Credits vid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Credits vid

Shot a wedding up in Maine at the Pemaquid lighthouse and looking for some comments on the credits video for anyone who has the time. Thanks.
Vin
15mb http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demo...ditsdemosm.wmv
90mb http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demos/hmcreditsdemo.wmv
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Liked it very much. Logical sequence of sequences. Tight control of sequencing. Careful use of transitions. Lower third titles made sense. Blended with bkgrnd audio well. Fast motion of clips appropriately placed. Same for slow motion. Well done.
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Good footage but the fonts are way too contrasty. I never use two intense fonts on one display. Have one intense font along with neutral fonts but never combine two intense fonts. It's simply an aesthetic opinion.

I am not a big fan of your scrolling lower thirds. It's just way too distracting.

Sorry for the criticism but you wanted comments...
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Jonathan--First of all, thanks for the comments. I agree with not combining two intense fonts, but think the 'groove machine' title font (flower girl,etc) is not intense, and blocky enough to provide good background for the 'blake' font I used on the names. Being a credits video, I wanted the text to grab some attention...I guess I could've announced the names as audio as an alternative, which wouldn't distract as much from the footage. As with all aesthetics, it's all in the eye yadda yadda yadda...I actually stole, no, emulated, nah, was inspired by, yeah, that's it, was inspired by a great credits demo shared a while ago by Glen Elliot. Not that I'm in the same league in any way, but I sure do like his work.
Waldemar--Now YOU obviously have a good eye for quality work! j/k...actually I take it as a major kudo that you liked it, as you usually seem to be very thorough and logical in your critiques. Thanks for taking the time.
Vin
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hey Vincent thanks for sharing. It's nice to see others explore this relatively rare type of credits montage piece. The fonts you chose were easy to read and not distracting to me, especially considering it is supposed to be a "credits" piece. I do agree that the mix of fonts clash a bit- not that you can't use different fonts, but I think it's the mix between a loopy script font with a thick bold font. If you are personally sold on the font choices, after all it IS a very subjective criticism, try lowering the opacity of the scrolling title.

The suggestions I would offer would be to shorten it by at least half. Credits pieces work better when they are swift, fast, and exciting. I enjoyed the song you chose and felt you could edit it it to 1/2 the length and tightened up the shots a bit. I've done the same thing in the past editing the credits montages a bit too lenghty and lingering on shots too long. Keep in mind the complexity of a composition should directly relate to it's length on screen- that AND the rythm of the song your cutting to.

Overall it's an entertaining piece and the client should be thrilled. Thanks again for sharing.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Glen's points are on.....I too liked your credits piece, just a little long but still sweet!
Maybe shorten a future piece you'll do...

good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Hey Vincent thanks for sharing. It's nice to see others explore this relatively rare type of credits montage piece. The fonts you chose were easy to read and not distracting to me, especially considering it is supposed to be a "credits" piece. I do agree that the mix of fonts clash a bit- not that you can't use different fonts, but I think it's the mix between a loopy script font with a thick bold font. If you are personally sold on the font choices, after all it IS a very subjective criticism, try lowering the opacity of the scrolling title.

The suggestions I would offer would be to shorten it by at least half. Credits pieces work better when they are swift, fast, and exciting. I enjoyed the song you chose and felt you could edit it it to 1/2 the length and tightened up the shots a bit. I've done the same thing in the past editing the credits montages a bit too lenghty and lingering on shots too long. Keep in mind the complexity of a composition should directly relate to it's length on screen- that AND the rythm of the song your cutting to.

Overall it's an entertaining piece and the client should be thrilled. Thanks again for sharing.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Glen & Joe-
I appreciate you guys taking the time to view it--I now get what Jonathan was trying to say about the fonts--and I agree with all of you. Trimming the time down is a good idea also, but the b&g love it as is and I'm going to go with it this time. In the future, all the advice will be used...this forum rocks!!
Thanks again-Vin
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Kinda reminded me of movies from the 40's or thereabouts (before my time) where either at the beginning or end of the movie they have a snippet of the main actors/actresses and then their name & role appears.

Anyway, I liked it. If I was a member of those families, I probably would enjoy the length. However, as an unrelated observer, I agree there was too much time between each person in the wedding party. Towards the end, for the "Special Thanks to....." sequence, those moved at a good rate, I think.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques