DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Pricing!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/73136-pricing.html)

Todd Westacott August 7th, 2006 07:38 AM

Pricing!!!

I have been in business for a about a year or so and offer packages starting at $900. I am just wondering if I should raise my prices to the same level as the market gradually or just make the jump in one step. I am in Toronto, Canada so my market charges a minimum of $1300 and gets an avereage of about $2000 for a wedding.

Here is my website so everyone can take a look and view some examples of my work

www.visiondigitalstudios.com

Peter Jefferson August 7th, 2006 08:16 AM

how much is your work worth to you?

As for what i do, i have different prices for people marrying at differnt times of the year, as well as people marrying in years to come (i get bookings up to and about 18months to 2 years in advance) so what i charge now, wont be what im chargin ppl gettin married this time next year..

Sheldon Blais August 7th, 2006 08:20 AM

**Thinks about moving to Toronto**

Let the market set your prices. I don't have a "pricing list", I base my price on the services people ask for.

Steven Davis August 7th, 2006 08:38 AM

One suggestion Todd, I would not put another artists work on my site, unless they were part of my company. Next wedding or two, take a bunch of photos and put your own work on your webpage, the first thing I noticed was the picture by someone other than your name. Just my two cents.

I like the webpage, very easy to navigate.

Todd Westacott August 7th, 2006 08:48 AM

Thanks for the tip Steven....

The photographer who's pictures I am currently using is somewhat of an associate of mine. Although she doesn't work for me we constantly send clients to each other.

However I will take my digital camera to the next few weddings and begin to replace those pictures.

As far as pricing do you guys think it is wise to jump my prices to the market standard here or should I bring them up gradually?

Damian Clarke August 7th, 2006 09:14 AM

Hi Todd, I live in the UK and am still in the planning stages of my business so I find it really interesting seeing how other people are doing. I had a look at your footage and prices and from what you say about your market, put your prices up. You charge $1700 CAD for your top package. I converted this to UK pounds and it works out as only £795. Now I don't know the ins and outs of your economy or your cost of living etc but here that's about as low as a good video will go for just the basics (ceremony and reception until the first dance). Your top package includes a 30min documentary, bride groom preps, engagement film and photo montage etc. That sounds time consuming to me (maybe I'm just a really slow editor though! hehe). Your work seems really nice so massage your ego more and put a few more notes in your pocket ;)
I wonder if I take my own advice in the future? I have a habit of selling myself short, no-matter what I do, doh! I just don't like seeing others do the same. Good luck in the meantime m8 :)

Peter Jefferson August 7th, 2006 09:17 AM

hey todd, for now, why not take some grabs of your own footage?? and actually leave a blurb on ur site saying "stills taken directly from video" or somthing liek that.. this will showcase more of ur work, and maybe even offer added value to the client.

Patrick Moreau August 7th, 2006 09:22 AM

Hey Todd,

I live just down the QEW from you, so I'm very familiar with your market. I would suggest raising the quality of your product, then bringing your prices up later, then as the quality rises, bring the prices up again. I haven't seen too much of your work, so I'm not talking about you personally, but I think that has been a great strategy for us in this area to get lots of bookings, keep our clients extremely satisfied, and quickly bring our prices closer to what they are worth in under a year. We have done the overall increase in a bout three stages, and I think that really helps as it keeps most of your referrals interested (as it is much tougher if they hear what their friend paid and now your prices are doubled, with a relatively similar quality).

I just sent replied to your email about the cams for sale and shooting with us. We should get together for a shoot and talk some more.

Tom Tomkowiak August 7th, 2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Westacott
.......do you guys think it is wise to jump my prices to the market standard here or should I bring them up gradually?

Todd, I doubt people track the prices of wedding videographers the same as, say, watching the price of gasoline at various stations. In other words, if you think a 30% price increase overnight is justified, do it. Only the fence hangers, or those who were referred by your previous clients who paid a lower price, might have a comment.

Obviously, if you've already quoted someone the old price, you should go with the quote unless you made it clear it was valid only if they signed the contract by a specific date.