Glidecam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Glidecam

Hello

I was given a glidecam 1000 for free and was wondering if anyone can tell me any tricks for learning how to use.

Thanks
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Nicholas,
I've been using my glidecam v8 for years and i found the best practice technique is to go outside find a wall and put a cross on it with duck tape (make the cross around 2 foot across) then put a small cross in the center of the monitor with a dry wipe pen (not a permenant) and then walk around keeping the cross on the monitor over the cross on the wall.

Andy.
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Andy, easier said then done my friend. Tell nick about the balancing that's required. First off what type of camera you're using Nick? Because the wait of the camera and the wait of the plates needs to match up for the balance. Then before fine tuning it you need to test it with the (i think they called it a 90 deg test) this is when you hold the glidecam and move it up to about 90 deg from the center and drop it. Depending on your camera weight and proper counter weight, it should be swing down to the center at 1.5-2 secs. If not then keep tweaking that first before you start to fine tune it by moving the plates back and forth and side to side. That's my 2 cents
Canon XL2/Glidecam 4000/SteadyStick
Sony PVM-1350 Monitor
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
New Boot

I have a VX2000.
I did not have a manual but I called glidecam and they sent me one so I will balance it out and see. I read numerous reviews that said the best thing to do is practice practice practice. Which I plan to do. I think the tape ideal is great once i get it all ballanced. Thanks guys and keep the tips & tricks coming.
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Go re post in the stabilizer forum within dvinfo. You will get a lot more responses, and from people who use stabilizers all the time.

There's a guy named charle papert, he is a pro steadicam op in hollywood.....hes really good about helping new stabilizer ops in the forum.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks

I have been only focusing on this forum because that is what I do and wanted info from people who are only using these in the weeding inviroment.
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Major Player

understand.....BUT, you should want the advice from operators who are are very proficient. That is where youll get the best tips. NOT from someone who rarely uses a stabilizer. Some wedding pros use them a lot though but getting advice for "tricks and tips".....makes no difference whether you shoot weddings or short films or whatever. The general operation is the same in most cases.

The biggest so called "trick" to learning to use the stabilizer is....A LOT of practice. There are no shortcuts. Shoot w/ a wide angle lens....and keep your camera lesn at wide as well....atleast for while. Do not try to use it it in very tight areas....at first, you wil knock into things because of your lack of awareness. WHen you are not shooting.....put the stabilzer down(dock it), rest your arm....fatigue will come.

Also, there is a time and a place to use the stabilizer, once you get the general moves you will tend to use down.....plan when you want to use the system at a particular prep/wedding/reception. You will produce much nicer shots rather than randomly walking around with it. Just because a shot is done with a stabilizer, does not make it a better shot.....plan accordingly.

You are only "limiting" yourself(knowledge wise) by keeping it here....really.
But do as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Heuer
Thanks

I have been only focusing on this forum because that is what I do and wanted info from people who are only using these in the weeding inviroment.
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks

I am going to do some searching in that forum. I really did not know it existed.
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #9
Major Player

oh, a lot of those guys on the stabilzer forum within dvinfo also post clips of their work.....(using stabilzers)....atleast youll get more of that to check out than on the wedding forum as well.

some of those people are really good.
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Major Player

I have a Glidecam 2000.

First, the forearm brace dramatically improves the ability to manage the system. They can also be made on your own. It is very difficult to use without the brace, IMHO. But not to bad with it. And I am big and rather strong. I keep on looking at the new low cost vest though.

Second, the forearm brace has a metal bracket that holds the handle. Clamping it to a table (or other solid object) and then adjusting the plate to get the balance. So far, this has made getting a good balance rather easy.

Third, make sure the camera mount is solid to the bracket. Using grip tape between the camera and the bracket works well.

Fourth, a extra quick release base to match the tripod makes moving it much easier.

Fifth, the mic is frequently mounted off the camera (wireless or boom pole) during shoots with the Glidecam. The camera is just not where the sound is. Like a dolly shot.

My 2¢,

David
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques