DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Today's The Day!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/73981-todays-day.html)

Dave M. Smith August 21st, 2006 08:03 AM

Today's The Day!!!

Ah, it's a good day!

To some of you BTVG's (Big Time Video Guys), this might not be a big deal, but for you folks just starting out like me (you know, we who have to hire our kids out to sweat shops to be able to pay for new equipment) I have a feeling you guys will understand.

I've got a truckload of new equipment being delivered today! Another PD-170 camera, a couple of bogen/manfrotto tripod systems, a LANC controller, a few other accessories.

I'm still new enough to this business to get excited when I get new stuff. Maybe you guys who have been at this for a long time stll get excited, too. I don't know. I guess the excitement comes from the fact that I know I'll have more tools to help me do my work better. And I can take another step toward doing this full time.

Anyway, I'm leaving my steady job early today to be home when my stuff arrives. Yeah, sure, my wife will be home and can call me when it comes in, but...well, you understand...

-Dave

Michelle Lewis August 21st, 2006 08:58 AM

I feel the the same way when I go to B&H to window shop. It's fun. A new dress and a pair of shoes used to do it for me. Now it's the possibility of getting new camera lenses.

Richard Wakefield August 21st, 2006 09:18 AM

yeah, I got overly excited when I first played back my iRiver vs Giant Squid Mic recording, hooked on to the groom.... all that crystal clear smooth audio....

now that is sad.... :)

Mike Oveson August 21st, 2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Lewis
A new dress and a pair of shoes used to do it for me. Now it's the possibility of getting new camera lenses.

Funniest quote I've read in a long time. =)

Rick Steele August 21st, 2006 09:42 AM

My B&H order should be here Thursday. New dividers for my Pelican 1610 case. It's almost an "orgasmic" feeling knowing you're about to get all your gear into one "box". :)

Then, when finished packing my stuff "just right" I'll no doubt proudly pull the wheeled Pelican throughout the house for all to witness this milestone.

I need a freaking life.

Tom Hardwick August 21st, 2006 10:17 AM

'Another PD170 camera' sounds as if you've now got two of them Dave, but for the same money the FX1 must've exerted some pull on the purse strings.

I biought my first Kowa 35 mm SLR back in 1968 and bought the Z1 earlier this year. I was just as excited this time round. The potential energy in a camera is impossible to measure.

tom.

Dave M. Smith August 22nd, 2006 06:27 AM

Great Comments, Folks!

Sorry I couldn't reply to you yesterday. I was playing with my new stuff. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets excited about new equipment. Yesterday I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Grinning ear to ear. So, I get all the stuff out of the boxes, turn it all on, set it all up, play with it for twenty minutes, then look at my wife and say, "So,...I've decided what I need to buy next."

She just rolled her eyes and turned up the volume on the TV.

-Dave

Steven Davis August 22nd, 2006 06:39 AM

I can only hope

Quote:

A new dress and a pair of shoes used to do it for me. Now it's the possibility of getting new camera lenses.

Since my wife is moving more and more into the photography part of what we do, I wonder if this will happen to her too? :}

Eric Gan August 22nd, 2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Michelle, are you single? ;) Where can I find women like you?

After years of buying tech toys, the excitement hasn't faded at all. The worst part is, right after you tear into your new package, you're already thinking about the next purchase.

Michelle Lewis August 23rd, 2006 08:09 AM

Chuckles all round. I don't know if they make more like me, but it's that bloody B&H store. If you think their online store is addictive, the 34th street store is obscene. The thing that saves me from overspending is the lack of dough. So I often make it out of there without buying a thing. Unfortunately, my wardrobe is going to suffer this fall now that I have that Nikon D80 on my radar, but it's a sacrifice I must make.

Steven Davis August 23rd, 2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

my wardrobe is going to suffer this fall now that I have that Nikon D80 on my radar, but it's a sacrifice I must make.

A little off the subject, but no D200 Michelle? I ask because we're looking to get a nice SLR, and the 200, while expensive, is something that we've been considering.

Michelle Lewis August 23rd, 2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
A little off the subject, but no D200 Michelle? I ask because we're looking to get a nice SLR, and the 200, while expensive, is something that we've been considering.

I wanted the D200 initially but it's way out of my budget. I'd rather use the extra grand on lenses.

Steven Davis August 23rd, 2006 01:10 PM

Thanks Michelle,

I'm doing spec comparison, and have noticed that the D200 would be able to handle fast motion more, i.e. more FPS. I like you am weighing the extra 1000.00.