Clip to share... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice O Carroll
I think you make a great cup of tea, Glen... I guess it boils down to taste.

M
Thanks Maurice.
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Heuer
Glen

I love your clips, They give me such great inspiration. I do have a question for you. Can you send me a list of the questions you ask the b&g during an interview? I did a quick search and got some questions but I would like a little longer list. I am going to interview the b&g groom for the first time I normally do not want to do this but the bride really wants it. Also do you have a link to all of the clips that you have posted. I did a search and some of your older stuff is not available anymore.

Thanks

Nick
Nick, thank you for the kind words. Here's a link to an article that inspired me:
http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...ArticleID=9830

It's a good starting point. Check out Ken's other articles on EventDV as well, many of them tie into the same subject.
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #18
New Boot

Glen

Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for.
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Excellent video!!

I love the use of some black & white clips and slow motion. You have told an ordinary wedding story in a very interesting way. Ordinary people become movie stars!

I have learnt a lot from your work and I will try to use your style next time when I shoot & edit my kid's performances.

Kenneth
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Loved it!

Thank you so much for sharing it, Glen. Not that this means a whole heck of a lot these days, but I have a M.F.A. in Film, and while in school I was always taught to stay away from the "creative" camera moves because they distract the story being told. Contrary to that, every wedding video I see these days seems to try to outdo the other one in terms of fancy tricks, and unless it's something extremely unique, they tend to all look like the same video after awhile. I think this narrative approach is very unique -- I was so immersed in the couple's story that didn't even notice the minor things others have pointed out. To me, it is an awesome piece of work.
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #21
Inner Circle

As usual nice work mate.. like afew others have mentioned, it really isnt something which hooks me though, but one can see how much work goes into something like this, its a well paced and tight fitting piece which works. Most of the Doco Style clips ive seen are a little of centre or lacking, but this flows quite nicely. It still has that Elliot flavour but with alot of your work, i DO notice that in the past, some clips were a little too overworked (for my taste), and this moves away from that, which is a good way to show the natural flow and a different element to yoru style.
Am i making any sense?

"was always taught to stay away from the "creative" camera moves because they distract the story being told."
And this is where weddings are different.. basically youre working with the same script with different actors, so making each stand out from the other is paramount to business success... you dont want to fall into the generic wedding video category.. coz then ur just tossed aside like everyone else who refused to detract from a certain theme or style or "how it should be's ".
With weddings, there is no "how it should be" and trying to stick to "rules' is silly in any live situation.
Weddings offer teh most creative freedom for any producer, so i recomend to ANYONE to take advantag of that freedom.
Camera moves are one way of showing an ordinary (to us its ordinary) wedding and make its something more.. as with colour gradings, and filters, transitions, effects... u can either use them generically, or be clever with them and create someting different.

We know what the story is about u see.. as does every other potential client... but HOW we tell that story... well thats up to us... and its the "HOW" which either makes or breaks us...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter, point well taken. And I've only shot a few weddings, so I definitely appreciate what you said. I shouldn't have generalized, it's just in my recent preparation, I've just seen a lot of really bad wedding video which IMO is relying too much on camera technique. But I do think you learn from work that is done poorly as you do from work that is done brillantly. This clip is probably just done more in the "style" that is in my comfort zone. I'm still just learning the ropes here, and I realize that I'm in a completely different ballgame than the work I to do (that left me practically homeless!). That's what I meant by "it doesn't mean a heck of a lot" -- except to the bank every month I get my (outrageous) loan payment bill :-) Thanks again!

Beth
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #23
Regular Crew

what camera are you using in that clip?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Dill
Thank you so much for sharing it, Glen. Not that this means a whole heck of a lot these days, but I have a M.F.A. in Film, and while in school I was always taught to stay away from the "creative" camera moves because they distract the story being told. Contrary to that, every wedding video I see these days seems to try to outdo the other one in terms of fancy tricks, and unless it's something extremely unique, they tend to all look like the same video after awhile. I think this narrative approach is very unique -- I was so immersed in the couple's story that didn't even notice the minor things others have pointed out. To me, it is an awesome piece of work.
Thanks Beth. I know what your talking about and agree. I believe fancy camera moves should support your video not cary it completly. In other words used to spice up the main content rather than taking it's place.

You indicated in another post that you haven't seen much of my work- a lot of my older stuff is in stark contrast to this piece. This is an example of the new direction I'm taking my videography.

As always with anything- some on the forum will like it some wont. The same goes with your clients, thus the reason staying flexible in wedding/event video is important. No two clients are the same, likewise with their tastes.

I think it's good to stretch your creative boundaries. I got so comfortable with my other style I wanted to expand my horizons and try something new. So far I'm enjoying it and feel, overall, it's making me a better editor and shooter.

Thanks for watching.
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
As usual nice work mate.. like afew others have mentioned, it really isnt something which hooks me though, but one can see how much work goes into something like this, its a well paced and tight fitting piece which works. Most of the Doco Style clips ive seen are a little of centre or lacking, but this flows quite nicely. It still has that Elliot flavour but with alot of your work, i DO notice that in the past, some clips were a little too overworked (for my taste), and this moves away from that, which is a good way to show the natural flow and a different element to yoru style.
Am i making any sense?
Makes completes sense. I knew some people wouldn't be as fond of this style compared to my previous work as it's less "grandios" looking. Less "flash" and more (at least what I feel is..) substance.

With Wedding videography I feel the most important element is the individual couple's story. I'm trying to focus on what makes each couple different (back-stories on how they met, their personal experiences during the day, their feelings at various moments during the day) rather than what makes them the same (white dress, chruch wedding, reception activities).
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Antoniou
what camera are you using in that clip?
Sony PD-170 and Sony VX2100
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks, is there much difference between picture quality of the PD150 and PD170?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Antoniou
Thanks, is there much difference between picture quality of the PD150 and PD170?
Not at all. The 170 has a "slightly" higher low light (1lux) rating but that has nothing to do with the optics and glass. More so with tweaks to the electronic gain algorithm.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Here's a clip from a recent wedding. Going for more of a narrative/doc approach.

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/MooneyPrep.wmv
The video was great but there was no audio! Did anyone else have this problem? Would love to see both audio and video.
Linda Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #30
Wrangler

What OS and video player are you using?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques