Highlight to Share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Highlight to Share

I haven't shared anything in a while, so here goes. Shot with (1) Z1U and (2) A1U's, edited in FCP. Please give me any feedback, as I have not yet turned it over to the client.

Windows Media Normal ~ 32mb
http://homepage.mac.com/ppike/videos/jay_aileen_hi.wmv

edit - pulled the hd link due to bandwidth

Last edited by Patrick Pike; November 11th, 2006 at 09:44 AM.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Still Motion

Thanks for sharing. First thing I noticed was how original it was, I really liked it overall. The way it was put together with the interviews at the beginning, the pacing, the split screen, all worked very well in my opinion.

I think the opening interviews could have been shortened a bit, they seemed to drag on, especially for an opening before the music starts. I also thought some clips REALLY needed color correction, whether or not the couple would see that is unlikely, but it really stood out ot me. I also would consider cuting some of the really shaky camera work or covering it up with the old film effect, which I think seems to compliment it better.

Thanks again for sharing. Really liked how you used the text throughout.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3
Trustee

I loved it. I agree with Patrick's comments about the opening interviews, especially the groom.

Watch your sound levels. The interviews are much lower than the rest.

Really liked the editing with the split screens and fast pace to match the song. Well done.

My main beef was the colour correction, as Patrick also mentioned, especially that many, many shots are underexposed (I donwloaded the HD version). You should have some latitude left if you shot in HD. I would see if you can bring them up some.

But really, it was great. Except for the half naked guy. That's just wrong, hehehe...
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #4
Tourist

Three words. I love it! However I noticed some pinkish artifacts in the video.
Is it due to compression?
Peter Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Great work.

This is the fastest-paced highlight I ever seen. Just saw the slowest I ever seen from another post. Great editing job.

Patrick, what system did you use and how did you create the old film effect?
Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the good words everyone.

On the topic of color correction, I intentionally miscolored a good number of clips. Many are tinted blue or pink (wedding colors), I didn't want to keep everything perfect because I don't thin it works with the music as well.

The interviews were a bit of a last second addition. The enitre "song" part of the highlight video was done and the interviews just seemed to fit, at least for the b & g. I really wish that I had more 'off the cuff' remarks to use through the video, but we were not able to obtain them.

I just recently had a chance to view the wmv-hd file on a pc, and I was shocked at how dark it looked. Even after roughly calibrating the monitor, it seemed to play back much darker than on my Mac. Because I am using Flip 4 Mac to do the wmv conversion, I will have to look into those issues.

I'm editing with FCP 5. All of the coloring / effects were done with Nattress' Film Effects (excellent product!) and some basic split-screening. One thing I noticed about doing the video with such a fast pace, is that it allowed me to used a lot of footage (and different) than I would otherwise.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #7
Still Motion

Patrick,

Do you mind sending me the info on what version of flip4mac you have and what settingsyou used for the low quality export? I am looking for something very close to that but I havent had much luck manually altering the settings in that program.

Thanks
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Patrick-

The settings for Flip for Mac are as follows.:

- Export using WMV 9 Standard
- One Pass, VBR (I have had nothing but problems and artifacts using two-pass)
- Quality = 85
- Size = 480x270
- Rate 29.97
- Complexity - Offline Fast
- Key Frame Every 10
- Buffer Delay 5
- B Frame Distance 0
- Input Progressive (Converted with Compressor)
- Output Progressive

Thats everything I did for that clip. All in all, Flip4Mac does a good job, but I think the quality is better with h.264 or divx, but no one has those codecs :)
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques