Disengaging Auto-turnoff on XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 29th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Disengaging Auto-turnoff on XL1

hello, I am wondering if there is any way to turn off the auto turn-off feature like with the xl2 (and I think with the xl1s) so I can record to a laptop via firewire and not have the camera turn off every few minutes. (sorry if this sound fairly dumb)

Josh
Josh Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Major Player

This feature has annoyed me so very frequently that I can't even say. There is no way to turn it off.

However, recently I was setting up shots with the Xl1 and I didn't have a tape in it. I was just using it to see what things would look like in the monitor. Amazingly, it never turned off. All I can think is that not having a tape in it changes things. If so, that might for firewire recording also. Try it.

Good luck.
Old July 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Rudy
hello, I am wondering if there is any way to turn off the auto turn-off feature like with the xl2 (and I think with the xl1s) so I can record to a laptop via firewire and not have the camera turn off every few minutes. (sorry if this sound fairly dumb)

Josh
Go into the VCR settings menu "Power Save" and set it from "Shut Off" to "VCR Stop." The camera will move the tape away from the heads to save wear, but it ready to go when you hit record. It will stay on.

Mike
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmm, thanks Barry I'm going to try that now. Mike, I think your talking about the XL1S, cause my XL1 doesn't have a power save option when I press menu in vcr mode. I am going to see if imovie will record without the camera record (I've had this happen once). Thank you both for the help
Josh Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Rudy
Hmm, thanks Barry I'm going to try that now. Mike, I think your talking about the XL1S, cause my XL1 doesn't have a power save option when I press menu in vcr mode. I am going to see if imovie will record without the camera record (I've had this happen once). Thank you both for the help
Opps---the missing "S"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques