Web hosting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #16
New Boot

About Hosting

Take a second and look at this link...
http://www.simplemachines.org/commun...topic=117303.0

It is VERY eyeopening info about choosing your hosting company!
It is from the Simple Machines Forum support forum.
Bruce Marusich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #17
Regular Crew

We love lunarpages -- who recently upgraded their packages:

# FREE Domain Name For Life
# UNLIMITED MySQL Databases
# 35000 Megabytes Storage
# 800 Gigabytes Data Transfer
# E-Commerce
# Blog, Forum & Photo Gallery
# Microsoft® Frontpage® Compatible
# Spam Protection
# Includes 1 Addon Domain
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #18
Trustee

Surpasshosting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sharp
Definately go with 1and1. they offer 2 domain names, 1 gig of storage and 1 terabyte of bandwidth, you should be able to stream video and music and anything else you want. Check em out. www.1and1.com
I'm late to the party I suppose, but my current host is Surpasshosting.com. The supprot is all online (so if you need a person to call and yell at DO not choose them unless you go dedicated or something super expensive that ($75 /month for lowest Celeron dedicated box)

A performance factor to consider is the amount of PHP / Perl / MySQL usage you will need. The reason being that if you operate a fancy gallery software with many frequent visiters, that can spike your CPU / DB usage and take down the server for the other 300 web sites on that server. Yep. Shared hosting means you and 300 other sites are on the same computer. At surpass you can bump up to a reseller for double ($15/month). They also have a sale starting Nov ONLY where resellers / shared hosts get double storage (20GB) & bandwidth (500GB/month).

As far as support goes, the support has been very responsive and I haven't had a problem unresolved (yet). They have a very active message board for questions and I use it a lot to help, and be helped.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #19
Major Player

Vent Time!

I just had to comment.....YES 1and1 are AMAZING so long as you live in the USA or Canada! I'm in the UK and and the equivilant package here compared to the US is woeful.

USA gets 5Gb space us mugs in the UK get 250Mb
USA gets 250Gb traffic we get 3Gb

Anybody no anyone else that doesn't have country restrictions and offers a good service for not a lot of money (I'm Scottish....every penny is a prisoner!!!!!!)
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Try Liberated Syndication ( www.libsyn.com ). They have unlimited bandwidth, and they are very highly recommended by podcasters.
Adam Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #21
Major Player

About to dive in!

http://www.lunarpagescoupons.net/?gc...FT6DGgodhHGA0w

I think I'm going to go with Lunar especially as I found this site that offers $55 dollars in savings. Anybody got any last words of wisdom?
Old November 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #22
Major Player

I'm hosted on LunarPages and they've been solid for me and a fair price. The couple of times I had a problem they were very quick (within a couple hours) at getting a response to me.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #23
Major Player

Same guy that does the lunarpagescoupons site also does this one for ipowerweb. I can confirm it's legit, and you DO get your cash.

http://www.ipowerwebcoupons.net/
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Do not use netfirms because their customer service is awful.

Customers and potential clients have not been able to download video from my site for over a week.
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #25
Major Player

Another vote for 1and1....I've been very happy with them.

I hear that thier customer support is excellent, although I have yet to need them.

Bob T.
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #26
Trustee

I'll have to 2nd godady.com. They have great customer support over the web or on the phone as well as great good prices. I was really impressed with them when I ran into some frontpage upload problems which they walked me thru and got everything up and running smoothly.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Okay, I may be looking for a new place as well. I have Ipower right now, and they just made this big switch to a new hosting platform (whatever that means. . .I'm not tecchy when it comes to web design). What I DO know is that I can't edit my site the same way anymore (their new platform doesn't support the old web creation/edit tool--now I'm relegated to a html text editor only!), and they can't transfer its contents to one of the new tools. So I either have to edit in html text, or start from scratch, which to me, seems retarded. So I might jump ship if a new company can simply transfer the site as is.

Yes, I know my site is VERY simple, and would be fairly easy to rebuild, but what if it weren't? What if I had an uber complex site that was now virtually uneditable?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #28
Major Player

Godaddy penalized me $75!

GoDaddy's Superbowl ad turned my stomach, and I was leaning toward dumping them. Then I found out that I had my web site had gone over the size limit. I deleted the extra file, but they penalized me $75. They would not wave it, so I am gone.

I'm finding there are plenty of better deals out there anyway.
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
I'll have to 2nd godady.com. They have great customer support over the web or on the phone as well as great good prices. I was really impressed with them when I ran into some frontpage upload problems which they walked me thru and got everything up and running smoothly.
As someone who used to work at GD in several departments and DIDN'T leave on bad terms, STAY AWAY FROM GODADDY.

1. Their servers run in safe mode and do not allow true streaming video

2. Your data will magically revert back a week or two on occasion (a sign of a data loss or server crash)

3. It's uncommon to get a knowledgeable person on the phone

It's basically a large boiler room type operation where the upsell is more important than fixing your issue. Good prices aren't everything.

I still host with Godaddy only because they are too stupid to bill me anymore, 3 years now....
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #30
Slash Rules!

Good to know. Can you describe this stomach-turning ad? Having created my new site in Iweb, I am less pissed off then I was when I made my posting, since all I have to do to fix another such issue is reupload. Granted, it would take several hours if starting from scratch.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques