DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Sister Camera for DVX 100B (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/72358-sister-camera-dvx-100b.html)

Todd Westacott July 26th, 2006 04:24 PM

Sister Camera for DVX 100B

I am in the market for an inexpensive secondary camera that would be a good match for my primary camera which is a DVX 100B.

Can anyone reccomend a good sister camera to a DVX 100B?

I have been thinking about buying used as well so what would you be willing to pay for a good condition second camera?

Peter Jefferson July 27th, 2006 08:34 AM

100a

or 100 IF and ONLY IF your gamma settings are claibrated.. (ie dumb down the 100b...

the 100 DOESNT have the 12bit chip (this makes a HUGE difference when shooting stage shows, well lit environments, direct lights (such as par cans and scanner in nightclubs.. the image is MUCH cleaner... however this cleaner footage is at a sacrifice of lux.. to me, its no biggy, but when youve got 2 cameras shooting a rave party, u know which your gonna use to get that lighting overlay.. )

moving on..

I tried the DVC30 and returned it.. it has teh original 100 gamma and runs frame mode as well as a squeeze mode.. great lense, marred only by the size of teh CCD. For my use, it was... well.. useless.. so i took it back..

I dunno what i can sugget here, but ive also got an MX500 which goes wel with teh 30, but nowhere near as precise in colour rendition as the DVX..

Todd Westacott July 27th, 2006 08:42 PM

what about a GL2 or DVC30?

Peter Jefferson July 28th, 2006 03:10 AM

nup, as i mentioned in my post, the 30 doesnt render colour the way DVX does.. not even in good or natural light... i think ur closest bet is to find a good second hand 100 model (the original release) or an DVC80 (the non progressive scan DVX.. does anyone remember that one?? LOL )

U can always match the 2 in post, but trust me, its relaly not worth the time it takes to do that.. and its not as easy as it sounds..

Mike Oveson July 31st, 2006 02:49 PM

I have a friend that shoots with a DVX100B and a Canon GL-2. Worlds apart. Absolutely. I'd find a used DVX100A if you can. I've got a 100A and it works great with the 100B. I had a shoot this weekend (short film) with my friend's 100B and the two cameras worked great together. It's just hard to find anything that will match the progressive look and the color rendition of the DVX without it actually being a DVX. Best of luck.

Peter Jefferson August 1st, 2006 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
I have a friend that shoots with a DVX100B and a Canon GL-2. Worlds apart. Absolutely. I'd find a used DVX100A if you can. I've got a 100A and it works great with the 100B. I had a shoot this weekend (short film) with my friend's 100B and the two cameras worked great together. It's just hard to find anything that will match the progressive look and the color rendition of the DVX without it actually being a DVX. Best of luck.

Im yet to find a camera with the dynamic range of this unit...
no seriously... from all the 1/3rd cams ive used.. nothin comes close..

Billy Mallari October 2nd, 2006 05:50 PM

How about the JVC HD100 something -shoulder cam(cant remember the exact model number)? It can shoot 24p and HD. I think Peter mentioned on a separate thread that it can be a good match for the DVX100

Peter Jefferson October 3rd, 2006 01:01 AM

yeah Billy it is.. IMO, its even nicer with gamma controls than the HVX.. as in wider range.. closer to the DVX.. even closer to the DVX than the HVX is..
and matching the 2 is VERY easy... upscaling PAL Progessive scan to 720p is only marginally softer.. and to be honest, if u didnt have the two shots side by side, it would be VERY difficult to tell that the DVX was scaled up..