Web hosting - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
As someone who used to work at GD in several departments and DIDN'T leave on bad terms, STAY AWAY FROM GODADDY.

1. Their servers run in safe mode and do not allow true streaming video

2. Your data will magically revert back a week or two on occasion (a sign of a data loss or server crash)

3. It's uncommon to get a knowledgeable person on the phone

It's basically a large boiler room type operation where the upsell is more important than fixing your issue. Good prices aren't everything.

I still host with Godaddy only because they are too stupid to bill me anymore, 3 years now....
Wow, good to know. I probably pay too much for my pair.com accounts, but their customer service is excellent. They are quick, and I mean quick to respond to questions, or that occasional, doh, I forgot my login. hehe.

Good to know about godaddy, considering the amount of advertising they do to the 'general public' you wonder if they could or would specialize for people with special needs like us. Just thinking outloud.

Go Pair.com If you switch to pair, tell them I sent you, I get a free dinner with Donald Trump or something.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #32
Trustee

I hosted with pair for a couple years and I have to agree, they are top notch in many areas.
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #33
Major Player

I'm trying out HostMonster. It rates pretty well...we'll see.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #34
Major Player

Great Thread!

This is a great thread - should be posted/mirrored in "Taking Care of Business". Glad DVinfo has a search function.

Thanks for contributing - I'll check out all your recommendations too.
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM   #35
Trustee

the upsell

that annoyed the crap out of me when I was working for a client on their site (hosted through GD). Nothing is available by default unless you "subscribe" not buy. Everything is a leased add-on. Want an SSL cert. More $$. Want subdomains? More $$. Want web stats? More $$. Major pain in the butt. Their admin interface is entirely designed to steer you into the upsell, not provide efficient access to control of your account.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM   #36
Major Player

I use Yahoo! but am looking to switch to Bludomain. How is everyone's experience with them? Their sites look great and the prices are good too.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #37
Regular Crew

This is a really interesting question. There are vast amounts of sites out there that will compare these hosts, but if you're looking for budget shared hosting sites to stream your media, I'd recommend LunarPages or BlueHost as their speeds for streams are much higher, and they balance their shared hosting users much better than some of the other guys (godaddy & 1&1). I've had them all at one point, and now I only have LunarPages (shared), some VPSs, and some dedicated servers.

If you guys just need budget hosting, 1&1 isn't bad, although you are treated as a customer #, so just be aware you getting what you pay for.
Sean Hsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #38
Trustee

Nickel & Dime you to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
GoDaddy's Superbowl ad turned my stomach, and I was leaning toward dumping them. Then I found out that I had my web site had gone over the size limit. I deleted the extra file, but they penalized me $75. They would not wave it, so I am gone.

I'm finding there are plenty of better deals out there anyway.
GoDaddy based their business model on the up sell. Basic space & domain may be cheap, but it comes with NOTHING. Everything else is an upsell, and not cheap. Be wary of the upsell.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hsieh View Post
but if you're looking for budget shared hosting sites to stream your media, I'd recommend LunarPages or BlueHost as their speeds for streams are much higher, and they balance their shared hosting users much better than some of the other guys (godaddy & 1&1).
I use Lunarpages as well, and they've been just great for the past 6-7 months I've been using them. Just thought I'd throw that in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques