DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you charge more Indian Weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/76327-do-you-charge-more-indian-weddings.html)

Billy Mallari September 27th, 2006 09:54 AM

Do you charge more Indian Weddings?

Please don't take me wrong. I have set prices of my packages on my website. All of these packages are intended for the average weddings (1 hr ceremonies). I was informed that Indian weddings are very long and personally is not my style. What do you tell a couple if they are inquiring about your wedding video service and tells you that they are having an Indian Ceremony.

Michael Cassidy September 27th, 2006 11:13 AM

Lay down the ground rules from the start! In writting if possible. They tend to want the whole thing recorded, even when nothing is happening. And seem to expect you to film guests eating, which I find rude! Also the language can be a problem, knowing when to "cut".
Work out your hourly rate, and double it. And remember to take plenty of tapes and a tripod!
I've only ever done one!
Since then, when I've had an inquiry, I've been unable to do it, due to being unavailable on the dates required.

Ben Brainerd September 27th, 2006 11:15 AM

You might want to slightly revamp your packages to cover this kind of situation. All of my packages include a certain number of hours of shooting. For example, my Ceremony-only package includes 2 hours of on-site time. Any more time gets charged at my overtime rate.

Michelle Lewis September 27th, 2006 02:47 PM

I just shot one, well rather the reception. Most indian ceremony and receptions are on different days, so it seems pretty reasonable to charge double the amount you normally would.

Peter Jefferson September 27th, 2006 07:15 PM

yes definately

teh grooms ceremony goes for abotu 4 hours, the brides abotu an hour, then another one for about 45minutes...
then another one at teh homes which is about half an hour..
2 cameras.. by ths time ur already hitting abotu 10 hours raw footage..
Ive shot afew of these, and i wouldnt get out of bed for this one for less than 6k US (about 7k AUD)

One thing i have noticed however, is that many Indian couples feel hard done by when you tell them the prices for THEIR weddings compared to others, however, i trully do not think they appreciate the differences of their culture toward a western wedding.

Billy Mallari September 27th, 2006 07:40 PM

wow! you mean 3 different ceremonies? are they being held on the same place?

Peter Jefferson September 27th, 2006 08:01 PM

the groom and the brides are in the same place
the joint one is usually in the same place

but then they do another one which is usually at the grooms parents house which is no biggy..

Locations arent an issue.. duration is..

Glen Elliott September 28th, 2006 09:54 AM

All the more reason prices should be based off of "hours ON location".

The more hours your on location shooting, the more footage you'll have.

The more footage you have the more editing there is.

The more editing there is the more TIME in post production...

and the more time the more $$....and as you very well know time is....well, you already know that.

Kevin Shaw September 28th, 2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
One thing i have noticed however, is that many Indian couples feel hard done by when you tell them the prices for THEIR weddings compared to others...

As Glen said, this is why video prices should be based on hours on location. That way the price for a long wedding is the same no matter who's involved, and it's up to the customer how many hours they want to hire you for. They wouldn't expect a limo driver or any other such vendor to work for free after a certain point, and we need to make it clear to people that we are a time-dependent service. If anyone out there is still offering "unlimited coverage" for weddings, please stop.

Carlos Viteri September 28th, 2006 12:36 PM

I just did two different Indian weddings at the Oheka Castle in Syosset NY.
Yes, they are very long and yes you do need to have a two camera crew.
However, the most you will at this type of wedding is nine hours. But you do have to charge for your time. So I say don't even take one on unless you start at 5G.

Vince Lucena September 28th, 2006 12:41 PM

Sound advice from all of you, as a new videographer I have yet to land my first paid client. The suggestion of NOT having an unlimited option is sound advice if we value our time.

Jon Omiatek September 28th, 2006 01:01 PM

I love it, if I had a $1 for every, "your website says X, so my 3 day event should cost X."

If we do them, it's by the hour.

Jon

Michael Cassidy September 28th, 2006 01:38 PM

But should we charge by the hour, we're actually there, or, by the hours, we're expected to be filming? At my regular weddings, I may be there about 6 hours, but the client leaves it up to me, how much time, I actually film. With these Asian Weddings, they seem to want the whole lot filming.
No doubt, EACH, job must be priced accordingly.

Sheldon Blais September 28th, 2006 02:03 PM

Hours on location billing is the way to go.....

Ben Brainerd September 28th, 2006 07:34 PM

Definitely hours on location.

My general theory is this: If I'm not free to be doing whatever I want, you'd better believe I'm going to charge you for it.

Now, I don't carry it to extremes, like charging for all my travel. Although if I'm traveling non-local (In my case, outside of Duval County) I'm going to charge a travel fee. But I'm gonna get paid for any location time.

Full Disclosure: I do, in fact, offer a package with "Unlimited coverage". But it's my super-duper-mega-package that costs $6500 anyways. :)