Exposer at Sunset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Exposer at Sunset

I am video taping a wedding this weekend and the ceremony will film outside near sunset. I am worried about my exposer. If I shoot in manual I am afraid the changing light over time might affect the exposer. Once the ceremony starts I can’t stop rolling until the ceremony is over. Should I film in auto exposer to be safe?

Thanks Al Ioimo
Al Ioimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ioimo
I am video taping a wedding this weekend and the ceremony will film outside near sunset. I am worried about my exposer. If I shoot in manual I am afraid the changing light over time might affect the exposer. Once the ceremony starts I can’t stop rolling until the ceremony is over. Should I film in auto exposer to be safe?

Thanks Al Ioimo
Hi Al,

You really need to shoot in manual exposure, especially in this situation.

Will the sunset be in the background? If so, auto exposure will adjust for the sunset and underexpose the couple. Will you be shooting with 2 cameras? If so, you can always go to the other shot while adjusting the camera.
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I would shoot in manual because it gives more control over the image. If the lighting starts to change or is different just adjust the iris accordingly.

You could expose 3 ways: for skin tones, for atmosphere and mood, or a compromise between the two, and then keep those exposing themes in mind when framing various parts of the ceremony.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks a lot guys your help is always appreciated.
Al Ioimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

go get 2 lights.. hire them if u have to.. make sure they have DICHROIC filters on them... no wuse these to spotlight the couple.. these are daylight filters so yoru exposure to the ambience should affect teh exposure of teh talent.. also teh spotlights will be a blush tint... u dont have to use dichoics, but if the sunset is DIRECTLY behind them, then u might want at least one..

shoot manual.. dont let Auto exposure and AWB fluctuate with this.. the ambience and mood is as important as the ceremony (else they wouldnt have had it at that time woudl they.. )

best thign to do is go to the location and shoot during the same time the ceremony is taking place.. practice my friend..

Have fun..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #6
Major Player

I just finished a nine hour shoot and read your post as I am trying to wind down so I can enjoy a good night's sleep. You are likely still engaged in your shoot, so my comments are a bit late.
Manual exposure is the best approach. Since most cameras allow manual adjustment in 1/3 stop increments, you can make gradual shifts to exposure as lighting changes. I prefer setting a shutter speed and then make aperture adjustments as needed. Were I doing still photography I would select an aperture and make shutter speed adjustments.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques