Various excerpts from a recent edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Wrangler

Various excerpts from a recent edit

What you'll see here are to random excperts from a recent edit...the first portion is the end of the recessional > through coctails > to the beginning of the formal entrances (I believe it cuts out before the actual entrances begin though).

The second half picks up at the end of the bouquet & garter > through the beginning of the dancing portion (Big Pimpin', as was all the music, at the client's request).

This isn't a particularly impressive or dramatic clip, in other words it's not a fancy bridal prep or highlight vignette. I wanted to showcase something that you don't always see on these forums. The meat and potatoes of the wedding video...the content BETWEEN the flashy montages. I've been putting a great amount of effort into strengthening my videos as a whole. I also wanted to illustrate how I compress time (this is a 37 minute short-form edit, my shortest wedding video yet) and transition from one reception event to the next.

I know my strength is in my Highlight/Montage edits so I want to focus on my weakness....everything else. Here's a little bit of "everything else":

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/MooneyExcerpts.wmv
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Really smooth Glen! I can tell that you have been trying to figure out inovative ways to transition between events at the reception. The Audio dubs from the couple were an excellent anchor point for the edits and I am thinking about incorporating mor of that in my edits. Thanks for sharing!

Dan
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks good as always! was this edited on the new mac pro by any chance?
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I Loved It! Has given me ideas! Very impressed by it all.
Michael Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Glen,
Appreciate you posting the clip. I agree with Dan that the vioce overs were very much a huge role in the video sample. Loved how well it does transition. Also good use of the slow-mo at the end of some clips, I really like that look and feel it has. Your heading in a very good direction and I'm encouraged you would share it with us.

Monday

P.S. that dancing was a trip. Go granny, go granny
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

meat and potatoes are what maketh the meal my friend... ;)

everything else is dessert...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Great work Glen.

Not just the interviews but your music really transitioned the piece from one to the next. You showed a lot of great clips and even though it was short by the clock, it didn't feel short. It was really nice. Thanks for posting it.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

cool, just saw the clip.. nice an dconsistant..
one thing though that id be personally wary of, is the overuse of the glidecam device your using..

Im not being critical, as the shots, editing and work itself if better than fine... awesem IMO...
However in certain elements, like the dancing, around the floor the glide is fine, but for those intimate shots, glide units can be a hindrance and/or a distraction.. and by this time in the piece (more than likely an hour or so into it..) it woud feel overused.. its difficult to describe.. maybe its trying to hard to be more than it is?? I dont know how to word what im feeling when i see an abundance of glidecam shots like this.. maybe its givign teh feel of repetition??

Like i said its not the work, but its the results one gets from using a glidecam/steadycam to much.. people are used to the "look" of the shot. Theres nothign wrong with the shot, but sometimes it feels that it might be a little too much...

thats not a reflection on your work, but if you rely too much on it, you could be limiting yourself to the type of shots u can get, especially with "active" talent like this on the dancefloor. I also feel a little more focus coul dbe put on guests.. the establishing shots a brilliant no doubt.. and the rack focus', are ur usuall Elliot flavour... clean and precise.

But throwing in the human element could have dragged it out a little more to help break the "heres the one minute of establishing shots" then "heres the one minute of people shots" then "heres the 2 mintues of the bar/food shots" kind of thing.. Am i makign sense?
How you had it was fine, but with the feel of teh glidecam shots all crammed together, breaking THOSE apart with the these other shots im talking about would have dissipated that feel of repetition.

I only mention this as i found my own work also started to fall into the "shots feel the same" category

If all that was blended as one whole piece.. it would keep people watching as its constanttly on the move and the shots are varying throughout...

Once again its brilliant work, awesome for portfolio and future prospects and of course the client.. You should be hitting the minimum $3k a pop price range with this level of quality
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques