DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Filming the rehearsal dinner... What to do? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/71318-filming-rehearsal-dinner-what-do.html)

Brian Farris July 11th, 2006 08:56 PM

Filming the rehearsal dinner... What to do?

So I've done a few weddings but this is the first time a client has ever asked us to film some stuff at the rehearsal dinner. I'm not exactly sure what kind of footage I should be getting.

I'd hate to wip out my XL2 and then everyone get camera shy and not make toasts or anything.

What do you guys do in this situation?

Don Bloom July 11th, 2006 09:24 PM

Like any party. People schmoozing (talking, drinking) speeches, people schmoozing, no people eating though, looks bad when grandpas dentures fall out and you got it on tape ;-O

Some dinner are more extravagant than others. I did one where they had a DJ and dancing, got some of that, I did another where they had a BBQ at the house. Of course they also had about 150 people there so you never know.
I would cover it like another party overshoot and you'll probably end up with enough footage to make a nice 3 to 5 minute peice iver music BUT don't forget the "heartfelt" speeches, you might want a tripod or at least a monopod for them ;-)

Don

Peter Jefferson July 11th, 2006 09:29 PM

i hate speeches.. no really i do.. i dont see why a speech needs to go over 5 minutes...
i mean if i was hired to document a "this si your life " seminar I'd understand, but its a party FFS...

I guess everyone wants their 45 minutes of fame...

Don Bloom July 12th, 2006 05:53 AM

I too do hate the "speeches". Party ettiquite calls for a "toast" not a speech. The difference? A TOAST is 90 seconds or less---a SPEECH is anything over 90 seconds and we've all had the standup comic that thinks they're doing an opening act for a big name in Vegas (the city-not the software :-0) they go on and on and on-even the B&G don't like it BUT it's our job to cover it then EDIT out the crap and just leave the GOOD stuff; at least the way you and I edit Peter!
Plug in the headphones and turn down the volume that way it's a bit less painful ;-))))

Don B.

Steven Davis July 12th, 2006 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Farris
I'm not exactly sure what kind of footage I should be getting.

Ok Brian, call me crazy, or call me lacking coffee this early in the morning, but make this suggestion. Have a 'hat' full of questions that is passed around to the bridal party. And in the hat may be questions like, 'talk about an instance when you saw the groom show his love for the bride in a special way.' This would make things more intersting than just the best man getting up there and saying, 'yo, he's a great dude, PEACE OUT!'

Rick Steele July 12th, 2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Ok Brian, call me crazy, or call me lacking coffee this early in the morning, but make this suggestion. Have a 'hat' full of questions that is passed around to the bridal party. And in the hat may be questions like, 'talk about an instance when you saw the groom show his love for the bride in a special way.' This would make things more intersting than just the best man getting up there and saying, 'yo, he's a great dude, PEACE OUT!'

This sounds corny but it has merit. ANYTHING to liven things up. I mean, how much footage can you have of Uncle Jack making an ass out of himself?