shotgun mic suggestion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Major Player

shotgun mic suggestion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the market for a shotgun mic for my vx2100. I will be doing some interviewing at my next wedding shoot and need a descent mic. I was going to go with the rode mic but read where some foks didn't care for them because they pic up too much camera noise. Any suggestions?
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

for the VX, the Sennheiser Mk300 is probably the best..
Rode video mics are good, but their shockmounts suck the big one
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Major Player

P.J. so why do the shock mounts suck on the rode mic?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Lalo,

If you're set on a Rode, buy it and also buy an Azden shock mount for it.

Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=225809

But I agree with Peter, based on your needs the Mk300 would be a better choice for a vx2000.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, I use the Rode VideoMic with my VX2100 and it works okay for me. Now, I've never plugged in a Mk300 for comparison, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

I do know when the VideoMic first came out there was a big issue with the mount and the camera noise the mic picked up. I bought mine more than a year ago after they redesigned the mount, and supposedly that solved some if not all of the problem.

Ooops, I guess I should also mention I use the DvRigPro and, when I use the shotgun, it's mounted on the Rig, not on the camera. So that might make a difference also.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I did a search for a Sennheiser Mk300 and can't find one anywhere. Can someone help me out with a link or something? Thanks!
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

I've always used an old standby, a Senn ME66. It's never failed me.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Andrea, I did too and its MKE 300. I decided to go with the sennheiser. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Lalo! That looks like a nice mic. I wish I had the money for that right now, but I have too many other things to purchase first. It's definitely on my wish list, though.
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Major Player

ordered a sennheiser mke 300. Should I go ahead and order the shockmount with it or will it be okay mounted on the camcorder by itself?
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #11
Inner Circle

lalo, the MK (i should have mentioend the e) has an internal mount on th capsule. When u pull the windsock off, you will see a plastic mesh grid and within that youll see a white or grey tube. THATs the mic.. youll notice that the mic capsule itself is floating within the mesh grid.
This is the internal shockmount.

the Rode doesnt have this. and even with the rubber zeppelin like mount on the battery compartment, the battery itself weighs it down to much to be of any use (IMO)

Its an incredible mic (the rode that is) let down by a marketing push to compete with Sennheiser. When we got teh prototype, the shockmount itself didnt exist. 2 weeks later they came back.. marginal improvement, but still, mount the cam and mic to a tripod then rub ur finger along the tripod leg and listen with decent phones, ull see what im talking about..
Now, imagine this mic on a stage or on a dancefloor with constant Boom Boom vibrations, and people jumping around etc... your sound will be shot just by the vibrations alone..

As for the K6/ME66 combo, i agree, but for these cameras, those mics wont work due to teh XLR cabling and u dont want to compromise that quality by running it directly into a 3.5mm plug...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Peter for that insight. Anxious to try it out. I will test it like you mentioned.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques