Montages and DVD content advice.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 24th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Montages and DVD content advice..

Hi there

I am recording a friends wedding this summer and was wondering if you can answer a question for me. It’s my first wedding, but I have experience with Video Production and photography.

For the ceremony, would you have a montage AND a copy of how it went without added music and slower cutting? Also would you have a montage showing the whole day, or keep them separate, like for the Preparation/Ceremony and Reception.

Last question, what’s the basic full content of what you have on the DVD. At the moment I have Preparation/montage, Ceremony/montage and Reception. What else would you add?

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Simon Antoniou
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I do:

--photo montage (both childhoods to now and together photos) to music
--preparation morning montage to music
--ceremony (whole thing, real-time, 3 cameras, minor editing to speed up ultra boring parts (peace be with you...))
--post ceremony photo montage to music
--reception entrances, toasts (real-time, 2 cameras, minor speed up)
--formal dances, garters, and 3 songs of everyone dancing (songs cut in half)
--final montage of the whole day to music

whole dvd length approx 1 to 1.5 hours
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for that...
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

heheheh

ever seen Team America?

"Gotta have a MONTAAAAAAGE"

good laugh ;)

Consider many elements which may affect your edit time. If editing time is not a concern. then afew of montages littered here and there help break the monotony

Ask your friends what they want... do they prefer montage pieces or a more doco feel??

best way to work out how to structure it is to ask them.

Once ur established and doing this as a day job, then u can worry about your own structure... but at least this way (asking them) youlll be able to work their piece as tehy want it
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

has anyone filmed a wedding without a tripod?

I was just going to use a monopod, but realised that the zoomed shots will be far too shaky.
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Simon Antoniou]has anyone filmed a wedding without a tripod?
QUOTE]
Yes, always..

I have 2 tripod kits (Bogen/manfrotto 501&503 heads and 055 click lock legs)
<if u knew what Bogan meant here in aus, youd see why we use the word manfrotto>, but i only really ever use one...

all the morning prep stuff is done handheld, the ceremony is shot from the centre aisle (if posible) handheld while the second camera is fixed onto the lectern. Sometimes i might use a tripod with the legs folded in to act as a monopod. If i can get away with having a set of sticks in teh aisle, i'll do it..

I dont recall a time where ive ever taken a tripod out on a wedding Photoshoot.. at the reception, the only time i use a tripod is for the speeches... and when im taking a break from filming and jsut wanna chill.

I wouldnt recomend this, but im used to it

IMO, your better off with a tripod and then closing off the legs when u need it to be a monopod
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques