Mac Pro choice for Glen Elliott at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Mac Pro choice for Glen Elliott

Hi Glen,
What configuration did you choose to go with for your new Mac Pro. Also did you find FCP to work fine on your Macbook. Which specs were you using.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in...

I use a 2.0Ghz Macbook Pro with 2GB ram... I've been able to edit with 3 HDV streams in realtime doing a multicam edit, and about 5 cams in SD (these are the most i've tried, might be able to handle more...I don't drop frames, works fine, doesn't take as long as I expected to render)

I plan on getting a Mac Pro towards the end of the year or early next year, I won't be getting a tricked out one, if they don't change the baseline specs by then I'll be getting 2.66Ghz(quad) and 2GB ram and the X1900XT, I'd get more ram, but except in Motion and Photoshop I'll never have a need for it! I plan on upgrading the memory down the road when it drops in price, and I may upgrade the processor when that drops in price too!

So basically IMHO, I'd get a slightly upgraded Macpro (a little ram, better video card) and that should work perfectly for just about anything except editing some 1080p60 in 4:4:4 uncompressed (well almost :) )

What system are you editing now?
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:49 AM   #3
Major Player

info

Yeah the macpro should be more than enough... I mean I was using the macbook today and boy is it fast. Even compared to a dual 2.7ghz powermac.

So right now I'm working hard at getting a macpro
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
I don't drop frames, works fine, doesn't take as long as I expected to render
How long does it take you to conform (render) a minute of typical HDV timeline to (a) M2T and (b) H.264 output?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Right now I am using a p4 3.4 Sony Vaio to edit using Adobe ppro and after effects, but am thinking of making the switch to Final Cut. However, I have been told that I could still use Adobe on a mac with the aid of bootcamp. Unfortunately I have no Mac experience whatsoever so not sure if this is actually true or not.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Still Motion

You can run adobe on a mac with boot camp.

I use a macbook for same day edits and it handles that very well. I can usually export a ten minute presentation with plenty of filters, motion blurs and split screen segments in about 10 minutes (with SD) and build the DVD to the desktop in another 3-4, which means I need to leave very little time to actually output the file before it is projected. I've seen results showing the macbook comparable to a dual 2.5 G5 with some final cut pro testing.

For work at home I have a powerpc quad which would be an excellent value in the used market right now, although you wont get bootcamp. You can check out http://www.barefeats.com/ for benchmarks and real world results of various mac models. If your looking at a macpro, the 2.66 model seems to be the best value, then add in some quality third party ram (canadaram.com has great price) and add in third party SATA drives and your all set.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Jason, if u havent had any experience with a Mac, can i ask, have u had a look at FCP???
If not, why the need to jump ship?? I dont mean to point you out, but im baffled by peoples responses to this post.

To me, any experience with as much software is always a good thing, however, i dont understand the need for anyone to jump ship if the tool theyre considering hasnt been reviewed or scrutinised to a pont of deciding to jump ship in the first place.
If jumping ship, one can always rent a mac for a month or so and run the demo software. this would offer anyone an option for informed decision making without risk

To answer your question, it IS true (bout running windows apps on the mac HW), however, i'd ditch AE for Shake and Motion, if i was to jump ship at all, as they do what AE does... if not more (especially motion)

One thing about apple is that hey have indeedido refined the way FCP handles a variety of codecs.. the most impressive IMO is DVCProHD100, as weve pumped about 6 streams of HVX footage (Raid 0 configired terrabyte external Firewire800 drive) no filters or colour correcting though) but still very efficient compared to Vegas on a dual dual core with a Raid0 2TB set up runing Cineform encoded AVI's.
I cant recall if those QT files required conforming or not, but in any case, it was quite impressive.. i just wasnt too pumped up about the NLE itself... it really doesnt do much that the others cant..

Its all about the tools of choice, however one thing i say to anyone, go with what feels right for you on the platform which offers you the widest option for the kind of work you intend to do
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Peter,
I have played with Final cut in the Apple store for about 10minutes total. It seems very similar to PPro in functionality, only the buttons are in different places. I am happy with PPRO but would like to switch to a Mac because of it's so called reliability. It seems to be a work horse and the industry standard when editing affordably. I can purchase the Mac Pro 2.66 standard for $2599cdn and final cut studio 5.1 for $879cdn from apple online. My hopes were to get a system that will be fast enough to last quite a while and allow for future software updates without rebuilding the system. If I can run ppro on the mac with reliability and learn FCP in the meantime it will suit my purposes. Also I was looking at a macbook but was unsure if the macbook would run FCP or if i need the macbook pro. My wife is a teacher and they use mac only. So it would allow us dual purposes.

Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

"If I can run ppro on the mac with reliability and learn FCP in the meantime it will suit my purposes. "

U can definately do that, however i must say that from experience, a turnkey (or is that turkey>?? LOL) windowsXP system is as reliable as MacOS.

Industry standard, well if it was an industrial issue, I'd be going Avid Nitrous, but that beyond alot of peoples budget HOWEVER, with Avid, the potential for work is abotu 3:1 vs FCP. With premiere, i would have to say that there are defiantely more and more broadcasters using it, alongside Digisuite/Axio systems, and if u are proficient, it might be wise to invest in AXIO as the performance is THE best for ANY format i have ever come across.. yes price is alot higher, but potential for future editign work alone will pay the unit off in less than 6 months. Just the fact that u have an AXIO will bring people through your door. In addition, the systems lifespan is defiantely MUCH higher than 6 years... Digitsuites themselves are stil lin use and some of thes esystems are stil running on Dual Pentium3's with 512mb ram, and they STILL juice out 12 streams of DCVpro50 at the drop of a hat...

In the end, its all about what works for the editor, and i recomend to EVERY editor out there to try their hands at every NLE on teh market. You will find that when an editor is proficient with their tools, the quality of work will improve 10 fold.. hopefully as editors move around, the industry will change and add value to what we do, as these editors evolve to tools which they are comfortable with as opposed to using tools because of what reviews or other users have said
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques