DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Quinceanera Oct 28 clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/79040-quinceanera-oct-28-clip.html)

Monday Isa November 6th, 2006 10:32 PM

Quinceanera Oct 28 clip

Hi everyone,
I usually just post fast highlight clips from quinceañeras I shoot. This time I thought I'd post the first 9 mins of it. The family was Christian and they didn't have a ceremony at the church but at the reception venue and there was no dancing at all. So they didn't have alot of content for their video. For this project I included the photo session montage which I don't usually do. I'd love to hear your comments on this piece. It is long and hopefully you can make it to the end. Many thanks for your input. Sorry if the camera shutter is a doser, the teenagers get a kick out of it.

Monday

www.quincevideo.com/xquince.wmv

Tom Tomkowiak November 7th, 2006 07:10 AM

I made it to the end w/o any effort at all. Watching 8 min. of someone else's video of people I don't know can get a bit boring, but this one held my interest. I think that's because you didn't linger exceptionally long on any single scene -- it just kept moving forward.

Right around 3:15, you suddenly switched to slo mo for a few seconds, then back to full speed. Visually it felt like being held back by the shoulder belt when the brakes are suddenly slammed on. I don't understand why you did that after the kiss when everyone is backing away rather than leading up to the kiss -- assuming the kiss is the reason for the slo mo.

Were you using 2 cameras? When the quinceañeraee (or whatever she's called) is walking down the stairs you have a rear shot, front shot, then rear again. If you used 1 camera, how did you do that -- re-enact the scene?

Your use of the shutter sound, freeze frame and motion of the stills is very effective. Especially good IMO because you didn't overdo it.

One last thing. The background music volume was kept low, so it didn't distract. But, wouldn't an instrumental be better? I'm not familiar with the songs you chose, so maybe that makes a difference, but personally I don't like to use any type of vocal background while people are talking in the foreground.

Anyway, I'd give this 2 thumbs up.

Monday Isa November 7th, 2006 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak
Right around 3:15, you suddenly switched to slo mo for a few seconds, then back to full speed. Visually it felt like being held back by the shoulder belt when the brakes are suddenly slammed on. I don't understand why you did that after the kiss when everyone is backing away rather than leading up to the kiss -- assuming the kiss is the reason for the slo mo.

Very good point! That was the emphasis, and I thought doing it after was the right feel, but I'll try those before to see how more effective it is.

Quote:

Were you using 2 cameras? When the quinceañeraee (or whatever she's called) is walking down the stairs you have a rear shot, front shot, then rear again. If you used 1 camera, how did you do that -- re-enact the scene?
Two cams, no re-enactments

Quote:

One last thing. The background music volume was kept low, so it didn't distract. But, wouldn't an instrumental be better? I'm not familiar with the songs you chose, so maybe that makes a difference, but personally I don't like to use any type of vocal background while people are talking in the foreground.
I 100% agree with that. It was my first time trying this style of video mainly because she didn't have much happening on her quinceanera no dancing, waltz, or surprise dances. When creating it, using an instrumental did slip my mind completely. But that is a great point your recommending. THANKS Tom for reviewing my clip and disecting it. That helps a whole lot. Take Care

Monday

Eugene Bare November 7th, 2006 04:37 PM

Nice work

You did a good job for the situation you were put in. How did the family like it?

Monday Isa November 7th, 2006 06:38 PM

Thanks Eugene,
The family really got a kick out of the video. They were laughing so hard as the video was unfolding. Seeing themselves as they were that day. I'm really starting to like this style of document feel, and am re-considering my approach to how I film these events.

How did the Quinceanera go that you filmed a while back? I remember you told me it was just the party?

Glen Elliott November 7th, 2006 08:56 PM

Great job Monday! Great use of natural and ambient audio. The piece simply wouldn't be the same without it. I remember seeing one of your quinceañera videos before and it showcased a much different style, favoring more slow motion and almost no natural audio. As you probably already know I feel that your culled use of slow motion and the inclusion of natural audio really breathes life into the piece. When you watch it you get a better feel of the people in it. It's also more conducive to a faster paced, more realisitc representation of the day's events. I think the previous style would take away from it.

A small side note, the pacing was pretty good thoughout though there were a few shots that lingered a bit too long. If the shot isn't including important spoken audio try keeping up the pacing of your shots. Even when there is someone speaking, or a conversation going on it's nice to use a cutaway to break up a lingering shot. This wasn't apparen't throughout the entire piece just a few particular shots. There was a few reduntant shots, in that I mean you cut to a very similar angle (people exiting down the stairs of the house). A good way to smooth that out is a cutaway.

When using natural audio be very mindful of your audio edits. Make sure you cross dissolve the incoming audio to smooth out the change in room/ambient tone. When transitioning to a scene with no audio carefully ramp it out rather than let it cut abruptly off. Lastly, try working with J and L cuts- it really does a good job of tying various shots together.

Again thank you kindly for sharing. I think you did a fantastic job and your clients will be thrilled.

Monday Isa November 8th, 2006 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Lastly, try working with J and L cuts- it really does a good job of tying various shots together.

Thanks Glen for viewing this clip! Thanks for your in-depth review. That was very helpful and you pointed out things which I now can go back on the next project and correct when using this style. What are J and L cuts? I'm not familiar with that.

Monday

Vincent Croce November 9th, 2006 05:45 AM

Morning Monday--
How's it going in MD? Both L and J cuts are used to smooth out scene transitions, and you've probably done them before without calling them such.
An L cut is when your audio from scene 1 runs on after you've already cut to the video of scene 2, which has that L shape when you look at it on the timeline. Use it, for example, when you're cutting to someone listening during a conversation.
Just the reverse of that, a J cut is when you've already cut to the audio of scene two before the video has gotten there, which looks more like a backwards L but they call it a J cut. It smooths out the cut because you've already prepped the audience with the sound so it's not as noticeable when the video cut arrives...it's a continuity thing and works well when you've got a major change in the video.

Monday Isa November 9th, 2006 06:41 AM

Hey Vince,
Things here in MD are pretty bright (sunny day). Today I've got some traveling to do with appointments and dropping of a video to a client whose job is on the 25th. They're a cool family. Thanks for explaining the J and L cuts. Now I understand what those are, I have used them before but had no idea that's what they were called. How are things on your end Vince? Thanks for explaining the terminology to me. Take Care, ttys

Monday

Steven Davis March 7th, 2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 569527)
Hi everyone,
I usually just post fast highlight clips from quinceañeras I shoot. This time I thought I'd post the first 9 mins of it. The family was Christian and they didn't have a ceremony at the church but at the reception venue and there was no dancing at all. So they didn't have alot of content for their video. For this project I included the photo session montage which I don't usually do. I'd love to hear your comments on this piece. It is long and hopefully you can make it to the end. Many thanks for your input. Sorry if the camera shutter is a doser, the teenagers get a kick out of it.

Monday

www.quincevideo.com/xquince.wmv

Hey Monday, I had an inquiry for a Quinceañera, so I went your website to look some of your stuff over. Nice work on the videos by the way. I loved the song choice.

Monday Isa March 7th, 2008 12:31 PM

No problem Steven. Your welcome. Did the inquiry go through for you? If you ever need info on these events let me know, they are the only events I film. Thanks for the compliments on the work and site also. Take Care

Monday

Steven Davis March 7th, 2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 838845)
No problem Steven. Your welcome. Did the inquiry go through for you? If you ever need info on these events let me know, they are the only events I film. Thanks for the compliments on the work and site also. Take Care

Monday

So far, the phone contact went well. They are having the event for two girls. They are doing all of the event at the reception, and not having the ceremony. If I get the gig, I might touch base with you.

By the way, what did you use to do the collage?

Monday Isa March 7th, 2008 12:50 PM

Nice! I had a two girl quinceanera last year and boy was that fun, the only problem is presenting them both in the video as more than likely they will both have different personalities. I did the mosaic with this software Andreamosaic

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

I saw another fellow videographer do it in his videos but to the extreme, I couldn't come close to his expertise so I kept it simple. One day I hope I can do them to the effect as the other videographer. Let me know if you get it, and if you do be ready to eat (^_^)

Monday

Steven Davis March 7th, 2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 838853)
Nice! I had a two girl quinceanera last year and boy was that fun, the only problem is presenting them both in the video as more than likely they will both have different personalities. I did the mosaic with this software Andreamosaic

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

I saw another fellow videographer do it in his videos but to the extreme, I couldn't come close to his expertise so I kept it simple. One day I hope I can do them to the effect as the other videographer. Let me know if you get it, and if you do be ready to eat (^_^)

Monday

Yeah, might drag you down here for the B roll :}

Monday Isa March 7th, 2008 07:02 PM

Well your not far, let me know. You got mail also

Monday