How did you choose your business name? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How did you choose your business name?

I apologize if this has been asked numerous times... The search feature and I are not really getting along at the moment.

I was just wondering if some of you could tell me what you've named your wedding/event videography business and why. (Perhaps this belongs in the "Taking Care of Business" forum but I'm asking here because this is the type of business I hope to launch.) I am trying to come up with something and it's like because I'm actually thinking about it, I'm getting nowhere. If I weren't focusing on it, it would prolly just come to me.

The name just feels so important to me. It has to be good. Any thoughts/ideas/insight?
Cara Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well lets see, 35 years ago as a still photog I used my name with the title 'photography' after it. when I switched over to video 23 years ago, I figured why change? So I've always used my name but now it says 'video services' after it. I like simple and since I do other things besides weddings it keeps it all in the same name. I didn't want a 'wedding name' when I'm doing a 2 day seminar or training video for a corporation/company.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

like Don, i do more than just weddings, so for me, the name needed to convey an artistic element within a technical profession, which deals with the elementals of what i do.

Names are difficult..,
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What Peter said,

We get asked what our name really means.

My response is that we take a drop of your desire and design dreams. It's a focus on our strength which is our creativity and unique and personal approach to providing services for our clients.

We are about dreams...
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Wrangler

I'm actually in the process of a name change. Currently I'm using my name but it's too many syllables and difficult to spell for some. I'm going for a single syllable, easy to pronounce, easy to remember and someone poignant to the genre (even if it's simply on a metaphorical level) name.

Yes...it's that difficult. I've been brainstorming for over a year.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I'm actually in the process of a name change. Currently I'm using my name but it's too many syllables and difficult to spell for some. I'm going for a single syllable, easy to pronounce, easy to remember and someone poignant to the genre (even if it's simply on a metaphorical level) name.

You could do GE Video, and spin it at GE, we bring good things to life. But you might get sued by that big electronic company.

By the way Glen, let me know if you're ever this way.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7
New Boot

Well, I'm part of a group of people that goes by the name Paradox Dimensions.

We mostly do musicvideos and documentaries of all kinds.

We came up with the name when we were around 13 years old, We thought it sounded cool =) Not the best of reasons I know but we're too used to the name now to change it hehe.
Nick Dennerstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Major Player

My wife and I combined our 1st names and came up with Shark Video Productions, Sharon & Mark. It's catchy and easy to remember, Plus clients ask us all the time how we came up with it and when we tell them they always like the story and remember us. We listed a bunch of ideas before we came up with this. It took us some time but it has worked well for us so far.
My advice is to find something that's easy to remember and sticks with the clients.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:46 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bournes
My wife and I combined our 1st names and came up with Shark Video Productions, Sharon & Mark. It's catchy and easy to remember, Plus clients ask us all the time how we came up with it and when we tell them they always like the story and remember us. We listed a bunch of ideas before we came up with this. It took us some time but it has worked well for us so far.
My advice is to find something that's easy to remember and sticks with the clients.

That's close to mine, My name is Sharp Video Productions, I thought it was simple and also implies quality.
Craig Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott

Yeah, I'm in the same boat Glen. I'm splitting up my partnership and I've got to find a new name. My current company name is too long. People can't remember it (Silent Mountain Studios). I like the name but I'm going for something shorter and easier to remember. And you're too right about how difficult it is. I've only been at it for a couple of weeks, but it sure is hard.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM   #11
Trustee

Your biz name is important. It took me seemingly forever to come up with something. In my case it was Cutlass Film & Video Productions. I specifically didn't want to be connected with video first. (It's an aversion to wedding videos thing. I had a couple of bad experiences years ago... a couple of more years of counselling and I should be OK).

The name comes from the street name of a house we own on a small island (all the streets names are pirate themed). It's a tribute to the house because I mortgaged it to get back into the biz.

If the name doesn't scare brides off, then my pirate flag/film strip logo should do the trick.

http://clients.webacom.com/cuttlass_...iness_card.pdf
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Trustee

What's in a nae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
Yeah, I'm in the same boat Glen. I'm splitting up my partnership and I've got to find a new name. My current company name is too long. People can't remember it (Silent Mountain Studios). I like the name but I'm going for something shorter and easier to remember. And you're too right about how difficult it is. I've only been at it for a couple of weeks, but it sure is hard.
I operated just using my name because it is the easiest legal way to do business. Then I decided that no one cared abotu my name so I needed to find something else. I came up with Idaho Digital Productions because it can include still photography (my partner) and many types of video besides just weddings, which I hope to grow into as well.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM   #13
Major Player

I was going through Greek goddesses...

I really liked the name Nyx (which is the Goddess of the Night) but of course, "nix" means "no" and I didn't want attached to my business. I was toying with Castaic (a fountain goddess) because I liked the whole Jungian water thing. And then my husband popped out with "lightsong films". He said he was trying to think of something I would like.

We just got our business license today. it's nice.

I think I'm going to have my own division which will be Lightsong Weddings and I'm going to have different logos for.

I'd encourage you to spend some time with a thesaurus. A friend of mine who is quite successful and owns several businesses has named almost all of his with the help of the thesaurus.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Mine's "MSProductions" I just used my initial "M" & "S" and added "productions" onto it...it had a nice ring to it so I kept it.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM   #15
Major Player

I used my name with Video Productions, so its MVP..which has a nice connotation, unfortunately some other guys have mvp.com when I went to get a domain... I don't think they have the $$ to sue though..LOL if they still have it, but I have moved more to focusing on my voice over services and produce select projects for myself. the state pays me to do video M thru F.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques