DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   are there fewer weddings now than in the past? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/73826-there-fewer-weddings-now-than-past.html)

Richard D Miller August 18th, 2006 12:33 AM

are there fewer weddings now than in the past?

I have had a few conversations with people, who admittantly are over the age of 60 and they seem to think that people only shack-up. So to speak. Has anyone noticed this trend? I contribute that newspapers are not publishing every marriage license and that with the age group I have spoke to might just be out of the loop.

Noah Hayes August 18th, 2006 01:26 AM

I can't speak for all markets, but I have three friends getting married over the course of the next 4 weeks... and I know two couples getting married a month after that...

Richard D Miller August 18th, 2006 06:28 AM

had a feeling of that.

:)

Patrick Moreau August 18th, 2006 07:10 AM

From a sociological perspective, and not my own experience, I have read that the marriage rate and duration is relatively quiet high right now if you look at historical trends over the past 80 years or so. I can get some numbers pretty quickly if you want that much info.

Eric Hansen August 18th, 2006 08:29 AM

only first marriages or second?... or third? ...or fourth? etc...

Eric Hansen

Patrick Moreau August 18th, 2006 08:35 AM

I know that the success of second marriages is actually almost the same as that of first marriages, which is what I would have expected.

Rick Steele August 18th, 2006 09:45 PM

I haven't noticed a decline in marriages but I have seen a few trends in my market:

1.) People are much older now it seems when they get married. (Mostly over 25).
2.) Couple's are paying a lot of their own expenses and relying on parents less and less. (Perhaps due to #1 above).
3.) Recently, I've been doing a lot of ceremonies for people who have been living together and most have one or more kids.

Nothing concrete... just my observations.

Paul Cypert August 20th, 2006 08:06 AM

Tons of weddings in all markets at all times (except Super Bowl Sunday)....if you're not getting booked something's wrong in your marketing or presentation...there's tons of work out there...in my hometown they did a survey and for ever 1 that was listed in the paper there were at least 9 or 10 more going on that weekend that weren't announced according to city records....

Paul

Richard D Miller August 20th, 2006 10:01 PM

I really do apreciate the input. I headed home this weekend and attended the county fair. not a soul with a camera, not tomention that everyone who had a booth is a prospective client. most video I had seen was done on moviemaker and looked hacked. But maybe people want cheap un-inspiring footage to promote themselves.

Nick Weeks August 20th, 2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D Miller
most video I had seen was done on moviemaker and looked hacked. But maybe people want cheap un-inspiring footage to promote themselves.

I have yet to figure that out. I have a guy in my area that offers the cheapest price around, and his work is novice at best. Now I haven't been doing this for 10 years or anything, but my work looks like I actually care. His stuff is horrible!! ... and I can't count the times I've been turned down because brides could get it cheaper somewhere else regardless of quality. It's sickening really.

There's a lot of weddings that go on around my area... it seems like churches are having 2 or 3 every weekend! I'm just getting started doing weddings, so my name hasn't gotten around very far, but if anything I've seen an INCREASE in weddings in the last 2 or 3 years, and most of the people are pretty young (19-20) or older couples getting married for the second time.

Noah Hayes August 22nd, 2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
most of the people are pretty young (19-20) or older couples getting married for the second time.

Yeah, that is very true! I'm only 20, I have three ex's that are now married/engaged (two of which have kids), and one of my close friends just got married last Friday (he'll be 19 in November) and a guy I work with that will be married in the next month... all under 21!!!! These people can't even drink at their own weddings!!!! LOL

I feel like its the 1930's all over again (that's not a good thing) my grandparents were all married at around 18...

What's bad for society is good for us! More business!!!

Richard D Miller August 22nd, 2006 07:44 AM

ahh, but a 19 yr old rarely has the money for a large wedding. and the parents may not be willing to invest large sums when the odds are against the union being succesful.

Nick Weeks August 22nd, 2006 08:14 AM

I've done one of the most expensive weddings I've seen (rich parents) and the bride and groom were about 20-21, so I guess it depends on how much money the parents really have :)

I mean I guess if throwing $30,000 at a wedding is like pocket change, why not?

Rick Steele August 22nd, 2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I mean I guess if throwing $30,000 at a wedding is like pocket change, why not?

A 30k wedding is big? :)

To be truthful, it is in my area but I've heard about the 150k+ weddings. Never understood why these parents just didn't buy the couple a house and let 'em elope.

Nick Weeks August 22nd, 2006 12:26 PM

Oh I have no idea how much they spent, I just threw out $30k.... they had everything you could have at a wedding, and then some... so I'm sure it was probably over $100k

Yeah, at least the house would make them money! You don't get equity from a wedding