35 on weddings :-)
it's very difficult but the result is very great.

http://www.tophos.com/film.php
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,

To answer your questions,

1. I am shooting HDV for weddings using XH-A1s
2. I am happy with the low light compared to my GL2s
3. Yes I archive HDV for future HD-DVD burning, even if the client didn't get HD upfront.
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:16 AM   #23
Major Player

thats comforting for me Cezar because I've just stepped up from my GL2 to XH-a1

but to be honest i love my effects in my edits. ive been addicted to aftereffects for years now.
and editing in hdv simply gets in the way of my creative process. It slows down my machine too much and i end up getting S.F.A. done.

I wouldn't dare give the B&G an inkling that they could come back annoying me in the future when they're son gets a PS3 or whatever. At least not without quoting them more for that.

I have a message runnning along my sample saying that
"our latest cameras offer True 16:9 widescreen. We also have the ability to shoot in High Definition. However this is not something we are prioritising with at the moment. Should you require HD please ask for details prior to the wedding."

I'm not saying this is the way to approach this.. Instead I'm asking is it?

Imagine every wedding we do in the next 2 years coming back for a HD version. Nightmare.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Ger,

I don't use many special effects so native HDV editing is very doable. Rendering sucks though.

Anyhow, what I do is be very upfront with my clients regarding what is available from my studio today and at what price. That is all that is contracted.

I make no promises regarding how much something is going to cost in the future. If there is a huge demand in a few years for upgrades, and my supply is down I will charge accordingly.

Truthfully, I don't think many will be calling back. A properly authored progressive anamorphic SD DVD that was mastered in HD will look great on our clients High Def TVs. I archive the finished product in HD because that way I have the best quality to work off of if I ever need it.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:02 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Ruiz View Post
Hi Ger,

I archive the finished product in HD because that way I have the best quality to work off of if I ever need it.
Are you going back to HDV tape?
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:30 PM   #26
Regular Crew

nope. Hard disk is cheap.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM   #27
Major Player

is it just the .iso you archive Cezar?

so how much more would people here charge for a wedding outputted to blue ray or HD-DVD at the moment?

say percentage wise if a sd widesceen wedding costs 100%

how much does a HD wedding cost them?
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Ger,

The way to figure out fair pricing is to do the following.

figure out how much you want to make per hour.

Multiply by the number of hours it will take you to do something. In this case it will be time at the computer editing, importing, rendering, checking on the rendering, etc.

Then add cost of materials (HD discs, part of newly acquired burner expense).

Then add cost of biz expenses (divide yearly operating expenses by number of weddings).

Then add a percentage you want as profit (for the risk you took in going HD) That's the amount you'll put back into the business.

I hope that helps.
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM   #29
Major Player

thank you Cezar,
it does.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques