WEVA. How do you become a member? Is it worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 10th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Major Player

WEVA. How do you become a member? Is it worth it?

WEVA.

Wedding and Even Videographers assotiation. How do you become a member of this and is it worth it? Do you have to send them a video you've done and they look it over and say your good enough? -then you can use there WEVA logo? -Kind of like the "THX" aproval logo for sound in movies does? -wondering if its worth my time getting into it as i would asume many wedding clients really wouldnt know or care what it is?
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Pay your $165 or whatever it is now and you're a member. As for sending them a video, weel I guess they're doing some sort of certification so maybe you need to send one in. I belonged for a short time but found that it wasn't really for me. All I ever was able to use were the forums and frankly I think there are better ones out there including here for the purpose of improving ones craft. The expo, anyone can go, just costs a bit more to get in for a non member. As for the logo, Hmmmm, well let me put it this way, no one I ever booked before during or after my membership in WEVA has EVER asked me if I was a member of ANY video organization but they have asked if I was a member of any community organizations such as local Chamber or such. I'm not saying NOT to join but I am not saying TO join either. Get some more opinions and do a search thru the forum here, I think it's been discussed many times. For me frankly it wasn't worth it but thats just me.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm a member, and while it hasn't really "gained" me any business, I do think it's worth it - of not for more than their forums and member network. They also have some discounts and other perks as well.

I have heard raves about their expo that they have in Vegas every year, but I didn't have the extra $$ or free time to go it this year. I am hoping to go next year if all possible.

All in all, I think it's worth the 150 or so to be a member every year, but it's all in what you want to use it for.

Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Errors and ommisions insurance

I am not a member of WEVA either, but I understand (not sure) that they offer business insurance...errors and omissions, in case something goes wrong with videotaping an event....does anyone know if this is true?
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rankin
I am not a member of WEVA either, but I understand (not sure) that they offer business insurance...errors and omissions, in case something goes wrong with videotaping an event....does anyone know if this is true?

It is true, they do offer insurance packages at a price. The rates arn't that bad - but I have found that if you shop around, you can find better rates. (such as through WeDj.com).

Roach
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Insurence for what exactly? If some kid steals your camera or knocks it over? Rain causes you not to be able to shoot?
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Major Player

One must remember that most professional asssociations are for profit businesses. A few, which rank among the most infleuntial, were specifically started with corporate money to act as a spokesperson for a particular industry. In any case, the association that produces tangible results for its members grows.

So far I have yet to find a wedding videographer's association that offers enough of an incentive for me to join. It sometimes appears WEVA has as many critics as promoters.

Like anything else, one receives in proportion to the effort they put in. Give the organization a thorough examination and take your time doing so. If it promises to return something you know you can use to your benefit, by all means join!
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Insurance: Equipment theft (90% of videographers couldn't replace equipment if stolen) and liability. A) Many venues require that you produce proof of insurance BEFORE they let you in to shoot AND if someone trips on your tripod (if they do they deserve it anyway for being a klutz) when they sue you at least you have someone to help pay the bills. Rain is why they make rain covers for most cameras.

Anyone who is serious about being in business has insurance, if they don't then first, they probably aren't serious and 2nd, they probably deserve what they get. Insurance is cheap but certainly not the prime reason for joining any group. Like Waldemar, I haven't found an organization that really suits my needs, not saying anyone is bad or good or better than another just not for me.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Major Player

I have to disagree a bit with some with regard to WEVA. When I was new in the wedding video industry, I joined WEVA. I can't tell you how many times I benefited from invaluable information from other members who had been in the industry for many years. Everything from post production and marketing to cameras and audio. This forum and WEVA are where I go to learn.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Waldemar what about local associations? we dont have one in New Mexico but you do in Colorado. Know anything about it?
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Trustee

WeDJ.com vs WEVA

I have been looking at WeDJ.com as well. Mostly because their membership is 1/4 the cost of WEVA. Membership with them means you buy an ad placement and are automatically a member.

Both companies don't seem to have many benefits other than that. WeDJ has better internet search placement (WEVA has NONE when you search for "{city} wedding video" or combinations of those terms. But WEVA is video specific, which could be useful.

WEVA may have an advantage if their music licensing program ever got anything remotely interesting to brides or us producers.

Last edited by Jason Robinson; September 25th, 2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I'm not a big fan of WEVA (hmm, there's a thread around here about that). Any videographer who pays their fee can be a member so being a member doesn't mean anything except you get to sound like a pro as a "member of WEVA". I will stop here because otherwise I might get worked up about the other things I hate...uh...don't like much about them.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Trustee

Hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hoggatt View Post
Anyone who knows me can tell you that I'm not a big fan of WEVA (hmm, there's a thread around here about that). Any videographer who pays their fee can be a member so being a member doesn't mean anything except you get to sound like a pro as a "member of WEVA". I will stop here because otherwise I might get worked up about the other things I hate...uh...don't like much about them.
Would you mind PMing or email me, because I am seriously considering WEVA membership and information regarding their actual usefulness is sparse. info and then @idahodigitalproductions.com. Thanks for any and all information.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Major Player

I was a member of WEVA for several years, but finally dropped out because I felt they had become a self-praising bunch of folks who were more interested in tooting their own horn than in actually advancing the needs of its members. Just take a look at their website: virtually every topic under "Industry news" is about WEVA, not about the event video industry. They love to talk about themselves and engage in mutal lovefests between some of the "elite" members.

And they stopped publishing their magazine for a year or so without any compensation to its members. In lieu of the magazine, they mailed out a billion press releases to members once again blowing their own trumpet and talking about how progressive they were. And you can get insurance anywhere that is just as good as what they offer.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Jason,

Bill just nailed one of the biggest reasons. The lack of an advantage is it's own disadvantage. Being a member says nothing about your competency as a wedding videographer. I would prefer to be associated with real professionals than (what I lovingly call) "amateur professionals" or "Uncle Bob"s.

I will PM you with other reasons, some of which have been discussed here and I don't want to bring that back ;).
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques