Project Management and Invoicing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Project Management and Invoicing

Just thought I'd share what we use for project managment and invoicing.

For project management we use:
http://basecamphq.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basecamp_%28software%29

For invoicing we use:
http://blinksale.com

The great thing about these services is that you don't have to worry about upgrading the software because it's an online service. Also, you can view your invoices and projects from any device with an internet connection and browser.

The only downsides are they are not free, you need a reliable internet connection, and your data is stored remotely.

Anyone else care to share their project management and invoicing methods?
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

"Anyone else care to share their project management and invoicing methods?"

Invoicing method -

our wedding packages are done as "pull apart" booklets. litterally get rid of the pages u dont need, and only use the ones you do need.
The info on these is specific to each package, include coverage details, editing details <ie how intense an edit it may be> number of copies etc etc
along with that, we draw up a customisd quote based on that package which includes any additions etc etc

The invoice details whatever package they choose, plus these additions.
THAT then becomes part one of their agreement. So they have full details of the package, extras and final costings.

The invocies are done manually through excel, as our turnaround doesnt require automation. I used to use MYOB, but to be honest its not needed for such small numbers (less than 200 transactions a year)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good post! I am curious to see what everyone has to say. I am just a new start-up so I don't have anything right now. I only plan on doing 1 job a month in 2007 but things are already getting hard to control. I will definitely need something in place once I start taking on more work.
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

"I only plan on doing 1 job a month in 2007 but things are already getting hard to control. "

u serious? Out of control?? dude, try 6-8 weddings a month with double bookings and back to backs...
seriously, 1 wedding a month wont cut the mustard to pay for your gear, let alone bring in some extra pocket money for you.
IM being realistic..
that is of course dependant on what u charge...

I dont mean to sound tough, but if 1 job a month is difficult, id seriously consider another avenue to take withyour vidoes as it will only get busier from here..

trust me...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

"u serious? Out of control?? dude, try 6-8 weddings a month with double bookings and back to backs...
seriously, 1 wedding a month wont cut the mustard to pay for your gear, let alone bring in some extra pocket money for you.
IM being realistic..
that is of course dependant on what u charge...

I dont mean to sound tough, but if 1 job a month is difficult, id seriously consider another avenue to take withyour vidoes as it will only get busier from here..

trust me..."

Sorry, I should have explained more. I work full-time as a research scientist in the molecular biology field. So I am only doing this part-time for now. It is hard to have a life outside of "work" now so I don't see how I could possibly do more than 1 job per month with just ME doing everything. I am a one woman show. I don't know how you can do 6-8 jobs per month without some help, even doing it full-time. From another post, it sounds like you have editors helping you out.

So now I am curious of the other part-timers with full-time jobs....how many weddings do you do per month?
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Trustee

SW Developer by day.... videographer by night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Lair
So now I am curious of the other part-timers with full-time jobs....how many weddings do you do per month?
This is where I fall. I have two in the editing pipe right now and one possibility comming up in early Nov. That is too much for me right now. But I also work ~45hrs a week, have bad allergies (ever try to edit when you can't open your eyes? it is hard!), and just got married.

So I have a few things on my plate. :-)

1 a month would kill me, but I don't have a smooth (enough) work flow yet. Still working on that. I also have yet to decide on a music source (royalty free stuff, magnatune, or Cinescore) so once I figure that out, I'll be abel to smooth out the workflow.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

"Sorry, I should have explained more. I work full-time as a research scientist in the molecular biology field. So I am only doing this part-time for now. It is hard to have a life outside of "work" now so I don't see how I could possibly do more than 1 job per month with just ME doing everything. I am a one woman show. I don't know how you can do 6-8 jobs per month without some help, even doing it full-time. From another post, it sounds like you have editors helping you out.

So now I am curious of the other part-timers with full-time jobs....how many weddings do you do per month?"

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh

now i get ya..

well i was runnign my company part time although the work that was coming in was full time.. so i was pretty much doing 2 full time jobs
8.5 hrsdoing supplies and training, come home, break for an hour, then work at least another 8-10hrs editing
It WAS a nightmare.. but it got to the point where money didnt matter and i could do this fulltime.
SO now i set myself a monthly target (or at least a budget bracket) where i know i will have XYZ dollars set aside for bills and whatever is left over is profit
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques