Did I sell myself short? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Did I sell myself short?

Had a message on my answering machine yesterday from a still photog who was looking for a last minute videographer for a wedding on Sunday. He said he only wanted the raw footage from me and wanted to know how much I'd charge. Using the info from the recent 'freelance rates' thread, I came up with 350. I called him up, and he was ok with that, since it was last minute, and then mentioned that he wanted another cam (unmanned) to catch a second angle of the ceremony. Ok, I figured another 50 bucks for that. He was good with that too. Then he said he wanted it on dvd. I said I would compress it and throw it on a few disks for another 50.
My question to you guys is--did I shortchange myself on the second cam and transfer to dvd prices? It's going to be a great shoot since it's at Gillette's Castle, a cool place built in 1919 by actor William Gillette. It's right on the Connecticut River--I anticipate some fine footage...
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

seems to me that hes offered a video package of jsut the footage to the client for about a grand or so.. maybe more.. considering hes not sneezing at the rates youve offered...

Also the fact he wants teh footage on DVD tells me that he has no intention of editing..

Dont get me wrong, hes entitled to a finders fee, but only of up to 10% of the total cost of what the client is paying.. u can even bring that to 5% if its a big package (which this isnt.. )

eitehr way, youll have some top notch footage to mess with.. youll have the raw footage and agreat portfolio location to show off..
All this for one day shoot and maybe 5 hours authorign DVDs

If you dont do this regualarly, then tak advantage of teh fact that your at least getting paid.. if u do this regualarly, then it might be wise to set up hourly rates..

I dont charge less than $700 to shoot for 12 hours when im shooting for the "friendly oppostion" ex tapes and transport...

if they want it on disc, its 55 bux per hour...
if they want covers, add 20bux to cover design
i
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques