What do you use to make your DVD's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

What do you use to make your DVD's?

What do all of you PC users build your DVD disc with?

I am using Encore at the moment but find it a bit time consuming in Photoshop with the menus and wanted a faster package with built in Menu templates, but with the same amount of options as Encore.

Are you familiar with Ulead DVD workshop and if yes what do you think of it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Not Familiar with Ulead.

Pinnacle Studio has a decent DVD process, built into the the editing package. I will often prepare a project in Premiere, render it DV .avi, then pull it into Studio to make a DVD.

Also there is DVD Architect that comes in stripped down version Vegas Movie Studio.

Both have templates you can customize.
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Ulead Workshop 2 and expected an update (Workshop 3) a while ago, but Ulead have recently said that development is "on hold", so I would suggest that now is the wrong time to think of buying it.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks to both of you for your help.

What do you think of the workshop 2 version Paul at the moment for speed of use and templates etc?

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Paul, Encore comes with templates. In a crunch, I will also mix and match by using my own background but go with a template button.
Michael Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 and love it. . .

The older versions of Encore wern't as good - many nice updates in version 2.0

Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

DVD Architect.. if u know how to use powerpoint, youll know how to use this.. dead simple and when i do trade shows, i show potential buyers exactly how fast one can create a DVD...
With DVDA, ui can literally create a layout for a DVD with motion menus and scene selction menus in less than 5 minutes... actually when i do the demos i do the "wow factor" thing and pump out a full design in about 3 minutes flat... its that good...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Trustee

I use DVD Lab-Pro. Is at a good price and does a lot of things only higher priced software does, plus it is very intuitive. You can download a fully operation demo good for 30 days at cnet.

http://mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Paul, Workshop 2 is fine - easy to use and good results. But it can't handle 16:9 menus and certainly if you're shooting in 16:9 it's not the right program.

I've never tried Encore or DVD Architect, but had a trial with DVD-Lab Pro and I couldn't get to grips with it, which may very well be my fault.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Wrangler

Pixel Pops has some beautiful templates, not to mention they are running a sale right now.

http://pixelpops-shop.secure-shops22...tes_c_172.html
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #11
Major Player

I also use DVD WS Pro for my PC-based authoring.
Has always worked well and allows easy setup of DVD projects or you can dig in and make more advanced projects too.

I'm moving to FinalCut/DVD Studio Pro since I'm migrating to Mac-based work these days, but have been very satisfied with DVD WS 2 on the PC.

Paul D.'s note about the development being on-hold is something to consider, but if you're just looking to get started on an easy-to-use tool that still packs a lot more power that simple home-grade apps, DVD WS 2 is a good option.

Given that it sounds like you have the Adobe Suite already, it would still be very useful for you to eventually dig into Encore to get the most from your investment. Once you do become accustomed to the workflow, chances are your work (and upgrade path) will go much smoother staying in your "native" suite.
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jushchyshyn
I'm moving to FinalCut/DVD Studio Pro since I'm migrating to Mac-based work these days,
You too? My Mac Pro should be here tomorrow! Been learning FCP Studio for about 2 months now. I have a load of FCP Studio training DVDs I'm selling in the For Sale forum if your interested.
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Glen, say it ain't so! Are you no longer using Vegas, or a combo of the two? If not, why?
David McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Major Player

I also use DVD Workshop 2. I've used many apps and nothing equals its ease of use IMO. Plenty of features to make complex DVD's as well.

I don't understand why the development of this thing is on hold. It gets great reviews and I'd "think" it would be a good seller. I wonder if Ulead is having problems with licensing some codecs from sources or something - that's usually the case.

I also have Encore but for the life of me... I just don't have time nor the patience for it. It's about as intuitive as a Federal Tax Form.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM   #15
Major Player

to Paul (or anyone else that knows):

can you possibly confirm that DVD Workshop 2 can't handle 16:9 recordings, or is it just the menu that can't be in 16:9? What will it actually do with these movies?

also, how good is the copyright-facility? Is that tested to work by all those who own this program?

cheers
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques