DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   The "What I love when filming a wedding!" thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/79077-what-i-love-when-filming-wedding-thread.html)

Adam Barker November 7th, 2006 10:39 AM

The "What I love when filming a wedding!" thread

Hi,

I saw the thread about what people hate when filming weddings (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77914), so I figured I'd start up a new thread where people here can actually talk about what they LOVE when filming weddings as opposed to talking about what they HATE.

I'll start...

1. The reactions of the bride and groom when they first see their wedding video that you made for them (that is, of course, if they loved what they saw).

Okay, everybody...your turn.

Adam

Clarence S. Walker November 7th, 2006 12:23 PM

What I Love

The look on the bride's face when her father see her in her dress for the first time.

Edward Slonaker November 7th, 2006 12:36 PM

The reaction of the bride's PARENTS when they see the video for the first time. Especially with the photo montage of the "little girl grows up" I include; gets 'em every time.

Steven Davis November 7th, 2006 12:56 PM

Grabbing my camera and getting into the dance mix..........which is ironic because I really can't dance. But it makes things fun.

Marco Dias November 7th, 2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Barker
The reactions of the bride and groom when they first see their wedding video that you made for them.

Yes, this is my favourite part. When the B&G appreciate and love the way you filmed and edited their wedding day. It's not everyday you see friends and family come together to enjoy and celebrate a special day and you get to capture that moment for them. Then you get the couple that loved your work so much, that they order 10 DVDs from you to give to their family.

Regards.

Monday Isa November 7th, 2006 01:46 PM

The new friends made after the job is done.

Sheldon Blais November 7th, 2006 02:16 PM

Getting a tip before I leave....

Peter Chung November 7th, 2006 05:06 PM

I love that I can make such an impact on one of the most important days in a couple's lives.

I also love it when I change people's paradigm of wedding videos after they see their wedding film.

Richard Zlamany November 8th, 2006 12:18 AM

The sugar high off a good wedding cake. 8>)

Peter Jefferson November 8th, 2006 03:00 AM

cute bridesmaids... yes i AM a pervert... (jk... or is it.. hmm..)

um ok all seious now..

Opportunities to make normal people look like stars.
Having fun and knowing that people have confidence in you and ur work.
Total strangers coming up and shaking ur hand for a job well done
cute bridesmaids
when a good dj can get the floor moving
when MCs and DJ's know how important it is to communicate with you
When photographers figure out that youre there to work with them..
When people leave their egos at the door
when u show clients shots uve just done (ie rewind the tape and show the shots.. usually they freak out a bit when they see its all in camera and natural and no SFX)
when clients prefer your work to their overpriced photographer
When bridemaids give u their room keys
when ur taken to an amazing oasis of a photoshoot location which is virtually unknown.
when u discover photoshoot locations unknown to anyone else..
couples who are down to earth and actually thank you in their speeches
the money
cute bridesmaids that dance like strippers..
cute bridesmaids that act up for the camera while dancing like strippers..
Taking better photos than the official photographer
Watching peoples reactions to SDE's and our slideshows.. its a bit of a buzz and to be honest, it DOES boost the ego quite a bit (and the walllet usualy)
the money.. (of course)

there are afew others, but i CBF thinking up anymore

Richard Wakefield November 8th, 2006 03:01 AM

- the challenge of being creative in different environments each and every time

- the 'we've watched this almost 20 times already and cried everytime' quotes

- when you spend hours on a particular edited scene, and it comes out how you want! :)

Bruce S. Yarock November 8th, 2006 05:16 AM

Like Steven says "getting in the dance mix". Getting fun and creative shots of the hot looking women. (I have to remember to focus a little on the guys since my girlfriend does the editing).
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Mark Von Lanken November 9th, 2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Barker

...I so I figured I'd start up a new thread where people here can actually talk about what they LOVE when filming weddings as opposed to talking about what they HATE.
Adam

Hi Adam,

This is a great thread. It seems like there are so many in this business that love to complain about how bad it is. I love this business.

There are so many great things that happen on the wedding day and we hold the power to let the B&G as well as others relive what they saw, heard and felt on one of the biggest days of their life. We can actually let them relive it better than they remember it.

I'm pumped because I'm editing a wedding where the couple was great at expressing their emotions. That always makes my job so much easier. Here is an example of why the first dance is one of my many favorite parts of the day.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/FV1stDance.wmv

Joe Allen Rosenberger November 9th, 2006 08:04 PM

Great thread!

I like working with really cool vendors....photogs, djs, planners, etc. When they are all cool.....the day is that much more enjoyable, plus you make some friends along the way.

I like being part of something so positive...many take it for granted but it's a pretty darn big deal...our client's wedding day.

I enjoy the pressure of making everything happen smoothly....the audio, the cams, the shots, the producing of what we all do.

I enjoy working with my partner Mike and my resident cam op Ben.....they are awsome to work with and I am fortunate to have such great talented people beside me on shoot day.

I enjoy building my business from zero client's at one point to more referrals now than I can take on ( currently).

I love it when a client loves what we have produced for them......sure, we all need a pay check to live from......but when what you do makes someone else so happy.......that is worth more than what money can pay sometimes.

...by the way, I LOVE it when everything goes right on.....on shoot day!

Marcus Marchesseault November 10th, 2006 01:42 AM

I like it when the groom is a cool guy that loves his bride.

I like it when the bride forgets about all the pointless details and is beautiful and graceful to her guests.

I like getting great footage of the small children knowing that this is probably the best video of them to ever exist. One day, their parents and aunties will be able to look at that footage of the kids on their own wedding days.