Suggestions for an edge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Suggestions for an edge

Some background: Originally from the UK I moved to a suburb of Rio, Brazil a while ago. Once here I decided to follow my passion and try to start my own business in Filmography.

My wife has large family here and so far I have filmed a 50th wedding anniversary party which the final DVD went down very well. Through recommendations here I have also filmed a school party which again was received with very strong approval.

My equipment extends to one DVC30 plus lights, mics, irivers etc. Enough to produce a product of decent quality. Editing is where I consider my biggest talent to be.

Since my marriage my wife stayed friends with the wedding planner who is going to distribute my portfolio DVD to her clients.

There are filmographers here. The market is not saturated by any means and from what I have seen they produce a very good, although not outstanding product. (This is a very big generalisation). Generally I have found that expectations of customers are quite low of what they expect the final DVD to be.

There is a perception here that products from Europe \ US are of better quality and more desirable.

My question is this. I obviously want to maximise my business potential and generate work. Being different here “i.e. foreign” I feel that this could be used as an edge somehow. I’d like to hear any suggestions on how I could use it to my advantage or any general advice on how to continue getting myself out there.

Please note, I am not on a high horse here saying that US \ European stuff is better. I’m just commenting on perceptions I have experienced from people here. Thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

if your perception of your work brings on a higher level of quality, then use THAT...

race really doesnt mean anything in this game, and I do know what u mean regarding the "fereigner factor" however in the end, your work must prove itself to be worthwhile irrespective of where u originate.

Now in Rio, i believe there are 2 base classes of citizens? Is that correct?? Being the impoverished, and then the well to do.. I dont mean this in any negative manner, but you need to target your market wisely..

If you believe your work to be superior to the local talent, then make sure u let other people know this..

Another option is to contact business and offer cheaper rates for corporate work, such as traning videos etc etc

good luck with it
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm kind of late here...but ditto. I'm "farang" = foreigner in Thailand. I do mainly photography but more and more video to date. There's a group of people here who will pay a lot more (us prices and more) to have a "western eye". I don't even try and get the local regular Thai market. It would be stupid and an uphill battle (wedding packages with an album, dress, hair, makeup, etc for less than 1K US)....

I will find those folks who hate the Thai style of video and pictures and charge them as if they were in the States or UK still and charge them and provide quality and give customer service (a big key) like they can't find in Thailand.

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Since I have yet to leave the borders of my country I can not make any kind of intellegent comment in that regard, except to note that I believe you must pay very close attention to both your intuition and oberservations.

Technically, I believe you woud significantly enhance your video product if you could invest in a second camera. Think the entire pre-production process through. While it is possible to manage more equipment alone, it is usually easier to manage with a trusted assistant.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques