DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Booking 13 months out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/71017-booking-13-months-out.html)

Christopher Thomas July 7th, 2006 07:47 AM

Booking 13 months out

I got an email yesterday from a bride getting married in August 2007. She's trying to get her vendors locked in now.

I am positive that my prices will be higher in six months when I start getting calls for August 2007. Should I charge any kind of premium to book that far ahead? Or should I just be happy that I'm booked?

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on this. Thanks!

Edward Troxel July 7th, 2006 08:20 AM

That's totally up to you. Typically, I quote current pricing. She's just lucky to book early before the pricing went up. That's her bonus for being so forward thinking.

Steven Davis July 7th, 2006 08:39 AM

Christopher,

I agree with Edward, quote current pricing and make sure she understands the non-refundable deposit deal, if you have that in your contract.

Meryem Ersoz July 7th, 2006 08:44 AM

although i agree with what the other guys said, i would also caution you against under-charging. because you always end up 1) kicking yourself or 2) blaming the client for being such a cheap &^%**^

the way to avoid either scenario is to charge what you think you will be content to do the work for....gives your mind a rest!

Bill Mecca July 7th, 2006 08:55 AM

you could also look at it this way..

it may be less than you may be charging then, but you are guaranteed income 13 months from now, instead of trying to book the date at higher prices and maybe getting zip.

Peter Jefferson July 7th, 2006 09:36 AM

i have 2 rates for different seasons..

one for the weddings which are being shot for 2006, and one price range for weddings shot in 2007.

As demand for the product increases, so does price

Rick Steele July 7th, 2006 11:48 AM

Ethically, I don't see how you can charge somebody who is going to pay a retainer *now* anything other than your currently advertised price.

The current price is in effect at the time of booking... not when you shoot it.

Joel Peregrine July 7th, 2006 12:25 PM

Hi Christopher,

I get around this dilemma by setting prices for the year the wedding occurs within. My posted prices are for 2007, and for 2007 weddings those will be the prices regardless if they've booked two years in advance or a week in advance. I've got my 2008 prices set already and will send those out when I get inquiries for weddings in that year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Thomas
I got an email yesterday from a bride getting married in August 2007. She's trying to get her vendors locked in now.

I am positive that my prices will be higher in six months when I start getting calls for August 2007. Should I charge any kind of premium to book that far ahead? Or should I just be happy that I'm booked?

Just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on this. Thanks!

Peter Jefferson July 8th, 2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Hi Christopher,

I get around this dilemma by setting prices for the year the wedding occurs within. My posted prices are for 2007, and for 2007 weddings those will be the prices regardless if they've booked two years in advance or a week in advance. I've got my 2008 prices set already and will send those out when I get inquiries for weddings in that year.

yah, same here... put it this way, if you were a electronics dealer, and a new model TV was released in 18 months from now, would u expect to pay this years prices, simply because youve preordered it?

Rick Steele July 9th, 2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
yah, same here... put it this way, if you were a electronics dealer, and a new model TV was released in 18 months from now, would u expect to pay this years prices, simply because youve preordered it?

Well, yes I would. Otherwise what's the point of shelling out cash ahead of time?

It's called Layaway.