DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Video How Long Should it Be ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/75991-wedding-video-how-long-should.html)

Anthony Tham September 21st, 2006 07:58 PM

Wedding Video How Long Should it Be ?

hello im wondering how long should a wedding video be ? i saw some online from this forum some are 10 minuts some are 3 they're all very good. so im just wondering how long should it be when you do it for someone :) sorry new to this field :)

Albert Baier September 21st, 2006 11:51 PM

Anthony,

Are you talking about a specific part of the wedding? I can't imagine a complete wedding in 10 minutes... or are you refering to the sample clips people post? Those range from a couple minutes and up.

I can't imagine an actual wedding lasting for under an hour minimum - but thats my take on it. Some people produce under 60 minute weddings but I guess overall content is what drives the duration.

Albert

Richard Zlamany September 22nd, 2006 12:16 AM

Generally, a 10 minute wedding clip is a highlight or demo video.

A wedding ceremomy is anywhere from 15 minutes to 90 minutes.

A Reception is usually 4 - 6 hours.

After editing, the wedding disc is usually 15 minutes to 90 minutes and the reception disc is 60 to 120 minutes.

Highlight videos are in addition to the event edits. They go over very well with clients because they capture and add to the feel of the day without being boring.

Ryan DesRoches September 22nd, 2006 07:47 AM

I think it differs a little bit for everyone, but the completed project usually ends up being one to two hours of edited footage on a DVD.

Typically, the Wedding takes up 20 minutes to an hour of that time.

Special Dances (i.e. first dance and father/daughter) can take up another 20 minutes-half hour.

Highlight video - 5-15 minutes.

Other dances/extras - rest of disk.

I typically shoot 4/5 hours of tape per camera at a wedding/reception. I then edit that down into a series of good clips and then see what makes sense to put on the DVD.

Ryan

Anthony Tham September 22nd, 2006 10:14 AM

owh. so i assume that all the other parts are edited to clip like kinds too ? or just the full video with music background

Marcus Marchesseault September 22nd, 2006 10:44 PM

I, an others I have worked with, tend towards shorter form weddings. Think about it. A one-hour TV show is about 42 minutes with the commercials removed. Do you have enough interesting wedding content to make a fascinating feature-length movie? I'm guessing that most weddings are no more interesting than a one-hour TV show and after that the viewers are being senselessly tortured. In most speaches, people tend to repeat themselves - especially if they are drunk. I try to edit out the drunk and/or nervous repetition. I think it makes people look better and the video flow more smoothly. Weddings here tend to be short. Weddings on the beach can be only ten minutes! Add 5 minutes of establishing footage and hugs afterwards and a ceremony can easily be less than 20 minutes. Receptions vary more in that some people structure their weddings so that the guests have more fun and provide more interesting footage. Some weddings are so boring that the guests all leave ASAP so all that remains on video are the basics (cake, garter, grand entrance) and some speaches. I've been to weddings where the schedule and boring speaches tired the guests out so much that NOBODY danced...that made me sad...

You, your footage, and your client's desires determine the length of a wedding video. Use your best judgement.