DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   quick release setup... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/72418-quick-release-setup.html)

Vincent Croce July 27th, 2006 12:15 PM

quick release setup...

I'm looking to be able to quickly switch my cam from the Glidecam 4000 to my tripod. What are some options in quick release heads that I would be able to use with a Slik 700DX tripod? I've searched B&H's site and I want to make sure I get the right gear for this. Thanks.

Don Bloom July 27th, 2006 08:22 PM

The 501/503 Bogen heads and the Bogen QR577 all use the same quick release plates and mounts. I have 2 tripods with 503s and a monopod with a QR577 for my 150s and switching is fast smooth and easy. I wish the plate from my 516 head would work with the QR577 but alas ;-(

Anyway search B&H for the QR577-I think it'll be the answer for you.

Don B

Vincent Croce July 28th, 2006 05:02 AM

So would I be able to adapt the head on my Slik 700 to the QR577, or would I have to pick up a Bogen 3433 head for it as well...would the Bogen head even fit on my cheapo Slik tripod?
Thanks, Don.

Don Bloom July 28th, 2006 05:43 AM

The QR577 will fit on the head of any tripod or monopod or brace or whatever as long as it has either a 1/4-20 OR 3/8s screw. I believe the SLIK has only a 1/4X20 which is fine. The QR577 is a flat mounting mechanisim so there should be no problem at all. BTW, cost is about $50.00

Don

Vincent Croce July 28th, 2006 05:55 AM

So wouldn't I need 2 of the lower portions of the QR577, one for the GCam and one for the tripod? Sorry if I'm belaboring this thing, I just want to be clear before I place my order...

Don Bloom July 28th, 2006 08:06 AM

No problem. Yes you would need a unit for every support device so you do need t oorder 2 of the QR577s. They both have the device that mounts to the tripod or whatever and a camera mounting plate so you'd have an extra one. I think I have a few laying around myself. Take a look at B&H and see the unit to make sure it's what you are looking for but I think it is and will do the job for you.
SEARCH FOR: bogen 577.

Don B.

Vincent Croce July 28th, 2006 08:18 AM

Thanks again, Don. Just the info I needed. I'm ordering 2 of those puppies right now (just a smidge over 50). Seems like a perfect solution to me--I've been using my Glidecam to get the b&g coming down the aisle but I've had to leave it on the Glidecam through the ceremony due to the time it takes to swap it to the tripod. Cam 2 would probably fill in just fine while I swapped, but I like this method much more.
Vin

Don Bloom July 28th, 2006 10:01 AM

Good, it sounds like a plan.
Have fun,
Don B

Vincent Croce August 1st, 2006 05:26 AM

Got them in the mail yesterday-just what the video doctor ordered! The quality appears excellent and I can't wait for my next wedding to try them out. You mentioned you have Bogen 503 heads on a couple of your tripods-what's your opinion of them? I'll eventually be moving up in that department, too.