DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   My Wedding Recap Highlight Video from first wedding. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/72428-my-wedding-recap-highlight-video-first-wedding.html)

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 01:43 PM

My Wedding Recap Highlight Video from first wedding.

Hello all,

I just finished shooting my first wedding. It was for a friend and I just made this wedding recap to see how things turned out and to share with you fine folks. Some of the shots are a bit shaky but im working on it. Overall, I was very pleased with how things turned out. Thanks

http://www.brickroadvideo.com/profitceremony.wmv
Song: The Rose by Bette Midler
Size: 34MB
Right Click and Save Target As.

Cara Starr July 27th, 2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr
Hello all,

I just finished shooting my first wedding. It was for a friend and I just made this wedding recap to see how things turned out and to share with you fine folks. Some of the shots are a bit shaky but im working on it. Overall, I was very pleased with how things turned out. Thanks

http://www.brickroadvideo.com/profitceremony.wmv
Song: The Rose by Bette Midler
Size: 34MB
Right Click and Save Target As.

I see the shakiness you mentioned, but that aside, I really liked it! Even the song fit really well (and I'm no bette fan). The shots of each of the bridesmaids coming in seemed quick, but I know you were trying to fit it all to the music. For the first one, I say you did very well. Best of Luck!
Cara

Monday Isa July 27th, 2006 02:19 PM

Congrats on filming your first wedding. The wonderful part you did it for a friend. Easy way to get your feet wet. One very distracting element is that your slow-mo killed my eyes. It's like it was shot at a high shutter interlaced and then you slow-mo'ed it and it was just to distracting. I guess the best way to say it is that it was like two images on top of each other. Besides that good job on your first attempt and keep pushing yourself practicing and viewing others clips and get some training material (it helps (helped me)). Take Care thanks for sharing

Monday

Chris Barcellos July 27th, 2006 02:28 PM

John:

For some reason, the aspect ratio seems off, and everyone seemed a bit "squished" to me. Did you do some fooling with the aspect ratio, or am I just imagining things ? It was showing in about a 16:9 format on my Real and Media players.

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 02:35 PM

It was 16:9 and I dunno whether its when I captured it in Premiere or when I rendered it but its like super huge. Maybe that can explain it. The only other thing I can think of is im doing something wrong with the footage.

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 02:41 PM

Also, on initial exports the interlacing was awful. I applied a Field Interpolate filter but now it makes the slow-mo all blurry. How can I go about fixing it?

Jerry Porter July 27th, 2006 02:57 PM

"It was 16:9 and I dunno whether its when I captured it in Premiere or when I rendered it but its like super huge. Maybe that can explain it. The only other thing I can think of is im doing something wrong with the footage."

When you brought into premire did you have the settings right for the project? Try importing it into another timeline with different settings.

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 03:01 PM

Yeah I will try that. When I set the footage into the timeline on a widescreen project it doesn't fit. I have to "interpret" the footage from Square Pixel's to Widescreen. I assume thats not what it's supposed to do. I will keep trying with different things. Thanks for the quick feedback everyone.

Chris Barcellos July 27th, 2006 06:01 PM

John:

What are you shooting with ? Looks to me like you are shooting in with a 4:3 format, and squishing it into wide screen. If thats the case, you will have distortion. You would need to crop if you are doing that.

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 06:28 PM

I shoot with a Panasonic DVC30.

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 07:05 PM

It's wierd because it shoots 16:9 but when I do a widescreen project it imports it as 4:3 so I have to interpret the footage which is where I assume I get the "squished" look. It all fits fine in a standard project. I checked the camera and it was in Normal so I don't know.

Brian Andrews July 27th, 2006 08:09 PM

Nice work there. The clip of the empty church could maybe be left on the cutting room floor--there are people standing around and a man walking upstairs. I like the song and the overall speed of the clip. Maybe at the very end you could add in the live audio of "Mr & Mrs whoever" and the crowd clapping.

How many cameras did you have going and where were they located? Are all your cams DVC30s?

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 08:23 PM

One DVC30 and one Canon consumer backup. I moved around quite alot during the ceremony. There were three balconies so I took advantage of it. I see what you are saying about the church shot. I have another church shot but I liked this one better for some reason. I'll keep the announcment of the couple suggestion handy. Thanks for the reply.

John Brickner Jr July 27th, 2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

It's wierd because it shoots 16:9 but when I do a widescreen project it imports it as 4:3 so I have to interpret the footage which is where I assume I get the "squished" look. It all fits fine in a standard project. I checked the camera and it was in Normal so I don't know.

Upon further review I realized that Normal IS 4:3 on a DVC30. That's why it's all messed up lol. Oops...I'll just redo it in a 4:3 project. Squeeze is the 16:9 mode. Chalk this one up to experience.

Chris Barcellos July 28th, 2006 01:18 AM

Quote:

One DVC30 and one Canon consumer backup. I moved around quite alot during the ceremony. There were three balconies so I took advantage of it. I see what you are saying about the church shot. I have another church shot but I liked this one better for some reason. I'll keep the announcment of the couple suggestion handy. Thanks for the reply.

Glad you got the format issue resolved.

As with others, I don't think you need the empty church shot. I would lose it. And the church sign is a bit strange for what looks like a beautiful building. You can stretch this particular piece by putting bride entering in slow motion. As it is now, she looks a bit jerky as she is coming in. Slow motion would make her more graceful. Take it down to something like 60% of normal.