The "What I love when filming a wedding!" thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #16
Trustee

Great Shots As Always Mark & Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
I'm pumped because I'm editing a wedding where the couple was great at expressing their emotions. That always makes my job so much easier. Here is an example of why the first dance is one of my many favorite parts of the day.
Thanks for sharing that piece. Good to see some emotions on camera. For some reason my last three have been pretty dry when it comes to tears, so I am looking forward to the next one to try something new. And great shots as always Mark.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
Thanks for sharing that piece. Good to see some emotions on camera. For some reason my last three have been pretty dry when it comes to tears, so I am looking forward to the next one to try something new. And great shots as always Mark.

jason
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your kind words. The dry ones do make it more of a challenge. A good friend of mine, Donna Greenwood, made an interesting observation. She said some edits just fall into place so easily and other have to be whipped into submission. It is so true.
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Mark Von Lanken,

I'm a 280 lb guy. I have facial hair. I like John Wayne movies and I occasionally smoke cigars. It takes a lot to get me emotional: the birth of my first child, the death of a good friend, the love God has for me, and Braum's chocolate milk (It's like angels dancing on the tip of my tongue!). Anyway, your first dance clip you posted here made me misty-eyed. And it made me want to be that good at wedding videos. Thank you.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #19
Major Player

The "check" clearing the bank.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. You painted quite a picture.

When you mentioned Braums it made me wonder where you are located. I like Braums chocolate milk as well.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Mark,

I'm located pretty close to you. Just a quick trip up I-44 in Joplin, MO. That's why I'd REALLY love to come to one of your workshops. I could be there in an hour and a half. But being so new to this business, I'm just not able to spend the cash right now. But it's a HUGE goal of mine to attend sometime soon. I want to be the absolute best I can be, and I can't think of very many things that would help me more than spending a weekend learning from you and Trisha.

Hope to see you soon!
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Adam,

I'm pumped because I'm editing a wedding where the couple was great at expressing their emotions. That always makes my job so much easier. Here is an example of why the first dance is one of my many favorite parts of the day.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/FV1stDance.wmv
Is that for real?? I mean, not staged? I've never seen anything like it. The emotion! What a great clip!

How many cameras did you have on the first dance? It seemed like a lot but it could have been done with editing.
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Heck, I'm jealous of the lighting even. :} Very nice clip. Just curious, they're final was longer or was that it.
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pulcinella
Is that for real?? I mean, not staged? I've never seen anything like it. The emotion! What a great clip!

How many cameras did you have on the first dance? It seemed like a lot but it could have been done with editing.
Hi Michael,

Yes it's for real. It is the most emotional First Dance I have witnessed in 10 years of weddings. The first shot I did was the close up of the hands and then slowly panning up to their faces. When I saw the emotion on the Bride's face I almost lost it. Then when she started singing the song in the Groom's ear I did lose it. Talk about powerful!

We used three cameras, but normally we just use two. Chip Goolsby was in Tulsa for some training and he shot wedding with us. He provided some nice perspective shots as well as the shots from outside looking through the windows.

Typically when it's just the two of us, I do the closeups. Trisha gives me about a minute of head to toe wide shots. Then she roams around getting creative shots. We like this approach so much better than just doing an A/B roll of the First Dance.
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Heck, I'm jealous of the lighting even. :} Very nice clip. Just curious, they're final was longer or was that it.
Hi Steve,

Thanks. This is the way we deliver the First Dance to the client. It's one of the ways we compress the reception to make it more enjoyable to watch.

I took about a minute out of the song. Did you notice? Did you miss the Verse and Bridge leading into the climax of the big Chorus with the key change? Probably not.

Does the couple want to see all 4.5 minutes of the First Dance and then all 3 minutes of the cake cutting and then the 2-5 minutes of the tosses everytime they watch their wedding DVD? Perhaps some do, but our clients love they way we compress these events into the First Dance.

Our clients hire us to make a Wedding Movie of their day and not just a documentation of what happened, the way it happened, in real time.

It's not for everyone, but for the clients that like this approach and are willing to pay for it, absolutely love the way we compress these events.
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #26
Tourist

What I LOVE....!

My cute little thing is to create a short 3 - 5 minute short Wedding highlight video within 24 hours after the Wedding is over. I'll put the link on my website and within hours, I'll get a call from the Bride telling me that she LOVES the video...! That's what I love.... that someone appreciates my work. Simple.
Louis Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM   #27
New Boot

Favorite things

When the bride see's the Video and calls you to say that she LOVED the shot of her having the first dance with her Father and I captured an excellent shot of her with her head on her fathers chest, both smiling. It was a special moment for both her and her father. She cried when she saw it. I did a frame capture of that moment and printed it out for her.
Greg LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #28
Inner Circle

i think the doozy.. above everything else.. is when u have a client from your early days... and that client brings in at least 3 other client each year.. and each of those clients bring in their 3 referals... and theyre all indirectly associated with each other..
then, as u do the job, and ur out shooting, so see so many of your previous clients come up to you and thank you personally and go out of their way to make sure that youre being looked after.

In addition to that, i like it when clients tell me their stills from video are better than their pro photographers. Sure enough theyre small, but this doesnt dissuade them from printing them up and creating smaller mounted albums with the pics. Its no skin off my nose, and about half the work, comes from the fact that I offer stills as part of the package
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Peter's right about the photos. I had someone run the video camera for me at one wedding because I was on meds, although I still went to make sure things were being done right. Anyway I brought my Nikon D50 with me and was taking candid photos all day. Since I decided that at the very last minute I didn't charge anything for it. I didn't even know if they'd be good. I gave them all the pictures, untouched, as a gift to them. Turns out they liked them better than the paid photos. I'm not a pro photographer, but what I do know is that you don't use the built-in flash for all your pictures. An add-on flash unit and a Gary Fong Lightsphere goes a long way.

-Michael
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #30
Inner Circle

try a canon 5d with a 580ex.. then throw on a 24-105L and the bugger is heavier than a fully loaded DVX100.. lol thing is though, people see this gear and go "wow"how much did "that"cost u.. and im like.. as much as my video cameras cost me... lol funny thing is i get more photographic referals from wedding than video.. not because i might be good or not (they dont know this u see.. ) but the fact taht my camera is "bigger"and sexier than the official photogs.. also they see me runnign around with 2 or even 3 video cams, then i whip out the 5d for the hell of it and people usually stop and take notice..

i knew i shoulda bought the camera sooner though.. :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques