What I hate when filming a wedding! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Doing weddings in the southeast is great. You don't have to worry about if they're gonna feed you or whatever, because southern tradition says "southern hospitality and lots of food". Usually we don't even have to say anything at the reception, they're just like, "Feel free to grab anything".
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
With Greek/Orthodox ministers, they wear heavy ( i MEAN heavy) robes with no "easy access" pockets
so laving the minister is a no go, BUT if they cry they cry, it cant be helped...
That's true, I don't even bother asking the priest to use a wireless mic, they refuse to wear one. Besides they have a wireless mic connected to their PA system already, which I can't touch either. I just use a shotgun mic.

The parents will understand, it's bad enough to hear one baby crying, but two at the same time is really irritating.

It's also true that, when you have filmed the couple's wedding and did a good job, you get a phone call 3 years down the line to film their baby's Christening. That's a compliment. But if I start filming their children's 21st Birthday, then I know I am getting old...

Regards...
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Lewis View Post
I was on a wedding planner's list, where a bunch of them were instructing other planners not to feed vendors, because they are not guests, for the exception of the DJ. I had to inform them that the DJ is there only half-day, while the video/photo people have been there an entire day, covering the event without a meal and it would look very cheap on the bride's part to have everyone eating while the rest of us twiddle our thumbs. Some of them got how rude it is not to feed us or provide a chair, but the majority of the wedding planners said if there should be food bring out a bologna sandwich and an apple in a brown bag and let them eat it. Talk about tacky?
I recommend that you put it in your contract. My contract states that if coverage starts prior to 5pm, a meal must be provided or a $100 per videographer fee will be assessed. They must sign the contract and initial this part. Since I added this to my contract I have only had one B&G pay the no-dinner clause. Secondly, most weddings have empty seats since people do not show for whatever reason, we just find a seat.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM   #64
Regular Crew

my biggest pet peeve is when they feed us vendors different, cheaper food than the guests. in hawaii.. that's very poor manners. when i get married... i'm gonna make sure my vendors are treated better than guests!
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Reading all these posts, I've come to the conclusion that the 3 main problems for a Videographer filming a wedding/Event are:

1. Low light situations

2. Photographers

3. Not being offered a meal

Am I correct in saying this?

Regards.

Marco Dias
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Dias View Post
Reading all these posts, I've come to the conclusion that the 3 main problems for a Videographer filming a wedding/Event are:

1. Low light situations

2. Photographers

3. Not being offered a meal

Am I correct in saying this?

Regards.

Marco Dias

Ok, not to sound like a dork or anything, but I would not use the word 'problem' but maybe 'pointed considerations.' I have worked with excellent photographers who throughout the day we looked out for each other, and the flipside photographer who was worthless.

The meal is more of an expectation or not.

The low light is probably the consideration that you can address ahead of time, not to say it won't change.

My point is I wouldn't label any of these as being the top of anything. They are just items in a long list that needs to be discussed.

You could have all of these things taken care of and other things would go haywire.

The things listed above are probably some of the most consistent issues.
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #67
Inner Circle

To add to the last post...

#1 -YOU, the videographer are responsible to cover the "low light" issue - either have an adequate camera, or some form of supplemental light, don't "presume" anything, be prepared. Really shouldn't be a big "problem" if you've done your homework. Put the "use of lights" in your contract.

#2 -Generally the "golden rule" applies - treat the photog with respect, expect the same. Professional courtesy goes a long way, and you might find a good contact for more work if the gig goes well. A pro will respect that you both are there to do a job for the couple, and ego shouldn't get in the way of that. You both will be after some of the same angles/shots - anticipate, and decide who gets to shoot over whose shoulder in advance if needed - just be prepared and think ahead.

If another vendor is a jerk, the bride probably already knows it, don't make yourself the arse, do the best you can to work around him/her and point out the diffuiculties created by the vendor only if needed (preferably not on HER day).

#3 -As for food, the observation that there are usually empty chairs/absent guests is a good one - at least you're not a wedding crasher <wink>. Again, put it in the contract... to be safe. Some brides spend obscene amounts per guest for vittles, so perhaps this is why they are reluctant... if it's that upscale an event, you're under contract anyway, so just lay it all out.

I think that the one thing this discussion serves is to help a "prospective" or "learning" WV anticipate the POTENTIAL problems, and eliminate them BEFORE they BECOME problems.

Experiences of others are always good, because life throws curve balls, ya know? At the least, some of these "stories" are a good laugh, or can make us feel better about the time it happened to us and we felt so dumb... or maybe can give us insights so we don't repeat someone elses' mistakes. ALL GOOD STUFF!!

It's great that there are forums like this where we can come together and learn and improve!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM   #68
Trustee

Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
#1 -YOU, the videographer are responsible to cover the "low light" issue - either have an adequate camera, or some form of supplemental light, don't "presume" anything, be prepared. Really shouldn't be a big "problem" if you've done your homework. Put the "use of lights" in your contract.
Homework and equipment can only go so far before the needed light would ruin what the Bride wanted. I tell them I won't use a light (first off I never owned one) and then I give suggestsions for turning up lights for important moments or changing locations ,etc. But I make them fully aware of what they will get should they go for that candle lit dance. So far all of the problem locations have had brides that are OK with the results since they were warned ahead of time.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM   #69
Regular Crew

dxxk heads who walk in front of cam

what is worse than dxxk heads who walk in front of your cam are those who actualy turn round to cam and say sorry. And then there is the person who walks upto you while you have your eye glued to the eyecup and say excuse me your not filming are you only I'd just.............? I'm sure we have all had that experience at one time or another.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #70
Inner Circle

lol
shot a morning wedding yesterday.. was at the brides just before 9, ready to go by 940...
photographer arrives about 925... h ehad apaprently told her to not dress until he got there.. 'bride rushes now..
ceremony starts at 10...
945.. me supposed to be out, bride not dressed yet..
photog stressing (mind u he WAS late.. )
im stresing coz im supposed to be on the road and brides not ready..
photog hogs all shooting opps..
10am.. needed to gt afew shots of bride while she was already in certain positions.. asked her to hang back 15-20secs so i can get my shots.. photog being rude and saying cmon cmon
poor bride is a lil stressd here.. but knows i need to get my shots..
photog hogs the girls and literally shoves me as i take my shots..
photog gets all he needs and takes off..
I still need at least 2 shots before i leave.. just some detail of teh bride finaly dressed.. by this time, its 10 past 10.. ceremony as supposed to start at 10..

ok, so i head of and tell the bride to not do anythign once shegets to the ceremony and sees me.. once she sees me she knows shes safe..
well.. being a clifftop wedding, i also had to set up lights coz of the intense backlighting..
so i get to the ceremony locations.. turns out that headstart i asked for ddnt happen and they took a shortcut.. so i told the phtoog, 6 minutes for me to set up..
Now, im late becuase he hogged her in the morning, now despite my efforts, i still ahve some signiature shots which she had specifically asked for.. so all i can do is blame him for the time factor here cosz he was late as it was..

anyways.. ceremony starts.. all good.. things all happening to plan..

get to the phtooshoot..
wanted to get afew intimate shots of teh couple, now, this is where it gets funny.. all the while hes shooting my compositions over my shoulder.. ok fair enough..
BUT as we head back to the cars, i turn to him and say "sorry for stepping in there, but this is the only time i have to reallyshow the intimacy of teh couple, so i stepped in as u were handling the bridal party.
He's like.. yeah, thats ok if u step in.. but the thing is.. your slow..
Now this blew me away..
so funny but i just turned to him and said.. well of the 60jobs i do each year and oever the last 6 yers, ive never been called slow.. then again, my shots go for 15odd seconds so if thats considered slow...

anywyas.. to cut a long story short.
back at teh reception, i pretend as if he didnt say anythign and talk to him as normal. his partner, whos older and obviously more expereinced, turns and says thanks for being a fast composer and letting them take my shots
LOL

oh and the best hit..
lunchtime hits, were all at the reception..
Im givien a booth along th ewall and teh phtoographers are given seating with the guests..
To top it off, they decided to bump the speeches forward, BUT the photog desicdes to do family shots after theyve had their break.. cool i say.. 15 20 minutes..

no...
it went for an hour and half... by 3pm they were still at it...
reception was to finish at 5...
ok i step out and ask bride whats going on..
i also tell her im nto going to film people standing around taking photos..
she also knew i had teh shits tht the fotog not only delayed her, but he also got in my way numerous times and make snide comments in front of her..

I walk away..
320 and they decide to walk back in..
speeches now.. wonderful...
cake...
wow..
430pm now and time for the waltz.. lol
hmm.. great party... how much did she pay per head? How much dancing happened?
Nada.. once the bnridal waltz happened, dessert was served and people hammered the wine until they were shattered..

Oh what a wonderful country we live in... when photographers can dictate and ruin a wedding simply becuase they need to feed their egos. the worse thing about it is when brides are docile enough to let them...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #71
Major Player

Wow...all these horror stories

get me to wondering:

So many folks here have so much experience, does anyone try to prevent - or at least address - such problems in their contract? Seems to me that both the vid and photog are going to want the same, or nearly the same, angle for shots. Is it really that difficult to work out things like that with the photogs?

As for either the vid or photog being late, is it inapprorpiate to discuss that with b&g/parents prior to signing of the contract? Seems to me that a photog being late hints at their level commitment to the job.

I know the prep and ceremonies are stressful, and "things change" as the day progresses, but holding things up for a late photog strikes me as something the photog s/b "penalized" for, i.e. if he/she are late, their fee s/b reduced, if only as a means of compensation for extra stress and "pain and hardship" suffered by the b&g, the wedding party, and the parents, (not to mention at the church and banquest hall, particularly if another event is scheduled to follow).

I probably sound naieve, and I've only ever shot weddings for close friends and family, but it's stories like these that lead me to want to avoid them altogether.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #72
Inner Circle

So many folks here have so much experience, does anyone try to prevent - or at least address - such problems in their contract?
((thats why it exists.. to cover my ass in case of out of control situations like this one.. ))

Seems to me that both the vid and photog are going to want the same, or nearly the same, angle for shots. Is it really that difficult to work out things like that with the photogs?
((No, far from it.. most photogs i work with love my style of being discrete then stepping in only as i need to... BUT with teh space i give them, i at least expect half of that in return.. as an example, if i want 5 mons with the B/G at the photoshoot, the photog should have the decency to let me take them for a while.. if he wants to tag along hes more than welcome, but this si my time i have with them, so i do try to get some intimacy happening with the couple and if he continually steps in, then i'll speak up.
Gotta remember that most photogs havent worked with videographers, so to many of them, we are a hindrance to thier flow... ))

As for either the vid or photog being late, is it inapprorpiate to discuss that with b&g/parents prior to signing of the contract?

((No, its not, but i hold off on blaming other people for delays. the BG already know whos to blame, they dont need me to point it out to them. Wht I do mention though, is that the client must provide sufficient time and or location for me to have teh ability to shoot. If they dotn provide a tripod safe area, or dont want to have shots composed by me, they ned to mention it in the contract. ))

Seems to me that a photog being late hints at their level commitment to the job.

((well this dude himself didnt have the tendency to want to experiment ro to try new things.. he was set in his ways as are most people.. pity he lost quite afew opportunities simply due to his ego overinflating itself so much he lost site of the job at hand.. ))

I know the prep and ceremonies are stressful, and "things change" as the day progresses, but holding things up for a late photog strikes me as something the photog s/b "penalized" for, i.e. if he/she are late, their fee s/b reduced,
((well we dont knwo why they were late.. it could have ben traffic or maybe he slept in.. irrespctive of why, we deal with the now.. so long as the results for teh time of the shoot are up to scratch, time doesnt mean much.. especially for a wedding.. ))

if only as a means of compensation for extra stress and "pain and hardship" suffered by the b&g, the wedding party, and the parents, (not to mention at the church and banquest hall, particularly if another event is scheduled to follow).

((Well like i said, things like this hardly happen and when tehy do, it IS a big deal.. but the fact remains is that the guy is doing his job and is getting the shots he needs. If however he hinders me in achieving my shots, THATS when i step up to the client. If they want me to step in at that point, i will.. if they prefer the photog to call the shots, i let them..
Hey theyre paying me to do their bidding. If their stupid enough to neglect the product i am producing, and do not want to cooperate in a sense for me to achieve teh best i can with their day, thats their loss..
In the end, im there to archive the day, not change it, and if theyre happy for the day to be dictated by an idiot, thats their loss...
Hey, put it this way, she was not only late at her cereemony by about half an hour, but we ended up getting to the reception about half an hour late, in addition to the 90minutes it took for teh photogs to get the family shots..
Like i said.. her loss.. she jsut missed out on her wedding reception to appease the ego of a tardy photographer... )0

I probably sound naieve, and I've only ever shot weddings for close friends and family, but it's stories like these that lead me to want to avoid them altogether.
((meh.. u know what.. i went to the guys site and it turns out he's a bargain basement photog.. full of hot air and has m ade his way to where he is with the gift of the gab (ie, knows how to sell)
Thing is the area he works he's got nailed.. so hes always busy.. so hes smart in that regard.. as for his work.. put it this way, my 8yr old niece can do the same..

As for avoiding it, well think of the odds.. of the many photogs i work with regularly.. maybe one or 2 will have isue.. most of the time, the issues are stemming from them.. NOT my prescence..
Its also the newies who have issues co they dont know how to handle the idea of bouncing ideas to and fro..
This si where "photo video teams" really nail boutique studios like mine... they have the advantage as the photog and videographer have worked together, whereas in my stuation, i might work with the same 4 to 6 regulars most of the time, but 80% of my work is shot with a Photog ive never seen or heard of before
Thing is with these odds, 1 or 2 bad eggs doesnt stop me from doin what i do..
Aother thing to point out, is some photogs work closely wth other videographers.. so our presence there pisses them off and "for a laugh" they like the idea of stuffing up my shots.. hey, their buddy jsut mised out on a 3grand contract.. of course theyre going to be pissed..

They usually learn the hard way that this behaviour is unacceptable though..

Im a nice guy.. really i am.. but im thre as a professional. I leave my ego at the door and put my business hat on whenever i hold a camera..
Thing is, is to make sure they know you mean business..
if they think your a lill green, then you prolly are.. if your unsure, they will pick up on it.. if however you compose yourself with the knowledge and skill of a seasoned veteran (even if ur not) then they wont even try

Weddings are no place for egos..
its a shame some photogs forget that the wedding is about the bride and groom, not them..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Well this is a new one on me.

The ceremony is all quiet, nice intimate, and all the sudden in my head phones I hear the unmistakable sound of someone winding up a disposable camera. wow.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:22 PM   #74
Regular Crew

This is a very interesting thread and I do agree that some of these things are a little annoying. Fortunately, here in New England I don't see as much of these problems as the rest of you, except for the food issue. The lack of a meal becomes less of a problem when I have flashbacks of my 8 years working in a dingy factory on an assembly line cranking out ball joints and bringing my own sandwich every day!
I just throw some beef jerky and bottled water in the bag and call it good.
The only real problem is that I do tend to get real tired 2 hours into the reception if there is no where to sit.
Mark G
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Well this is a new one on me.

The ceremony is all quiet, nice intimate, and all the sudden in my head phones I hear the unmistakable sound of someone winding up a disposable camera. wow.
Yep - I'm thinking of making up a sign "no Cameras or videotaping" - last wedding I did for friends was just chock full of amateur "photographers" blocking shots and generally screwing up the shoot (and YES, one was using a disposable camera...) - fortunately it was for friends, but yeesh - at least one guy had the decency to ask before shooting pix (he didn't block a single shot BTW), which I don't necessarily mind but don't stand through the processional to do it...

It's a tough call on how to deal with the proliferation of disposable cameras and digital cams with nifty sound effects so everyone knows you just took a picture...

I turn all the sounds OFF the minute I get a camera, just wish everyone else was smart enough to do it.

In the end you just have to shake your head sometimes and carry on...

I know that many photogs have a clause in their contract, and I've added one in myself after seeing how many bozos it takes to make a circus... anyone have any suggestions on how to enforce this at an "open" event?? I don't want to be rude, but on the other hand...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques