music suggestion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

music suggestion

I am working on a picture montage or slideshow for a surprise birthday for a 60 year old. Having trouble picking music so that's where you all come in. Do you have any suggestions as to what music would go good? Right now the only song I am using is "These Are the Days" 10,000 Maniacs. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

"100 Years" by Five for Fighting
David Avedikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If I was only guessing, I'd count backwards to when this person was 16, locate the year and maybe use something on the top 10 american bandstand or something.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Major Player

'The Way We Were' sung by Barbara Streisand for the part showing the person's younger days.

'We gotta get out of this place' by the Animals if the person spent any time in Vietnam & has some in-country photos.

"Forever Young" by Bob Dylan. It's a slow, drippy song for a slide show if played in its entirety, but a few appropriate verses played toward the end of the slide show (assuming you're doing it in chronological order from young to old) would be perfect.

You might need to do some undercover work -- like what kind of music does/did this person like? Pop, country & western, classical ..... Music that a 20-30 year-old might think is cool could be a bit irritating to a 60-year-old. I'm thinking of rap music, but that's just me.

You're bound to get more responses, so in the closing credits, be sure to give all of us credit for helping you out. ;)
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

When I'm 64 by the Beatles (I love that song!!!)
Sentimental Journey
Turn, turn, turn
Heather Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My 2 cents

I'll be turning 58 in a month...so someone who is turning 60 is in my generation.

It depends on the theme, comedy, serious, etc.

I would choose "In My Life" by the Beatles.

Good luck,
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

"It Was A Very Good Year" by Sinatra
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Being 60 myself with a very ecclectic taste in the music of my times, why not ask the person who jired you what music to use. I would think that they would know the person at least well enough to give you some ideas.

Who knows, it might be something by Zepplin or Hendrixs or Cream or the Doors, or Iron Butterfly or Mothers of Invention could be something by Franky Valli or the Beachboys, maybe The Grass Roots all very different stuff.

OOOPS< don't forget the Kinks! ;-)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

"Young at Heart" by Frank Sinatra is a fun montage song and appropriate for the occasion.
Cara Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

First decide on the emotional message, then choose the music.

For instance, to take a comical approach, you could intersperse some old footage, and some really old music. Or you could use a moving-through-the decades approach with 40's swimg to Rock-Aroud-the-Clock to the Beatles to Zeppelin to Pearl Jam etc. Or find something really sentimental and pleasingly sappy.

It all depends on the message.

Just be glad that this will be a private event, so you don't need to get licenses for this stuff... ;)
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst
...Just be glad that this will be a private event, so you don't need to get licenses for this stuff...
The event might be private, but that doesn't guarantee a well-meaning family member who gets a copy of Lalo's production won't post on some public board somewhere on the internet all or part of the video. :-/
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:10 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
Being 60 myself with a very ecclectic taste in the music of my times, why not ask the person who jired you what music to use. I would think that they would know the person at least well enough to give you some ideas.

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions. Didn't even think about the Beatles music. Also great idea on going back in time to when he was 16 and see what was playing at that time. His daughter, which is a friend, is the one that hired me and I asked her about the music and what he liked. She said that he liked willie nelson but she didn't want any of his music on it. She also said that she trusted my judgment as long as it wasn't a sappy song. Would have been easier if she would have just gave me the music but she didn't and I knew that you all would come through for me. I'm headed to tower records to listen to some samples of your suggestions. Thanx again.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak
The event might be private, but that doesn't guarantee a well-meaning family member who gets a copy of Lalo's production won't post on some public board somewhere on the internet all or part of the video. :-/
Yeah, and I probably should rephrase what I wrote about "not needing" licenses.

Legally, you probably are required to get licenses to use stuff from the CDs that you are interested in, even if the event is private. From a practical position, the RIAA probably won't send a member of their hit squad to the party, so it may be a risk that you're willing to take. Just make sure it never, ever gets published.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:21 PM   #14
Major Player

Miscommunication

Although there have been some good suggestions I have misinformed you all. Actually there was some miscommunication between me and the person who hired me. Called today and found out it's for a retirement party. some of the songs will probably still fit but there may some other suggestions for that type of party. No, not "take this job and shove it", may not go over too well.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #15
Major Player

Work in Happy Birthday by Sinatra--only 20 secs--if you have the room, of course.

Ooops, that's what I get for not reading the last thread...I meant "Happy Retirement to You"...
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques