Fast-ish Highlights, a little different at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 29th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Still Motion

Fast-ish Highlights, a little different

There was a thread posted not too long ago by Mark asking about the use of slow motion. Joel and Chris then posted faster highlights within the thread and I thought this one would fit well in that category, but the thread kinda died since then.

I also wanted to share this as there are a couple shots in there that I absolutely love. One is the shot of the camera across the front of the necklace with the bride out of focus in the background.

This clip is a little different from what I normally do, and the couple is also very unique, so I thought it would be interesting to share. The bride has a real model look to her and was very comfortable with the camera so I did a lot more actual directing shots where I asked her to look at the camera, which I normally don't do at all. They also had a very unique style- the bride had a stainless steal bouquet, black shoes with her white dress and much more. Other than that, I was also a little concerned with my song choice, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Enjoy.

http://www.smcouples.com/demetri/highlights.mov

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Patrick that was very nice. Well done! Loved the glidecam work and nice touch on the selective coloring. The song was different but worked pretty well. The fonts at the end was very different. I was expecting something Script like, but then it looked like it was a font from a horror movie. Timing was very good and very easy to watch all the way through. I personally like editing more upbeat highlights but am limited by the clients preference alot. One thing I'm learning that Chris Watson said and I seen you did in this clip is to use slow-motion to help bring out a scene when dealing with this style. Thanks for sharing another clip.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I liked it alot, i like how you used the glidecam, and I like the directed look of it. Very nice looking.

May I ask what song that was, I have seen it used many times, and really like it!
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice work Patrick!
The camera work was great and the fast motion looked good as well. I'm trying a similar approach in my current wedding - a little more upbeat. I agree with Monday, not the font I expected but great piece over all.
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Very Nice Camera work!

You cut timing was bad in my opinion. It is usually not a good idea to make the cuts at the same time as a peak music event. It makes the video very hard to watch and not flow well. The cuts should come several frames before or after the peak music event, in your case the base drum. This is a suttle thing but very important.

Mike Smith
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice work patrick..what were you using to fly the camera? glidecam? or steadicam? Amazing job
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
Very Nice Camera work!

You cut timing was bad in my opinion. It is usually not a good idea to make the cuts at the same time as a peak music event. It makes the video very hard to watch and not flow well. The cuts should come several frames before or after the peak music event, in your case the base drum. This is a suttle thing but very important.

Mike Smith
With all do respect Mike, I disagree! It drives me nuts when the transition is a couple frames early or late.

Patrick, Absolutely loved most shots. You are really fluid with those stabilization shots. The only slight nit pick I have is about 1/3 of the way through it I noticed that almost every pan/movement was left to right. After several in a row with no right to left it got a tad monotonous. I only mention this because it is something I have been trying to work on myself. We get comfortable moving in one direction and forget to mix it up.

just my 2 cents

Dan
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree with the last statement about music cuts. Cut ON the beat not before or after UNLESS you are trying to syncopate the rhythm. (This is from an old time drummer) There is a time and place for cutting off the beat but in 99% of cases you really want to cut on the beat. Watch most music videos and you'll see it there as well.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Don syncopating the rhythm is a much more advanced technique and often ends in a mess for inexperienced editors as well as musicians. When it works (in music or in video) the piece really pops out - but it's a lot to ask for in a wedding video. Staying on the beat is OK but you have to vary the length of the shots. If the cuts are occuring with predictatble regularity then a clip is going to lose its sparkle, its excitement. Its ok to build a relentless monotony as long as it resolves, but if it just continues until it loses impetus the net effect will tend to be somewhat dreary. I should say the clip wouldn't play for me so I'm not sure if that is the problem here, but it's certainly a problem I see in a lot of wedding video. A heavy handed editing style will inevitably focus too much attention on the editors "cleverness" which is very rarely what the client wants.

Just my .02, no biggie.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

loved it.. the cuts were fine,
Predictable when synced cuts are used this often, but for the styling, i think it was fitting.

technically, I dont think half these pans and motions would be possible on a progressive scan camera or playback device, so if theyre runnign it trhough a plasma be aware that really fast shots and pans can sometimes be ruined or blurred with dodgy HW
deinterlacing...

I liked it.. i thought the steadicam shots were nice.. there were many of them but it wasnt done like "hey look, ive got a steadycam and look what it can help me do"
It was just nice and tight enough to not really notice that the cam was stabilised. Makes a difference to me anyway...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #11
Trustee

I really liked most of it. Good job and hats off to doing something against the flow of the pack.

Someone tell me if they agree or disagree that it looked like something out of National Geographic. For some reason, the colors of the church and the framing of the shots gave me that feeling. Consider that a compliment.

I only have two points to consider. I think I would like to have a more varying flow instead of all fast. Think of a piece of music that has different movements and tempos. Also, the font at the end looked "dirty" and hard to read.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #12
Tourist

Loved it. I agree with editing the footage to the beat of the music. If I'm off by a frame or two, it just drives me crazy.

Patrick - What was the music?
Antonio Puente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Patrick,

I have a question. This is obviously a highlight film - and a great one. What else if anything did the you deliver to the bride and groom. Does anyone just deliver a well made highlight fillm, or does it just depend on what you contract for? Also, what stabilizing unit did you use so gracefully?
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM   #14
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa
Patrick that was very nice. Well done! Loved the glidecam work and nice touch on the selective coloring. The song was different but worked pretty well. The fonts at the end was very different. I was expecting something Script like, but then it looked like it was a font from a horror movie. Timing was very good and very easy to watch all the way through. I personally like editing more upbeat highlights but am limited by the clients preference alot. One thing I'm learning that Chris Watson said and I seen you did in this clip is to use slow-motion to help bring out a scene when dealing with this style. Thanks for sharing another clip.

Monday

Thanks for taking the time to watch the clip and post your thoughts. In the end, the font style was strcutly a reflection of the couple and their style. I had smething more traditional in there firs but it just wasn't them. I also really enjoy the effect of slow motion clips put among much faster ones.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM   #15
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena
I liked it alot, i like how you used the glidecam, and I like the directed look of it. Very nice looking.

May I ask what song that was, I have seen it used many times, and really like it!

This was the first clip with a more directed feel that I have done in quite a while and I really like how it turned out. I'm not sure about the name of the song as it was provided to me to be used in a love story (which I posted here not too long ago as well).
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques