Clip to share... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 1st, 2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Wrangler

Clip to share...

Here's a clip from a recent wedding. Going for more of a narrative/doc approach.

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/MooneyPrep.wmv
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i thought it was excellent. even got a little teary eyed.
Cara Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM   #3
New Boot

That was brilliant, i never would have thought of anything like it.
Craig Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Glen,

As always, great work!

One possible bone of contention (for me): sometimes the voiceover seems to compete with the song lyrics. Granted, this could be subjective b/c I like the song and so my ear naturally hones into the song and therefore the voiceover seems in the way. The voices in the video over the lyrics seem to blend well, but at least on a few occassions, the voiceover parts felt too busy.

However, the voiceover works perfectly during the instrumental parts. Too bad there's not more of those in the song.

BTW, hats off for the approach! I'm sure the couple will love it.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Still Motion

I really enjoyed the retrospective interview over top of the preps. The shot of the church coming out of the flag was absolutely gorgeous. I was expecting something a little different when I read preps in the clip name, and then I saw the ceremony footage in the clip. I'de be curious to hear how that fits into the overall video- would there be any other preps portion besides possibly the highlights? Would this play first and then the ceremony would start? I think I'de be tempted to almost label that as a trailer and have it set apart on the DVD menu- I think it does a great job of getting you interested in seeing more of the video.

Althought it seemed to fit much better in the doc style you did here, I'm not a big fan of the camera shake and half zooms, but it is likely not something that would be noticed by most who will view it. Great clip!

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Very nice. I notice a bit of clipping at one point with her voice overs near the end, but that might just be my sound problem. Great use of a documentary style. I actually like that more than the "flying camera" things many people are using these days.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cottrone
Glen,

As always, great work!

One possible bone of contention (for me): sometimes the voiceover seems to compete with the song lyrics. Granted, this could be subjective b/c I like the song and so my ear naturally hones into the song and therefore the voiceover seems in the way. The voices in the video over the lyrics seem to blend well, but at least on a few occassions, the voiceover parts felt too busy.

However, the voiceover works perfectly during the instrumental parts. Too bad there's not more of those in the song.

BTW, hats off for the approach! I'm sure the couple will love it.
Yeah it's a difficult science to get the right audio levels for the music bed under VO's. Especially music with lyrics. Usually I edit to instrumental only and use very cinematic style scores. The stark change was part of my attempt to create a more tailored, personal, end product. All the songs used are ones requested from the client.

Additionally it isn't necessarily as "dramatic" as some of my other work- again this ties in with the style. I want the video to be an "accurate" reflection of the couple. Slow and sappy thoughout would not fit the bill in this case.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
I really enjoyed the retrospective interview over top of the preps. The shot of the church coming out of the flag was absolutely gorgeous. I was expecting something a little different when I read preps in the clip name, and then I saw the ceremony footage in the clip. I'de be curious to hear how that fits into the overall video- would there be any other preps portion besides possibly the highlights? Would this play first and then the ceremony would start? I think I'de be tempted to almost label that as a trailer and have it set apart on the DVD menu- I think it does a great job of getting you interested in seeing more of the video.

Althought it seemed to fit much better in the doc style you did here, I'm not a big fan of the camera shake and half zooms, but it is likely not something that would be noticed by most who will view it. Great clip!

Patrick
Thanks for the feedback Patrick. I know exactly like you mean in regards to the camera movment. It's made more evident because I'm now not hiding safely behind the guise of slow-motion and only using my "creative" shots. Using less slow-motion, as illustrated in this clip, will force me to be a better handheld camera operator.

I do feel some of it is somewhat naturally accepted by the viewer in respect to this style. People are so used to seeing camera movement in doc style productions- not that it's an excuse for shake, but I think I can squeak by easier than if the shake was in a clip featuring all cinematic music and sweeping camera moves. Oddly enough I've seen camera shake becoming more prevelent as a "style" which seemed to be isolated to NYPD blue at one point. Just this weekend I caught the movie Miami Vice (I'm a big Michael Mann fan) and there was camera shake, and get this- half zooms throughout. The latter being something VERY rare in a film production. I know film cameras don't have "zoom" lenses but several shots in the film had a short zoom effect like someone operating a manual zoom lense made a short, abrupt adjustment in focal length. But yes.....mine weren't mean for "effect" and something I need to address.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Very nice. I notice a bit of clipping at one point with her voice overs near the end, but that might just be my sound problem. Great use of a documentary style. I actually like that more than the "flying camera" things many people are using these days.
I think I know what your describing. When I edited this I made sure my audio mix was within a safe range thoughout. There were however times when the brides voice got boomy and sounded almost shrill through the mic- despite the fact I was getting no clipping in-cam during the interview session. It's what I get for shooting the interviews using a small diaphram mic (ie lapel mic) place too close to the subjects mouth.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Glen, thanks for making that in Windows media. I havent been able to view your work for the past few years, only able to read the rave reviews and feeling outside the loop. Now Im in!!!!!!! anyway very nice work and thanks for sharing. I learn so much from you all here. Thanks again TAG
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Interesting approach, but not my cup of tea. I'm sure that the couple was pleased---and at the end of the day that's all that counts.

I loved the camera angle of the bride coming down the aisle (at about ankle height) and the wide angle of the inside of the church---absolutely beautiful! You had some very visually stunning shots in the clip....

Was this a 2 or a 3 cam shoot? How long after the ceremony did you do the "interviews"?
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I think you make a great cup of tea, Glen... I guess it boils down to taste.

M
Maurice O Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM   #13
New Boot

Glen

I love your clips, They give me such great inspiration. I do have a question for you. Can you send me a list of the questions you ask the b&g during an interview? I did a quick search and got some questions but I would like a little longer list. I am going to interview the b&g groom for the first time I normally do not want to do this but the bride really wants it. Also do you have a link to all of the clips that you have posted. I did a search and some of your older stuff is not available anymore.

Thanks

Nick
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lyons
Hi Glen, thanks for making that in Windows media. I havent been able to view your work for the past few years, only able to read the rave reviews and feeling outside the loop. Now Im in!!!!!!! anyway very nice work and thanks for sharing. I learn so much from you all here. Thanks again TAG
Terry I only ever use WMV or MPG formats. ???
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Blais
Interesting approach, but not my cup of tea. I'm sure that the couple was pleased---and at the end of the day that's all that counts.

I loved the camera angle of the bride coming down the aisle (at about ankle height) and the wide angle of the inside of the church---absolutely beautiful! You had some very visually stunning shots in the clip....

Was this a 2 or a 3 cam shoot? How long after the ceremony did you do the "interviews"?
Thanks for the feedback. 3 cam ceremony- 2 cam reception. The interviews were shot aprox 2 months after the event.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques