Slow Motion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Slow Motion?

Vito from Canada brought up an intersting point on another thread. He mentioned that all of our Highlight was in slow motion.

Can slow motion be over used? What do you think?

We use a lot of slow motion in a Highlight, Closing or even a Same Day Edit, especially if the music is slow and dramatic. It is an element to the style we have developed.

We seldom use slow motion within the ceremony (but occasionally do), the photo session, reception and so on.

Here is a piece that has zero slow motion. If we would have used much slow motion it would have sucked the life right out of it.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/ChadandCo.wmv
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Mark,
Very cool entertaining clip. Loved every part of it. That was very creative and lively. You could've done a hard white flash with a front view (low angle) of them running at her in the truck in slow motion at the end. ^_^ J/K. My favorite style of editing is more on the side of being upbeat, but those projects take more time then traditional slow-mo highlights and not all my clients are willing to pay for it. Oh well. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mark, First I have to say that that clip was very entertaining. While I have been viewing your work for quite a while I really didn't associate that type of stuff with your style, more of a David Mathew Bonner style from a while ago. Now having said that, it was fun, exciting and I'll bet the B&G loved it! As for Slo MO, NOPE! Not in something like that. Do I think it's over used, yeah sometimes but your style or at least the stuff I've seen over the years dictates it AND of course you're clients know that's what they're getting. Of course it's so well done that it doesn't appear to be overused in your stuff.
What I'm trying to say is that you and Trisha are associated with a particular style which you do amazinly well and slo mo is a big part of it. A clip like this just shows that it's the brain and the eye behind the camera that make for a quality video. It also shows that with a good eye and a good imagination no one needs to be roped into a single style.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Mark,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
Vito from Canada brought up an intersting point on another thread. He mentioned that all of our Highlight was in slow motion.

Can slow motion be over used? What do you think?
If an effect carries the message its not overused. If slow-motion is what the client is drawn to and thats the emotional feeling you get on the wedding day then I think its appropriate. Its only overused if it doesn't 'work'. The same is true for fast-cut realtime editing. If things move too fast the content may not have time to be digested and it just becomes a jumble of shots. There is obviously a balance to be gauged. Just like us our couples have different attention spans or have may not have a romantic personality. For me its like pulling teeth to speed up the shot progression and the shot speed but some clients prefer that. This is a recent highlights that moves faster than my normal clips:

www.EventVideographer.com/WEDDING_HIGHLIGHTS

The interesting thing is that I could have cut the highlights slow and romantic - I didn't shoot it any differently than I normally do.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

"Can slow motion be over used? What do you think?"

it depends on the context of teh piece were watching and whether or not slowlotion accentuates teh scene as opposed to "being the scene"

this also falls into the category of "are effects overused" where i see people overusing certain effects or not looking beyond the presets of effects.
Yes we have tools, but just because we have them, does it mean we must use them?

If the fotage is fitting, then do what u need and use whatever means to make that footage more than what it is, but only if its really necessary.
IMO, effects and manipulaiton like slow mo should be used to acentuate scenes or set themes and colour schemes based on particualr looks and "vibes" which ur trying to convey.
Too much and they lose their meaning and effectiveness.. too little and the client asks for more...
finding the balance is key...

As for this clip, im yet to find a client whos that ballsy to make a dick of themselves like this... LOL ive seen some tragic stuff in my time believe me... hahahaha
IMO that song, fun as it was, wouldnt be all that appropriate for a wedding... much like a bridal waltz set to "Careless Whisper".. lol if people knew what that song implied... well....

Fun, but not overly fitting. Obviously this isnt ur choice, but i really REALLY like the style cut youve got going here.. fast and fun and thats all that matters
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa
Hey Mark,
Very cool entertaining clip. Loved every part of it. That was very creative and lively... My favorite style of editing is more on the side of being upbeat, but those projects take more time then traditional slow-mo highlights and not all my clients are willing to pay for it. Oh well. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Hi Monday,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You bring up a very good point, whatever the style, it is important to be paid for your time.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
Mark, First I have to say that that clip was very entertaining. While I have been viewing your work for quite a while I really didn't associate that type of stuff with your style, more of a David Mathew Bonner style from a while ago. Now having said that, it was fun, exciting and I'll bet the B&G loved it! As for Slo MO, NOPE! Not in something like that. Do I think it's over used, yeah sometimes but your style or at least the stuff I've seen over the years dictates it AND of course you're clients know that's what they're getting. Of course it's so well done that it doesn't appear to be overused in your stuff.
What I'm trying to say is that you and Trisha are associated with a particular style which you do amazinly well and slo mo is a big part of it. A clip like this just shows that it's the brain and the eye behind the camera that make for a quality video. It also shows that with a good eye and a good imagination no one needs to be roped into a single style.
Don
Hi Don,

Thanks for viewing. You bring up some very valid points.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm on dialup so I havent seen any of the clips. Every single star-wipe that was evr used was paid for by someone. That does not stop it looking tacky 10 years later.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Hi Mark,

If an effect carries the message its not overused. If slow-motion is what the client is drawn to and thats the emotional feeling you get on the wedding day then I think its appropriate. Its only overused if it doesn't 'work'. The same is true for fast-cut realtime editing. If things move too fast the content may not have time to be digested and it just becomes a jumble of shots. There is obviously a balance to be gauged. Just like us our couples have different attention spans or have may not have a romantic personality. For me its like pulling teeth to speed up the shot progression and the shot speed but some clients prefer that. This is a recent highlights that moves faster than my normal clips:

The interesting thing is that I could have cut the highlights slow and romantic - I didn't shoot it any differently than I normally do.
Hi Joel,

It's so good to hear from you. You always have such insightful input. It really is about finding the right mix for you and your clients.

I tried to watch your clip on a couple different computers, but no luck and I was really looking forward to it. It's been too long since I have seen your work.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Mark,

Do you have QuickTime 7 installed? The clip is encoded with the H264 codec in QT7. Anyone else not able to watch it? I don't use H264 for clients for this very reason - it looks fantastic but it'll be a while until the compatibility catches up.

Quote:
Hi Joel,

It's so good to hear from you. You always have such insightful input. It really is about finding the right mix for you and your clients.

I tried to watch your clip on a couple different computers, but no luck and I was really looking forward to it. It's been too long since I have seen your work.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Joel,

Thanks for sharing! Awesome, as usual! It has been a while since I've seen your work. I love your Glidecam work! Very classy and not overused.

Seems like the bridal party had a lot of fun together ;)
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Mark,

Do you have QuickTime 7 installed? The clip is encoded with the H264 codec in QT7. Anyone else not able to watch it? I don't use H264 for clients for this very reason - it looks fantastic but it'll be a while until the compatibility catches up.
I just downloaded Qt 7 for windows and now I can hear your music, but no video. The music sounds cool, something like Joe Terravella would like.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
I just downloaded Qt 7 for windows and now I can hear your music, but no video. The music sounds cool, something like Joe Terravella would like.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking a look. Try it now - there is an alternate link to different codec on the page if the embedded one doesn't work. Still QuickTime though. I have a Windows version waiting in the wings if this doesn't work.

That music video piece of yours looked like a blast to shoot. Everyone was so comfortable with the camera.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung
Joel,

Thanks for sharing! Awesome, as usual! It has been a while since I've seen your work. I love your Glidecam work! Very classy and not overused.

Seems like the bridal party had a lot of fun together ;)
Thanks Peter! They were a upbeat group. No sappy moments really, so my normal style just didn't fit them.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Here is a piece that has zero slow motion.
http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/ChadandCo.wmv
Except the second shot, heh, heh. Enjoyed it greatly, completely not what I was expecting. Looks like it took a lot of work and thought, and the result is worth it.

I use a fair amount of slow motion in our demo, which I shot with a Z1 and edited with Xpress Pro. You can see it here:

http://www.ipi-events.com/en/demo.html

So much depends on the music choice. In contrast to the demo, which identical to the highlight section the bride received in her video, I recently completed this highlight:

http://www.romanhurko.com/vito/pam_nick.mov

I didn't shoot it, but it's my edit. Feedback on either video is more than welcome. I'm always willing to learn something.

Because of the music choice, lots of slow motion was out of the question, though I play with ramping speeds a lot.

Interesting thread, Mark. Thanks for starting it.

Greetings from Montreal,
Vito
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques