DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Quinceanera Prep montage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/71973-quinceanera-prep-montage.html)

Monday Isa July 21st, 2006 11:25 AM

Quinceanera Prep montage

This was a project from last month, looking for helpful comments. Thanks. It is 3 mins long.

www.quincevideo.com/prep.wmv
Monday

Sheldon Blais July 21st, 2006 02:22 PM

I thought the video was great!!

I was very impressed with the camera angles.....

Mike F Smith July 21st, 2006 07:19 PM

Really Great Work Monday,

Mike

Monday Isa July 21st, 2006 07:54 PM

Thanks Mike and Sheldon for your kind words.

Monday

Jose Luis Alcaraz July 22nd, 2006 12:59 AM

Hi all!,
A beautiful clip with very original takes. Good work!.
Only 2 things in my opinion.
The takes when you freeze the image and pass to b/w break the rithm. Maybe you can try to left the color image moving, doing a semi transparent ghosting or blurring over the frozen b/w.
Id liked to see general takes about the teen. I mean takes showing her completely.

...sorry if i seem rude, my english dont let me explain better :P

Monday Isa July 22nd, 2006 06:32 AM

Hey Jose,
Thanks for watching and for your input. For your second suggestion the entire video has plenty of shots of her entire body in it. I totally understand what you mean though. Go here and see what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtefW_EQvU Take care, and thanks for your input

Monday

Noah Hayes July 25th, 2006 07:01 AM

I'm kinda confused, maybe someone already said this, but is this a quinceanera or a wedding? The thread says quinceanera prep, but since I don't speak Spanish I might be intrepreting that wrong, is this a 15th birthday or a wedding? It looks like a wedding, but all the people involved look VERY young, the cake looked like a wedding cake. Overall the video looks good, just I got very confused watching it because I was expecting a birthday party like event with some dancing and stuff, and I saw two young kids walking down the aisle and going to what looked like a wedding reception...

Or maybe I just didn't get enough sleep last night...lol

Glen Elliott July 25th, 2006 07:34 AM

Monday thanks for sharing your work. It's interesting that Noah is having trouble distinguising this between a wedding and a quinceanera. Just goes to show you 1) How big this even is to the family (they really go all out) and 2) You give it the same treatment as you would a wedding. The client(s) will be thrilled.

Just a few critiques- Some of your camera moves were a little unsteady. No problem though, they seemed a bit too fast as well. That works out perfect because using less of the clip but stretching it longer with slow motion pays dividend in smoothing out less than perfectly smooth video. I rely on this all the time.

One of the titles it outside of title-safe, unless that was a 16:9 mask, if so then disregard.

I thought you did a good job with the shooting and really nailed the song choice. My only suggestion would be to use a bit more medium to wide shots. It's funny because I'm ALWAYS urging people to do the opposite- to include more close-ups. With this peice it felt like there were more xcu's and/or detail shots than shots of faces and expressions. It's also good to try and find a balance of both (wide and tight) to give the piece visual balance. I try not to use too many cu's back to back.

Again thanks for sharing- I'm sure the girl and her family are going to be thrilled! Btw, is that a stretched Dodge Magnum with the stretched Hummer?!

Monday Isa July 25th, 2006 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Btw, is that a stretched Dodge Magnum with the stretched Hummer?!

Yeah Glen, That was a stretched Magnum and stretched Hummer. They went all out on this one. This was the video I had a major flaw with, where I accidentally had the date record recorded on the sony pd170, I didn't plan on having a 16X9 letterbox, but that's how it worked out which explains some XCU's. Thanks for your input and comments, and especially taking the time to view my clip. I read a article on DV event that also said not to forget wide shots and medium shots, so I corrected that quickly for the next job I had earlier this month. Jose Luis also recommended that as well. Time for more practice while not on the job.

Monday

Hey Noah this was Quinceanera (15th birthday), your not out of it at all, they spent close to $20,000 for this party. It was alot of fun.

Noah Hayes July 26th, 2006 09:40 PM

Yeah, it looked like a big party, what I was confused about was that it looked like a wedding ceremony, do Quinceaneras usually involve wedding-like ceremonys? I've seen footage of quinceaneras that look exactly like the "party" aspect of your video, i just wasn't expecting to see a 15 year-old walking down an aisle of a church in a wedding dress for her birthday...maybe I need to go to one of these... lol

Eric Gan July 27th, 2006 01:48 AM

Hi Monday, that was really well done. I liked the fast-paced highlight video which had lots of energy in the edit - I can imagine it must have taken quite some time to put together. The effects were appropriate for the style and not overused. Thanks for posting.

Stretch Hummers and Magnums....huh, when I turned 15, I think I got a free dinner at Denny's. I guess it's a different culture, but how much do people spend on such an event? A few years later, and you gotta do it all over again for a wedding. Wow.