DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What is your wedding attire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/73696-what-your-wedding-attire.html)

Bill Edmunds August 16th, 2006 08:10 AM

What is your wedding attire?

What do you wear when videotaping a wedding? I've been wearing a basic sports jacket, trousers, shirt & tie for ages. Wondering what other folks wear.

Tom Hardwick August 16th, 2006 08:13 AM

On the hottest days this summer I've been wearing a white (to reflect back as much light as possible) short sleeved shirt and tie. I've dispensed with my jacket entirely as I'm working hard, and the clients can see that, and hopefully forgive.

What I do notice is how scruffily dressed are a lot of the stills guys I work with though.

tom.

Bill Edmunds August 16th, 2006 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
On the hottest days this summer I've been wearing a white (to reflect back as much light as possible) short sleeved shirt and tie. I've dispensed with my jacket entirely as I'm working hard, and the clients can see that, and hopefully forgive.

What I do notice is how scruffily dressed are a lot of the stills guys I work with though.

tom.

I've noticed the same thing. That's one of the reasons I started this thread -- it seems that perhaps now it is more acceptable to dress in less constricting clothing? I've even seen some wearing a nice "jersey" under a jacket instead of shirt & tie. That would be heaven!

Don Bloom August 16th, 2006 11:22 AM

For the last 5 or so years I generally wear all black unless it's 90+ and the humidity is around 90 or more as we had here a few weeks ago. Of course on the hottest weekend here in a long time I had 2 weddings both outdoor ceremonys and the receptions in tents. :-( YUK!

For the warmer days I wear a black short slevve mock turtle neck OR a black silk T shirt and black pants---for those REALLY hot days I wear the same but in grey. For the cooler weather (winter in Chicago) I wear a black cashmere mock turtle neck with the black pants. I hate wearing ties and jackets. They get in the way and are hot, uncomfortable. Black seems to make one "disappear". I've done some pretty highend weddings and other social events dressed like that and have never had anyone comment about it so I'll stay with it.

Don

Michael Liebergot August 16th, 2006 06:18 PM

I do the same, dress in all black, nice black (pleated for free range of movement) slacks, black dress rayon dress tee (short sleeve for summer and long for winter), and black sports coat (which really never gets put on, but is there in case), and most important of all, a comfortable pair of air soled rockport dress shoes.

Since I normally wear a DVRig Pro camera rig the entire day, wearing a black tee is best for range of movement, and I can still look dressy while shootin.
Honestly, to tell you the truth, the wife and I look better than some of the guests.
I have worked some very swanky wedding receptions, and have never had anyone (even coordinators) tell me that I was dressed inappropriately.

Nick Weeks August 16th, 2006 07:56 PM

I usually wear slacks (black) and a grey or dark blue shirt and tie... when it's cold, I'll wear a nice sports jacket to make my appearance and when leaving, but usually take it off while shooting... it seems to work pretty well until it gets very hot, then the tie just kills you. I may look into the black shirt like you guys do. Also, I'm looking into the glidecam smooth shooter, so I may have to change my attire to accompany wearing that most of the time...

Paul Cypert August 17th, 2006 06:48 AM

Black shoes, Black slacks, and the key...black dry fit polo (would do nike...but got a good deal on some off brand here in Thailand that's the same thing)...

If it's good enough for Joe Bussinick (who shoots celebrity weddings)...it's good enough for me. You have to have the "artsy" look to you to pull it off, but I do and it works. Plus whether I'm in Bangkok in high heat and humidity or back in Texas during the summers it works. I look good and feel good too...

Paul

Steven Davis August 17th, 2006 07:12 AM

I think this question ran around a about a month ago. But I dress in a tie and such unless the venue needs a different attire.

Jon Omiatek August 17th, 2006 08:24 PM

I wear a solid black suit. Depending on the attire of the guests and the temp of the church****some chuches have NO AC!!!!****** or outside 95 DEGREES, I wear suit minus jacket.

I need to post some stills of the photographers attire. Most of the ones I run into are very unprofessional. Meaning, last weekend I ran into one in a polo shirt, with company logo all over it and tan cargo pants. I even did one with a guy who had on white blue jeans and a blue and black flannel shirt, he charges 2500 for a wedding.

I don't feel comfortable unless I am dress as good as the guests.

Jon

Jonathan Jones August 17th, 2006 11:17 PM

I wear black dress slacks, with a nice long sleeved button up dress shirt, usually in a dark color - burgundy, heavy tan, or subdued grey or something. I usually end up rolling up the sleeves to my elbows, but it still comes across as nicer than just short sleeves. I also wear black dressy rockports - I'm on my feet a long time.

My first year, I even went with the suit and tie method - I was a newbie in very high end venues and wanted to err on the side of class - but at 99 degrees and heavy equipment - I soon lost the tie and jacket - I've got a job to do. I still need to look appropriately dressed, but I am also carrying an XL2 with a light kit and a few remote audio kits on my body with a freaking heavy lead acid battery, plus I have to run between two other fixed cameras all day, so I also have to be optimally functional.

Earlier this year, I added a great piece of gear. I searched a while and was very disappointed in photo/video utility vests - either not enough features, poor fit, or really flimsy build - but I found a great 511 tactical vest from the LAPD store and got it for cheaper than alot of genuine photo video vests - and it carries everything with 16 pockets all over the place. This vest is designed for SWAT so it can carry lots of gear quite discreetly, so now I pretty much never shoot without it. It has pretty much helped eliminate the utility belt that held my extra lens fixtures, my batteries, mics, and my drinking water. Everything fits in the vest - and with the loss of the utility belt, I can now wear my steadystick belt much more comfortably.

So although I still wear appropriate attire, to some degree it is covered up by the vest - but I still wear mostly black, and the vest really shows that I am there to do a job. Because of the placement of the pockets, It is hard to guess that I am wearing so much gear inside it, so it looks a little more natural as well.
-Jon

Paul Cypert August 20th, 2006 08:03 AM

I just don't think a lot of it matters...I mean you are a vendor...you need to look nice and not tacky...but you're carrying gear and equipment...with all my (cool not cheesy :) ) war time vests I look almost more SWAT than anything else...if I had a tie or jacket on...what would be the point? I look dang sharp in my slacks and black polo and I don't have weird sweat stains or funky odors from wearing too much :)

I think it needs to be decided on your branding too...I can pull it off because of the image I have...if I branded or presented a stodgy product I might tend to dress the same...watch Joe Bussinick shoot the Dr Phil wedding...if he can pull it off so can I :)

Paul