DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Package Add-Ons! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/73393-package-add-ons.html)

Todd Westacott August 10th, 2006 05:23 PM

Package Add-Ons!

Do any of you guys contact clients who have already signed with you and agreed on a price to offer them add-ons which you company didn't offer before but now does at an additional charge?

I am thinking of offering a 2nd videographer to the cost of my packages but have been debating contacting all of my signed clients and offering this add-on option to them at an additional cost. I am just not sure if they will look at it as offering them an additonal feature which will increase the quality of their video or if they will look at it as trying to get more money out of them.

Joe Allen Rosenberger August 10th, 2006 05:36 PM

Todd, your idea sounds fine. Personally I would call each of the clients you wish to inform on your add on, I think they would be able to tell in your voice that you are not trying to "up sell" them....emails are hard to guage often times.

Maybe tell them that you now offer this but at the time of them signing your contract you didnt.....no harm in that.

Greg Watts August 10th, 2006 05:37 PM

Well since you can't control what a client thinks, and you DO have a viable new option to offer then by all means let them all know about it. If they think it's not worth it then they won't add it. Your job is to not only offer it to them but show them what adding a second camera op to the production can do for them. Hell, for most clients, it's always in their best interest to consider each option on the merits of what it can do for their project.

But don't ever NOT offer an option because you're afraid they'll think it's just about padding your wallet because if you can reasonably show them the benefits then they'll understand. On the other hand, if you can't realistically show them a tangible benefit then I could see why you might not want to tell them because that's when you really are trying to simply pad your wallet. :) Most of us take every opportunity to educate our clients about all of our services and let them make an informed decision. I don't feel the slightest bit anxious in that way because if they turn my additional service down they at least understand what it could have brought to their project.

Cheers!

Paul Cypert August 10th, 2006 08:38 PM

I stay in regular communication with my clients from the time they first contact till well after the event is over. This endeers me to them, but it also allows me a space of trust to suggest other options. Sometimes I'm suggesting simple time changes (my last wedding they paid for me to come to the rehearsal on the beach and I set the wedding time!). Other times I discover a cool new option and since I talk to them a lot I can add it in casual conversation. Big difference in calling out of the blue and saying hey I've got something you can spend more money on. But as a friend can say, I've come into some more funds and have purchased another quality camera and have trained someone to use it. If you wanted we could add him in so that we can have a camera where you're getting ready and where your husband to be is getting ready...blah, blah...it works in conversation a lot better...especially when they trust you to be their advocate

Paul

Peter Chung August 11th, 2006 10:49 AM

Paul,

I was just wondering how you stay in contact with your clients regularly? How do you keep the lines of communication open? Do you just call just to say, "Hey, what's up?" or do you come up with good "reasons" to call and become a friend?

I am very interested in building relationships with my clients and other vendors as well but don't want to come off as bothersome.

Thanks,
Peter

Jason Robinson August 12th, 2006 01:12 AM

Customer Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Chung
Paul,

I was just wondering how you stay in contact with your clients regularly? How do you keep the lines of communication open? Do you just call just to say, "Hey, what's up?" or do you come up with good "reasons" to call and become a friend?

I am very interested in building relationships with my clients and other vendors as well but don't want to come off as bothersome.

Thanks,
Peter

I have not booked a wedding any more than 2 months in advance so keeping in contact isn't as much of an issue for me. :-)

Having said that, I always call two weeks before the wedding to confirm the appointment (this also falls on my "point of no refund for the deposit" date. I also call the week before to confirm the details of the appointment (times, locations, other concerns) and to set up a visit to the rehersal. I have found attending the rehersal a great service to myself. By that I mean it saves stress from the wedding day be eliminating some surprises. I have still had to move chairs when I arrived so I could re-claim my camera positions, etc but that will always happen.

Jason

Paul Cypert August 13th, 2006 03:30 AM

I don't know how I do it really. Just basic people skills :)

No, seriously I don't know how to describe it. I talk to them usually two or three times when they're booking me as a photographer. Maybe the second or third time I offer myself as a videographer as well. This is usually 5-6 months out mind you. I get both booked. Then I just stay in touch. I'll have dinner with some clients while we select packages or go through package options. I'll email and let them know if I've changed my website. I also have a blog with info.

I do just call out of the blue and ask it they're stressed and how things are coming. I make a point to call and not offer anything or suggest anything. Just call to say hey and check up. This is also for me as the more I talk to them the more I stay on top of other business stuff...as I get more busy maybe this will back off somewhat...but I have it in my business plan and all my scheduling to keep in contact. I force myself to set aside time to get to know them...this helps me provide exactly what they want. My wife and I are also on support as we're working with a relief organization. It's one of the things they push on you...stay in contact with your supporters...make time each week to email, write letters, call, etc...

The thing this does is not get them to blindly follow you. But you know them well enough to where you know what to suggest to them. You know if they're an ipod type couple or a birdseye maple wedding album upgrade or a scrapbooking kit couple because you know them...

Paul

Peter Chung August 13th, 2006 06:36 AM

Thanks, Jason and Paul.

It is just basic people skills :) Thanks for sharing some tips. It is very helpful.

I mainly stay in contact through email because I assume it is less invasive and think it is more convenient for everyone.

Peter