Where the start? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 12th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where the start?

Ive recently been thinking of shooting wedding videos. my problem is not so much the technical side but it is the business side.

Where to begin? do i do research? send out questionaires etc? could anyone recommend steps? even links to sites. would i be best to write a business plan? is one needed? i know this a newbie question but i would like to hear of you guys experience. what you have done and havent done?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Where to begin? do i do research? would i be best to write a business plan? is one needed?

((you answered your own question bro.. ))
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

First, do web searches - find out what your competition is doing and what they charge.

Then lower your price to "beat" the competition - for the first year or so - you will probibly want to be the cheep one on the block in order to build your reputation and your name. Then slowly increase your prices where you feel you need to be. You might also want to consider doing one or two wedding for cost/free in order to get some Demo material and your name circulating.

Get business cards and a website up - make it a decient website too -pay someone if you need to. Your website and promotional materials reflect upon you - so many times I have seen excellent videographers skimp on marketing and it has cost them dearly. If you have cheep paper business cards that you print from home, and a cheep website that looks like a five year old designed it - I don't care how good a videographer you are - the business simply will go to someone who "looks" more professional.

Advertize if you can - I have found that newspapers and "local" adverizements don't work that great, but sites like TheKnot, and bride magazines seem to give me the most bang for my buck.

As far as business plan goes - have a decient idea of what you want to accomplish in 5 years and work towards that. As of right now - I don't expect to turn my first profit until next year (year 2 in the biz) - since my startup costs were so high this year.

Ryan
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. ive started to do some research and i just bought some magazines today and the look i got from the woman serving me was a strange one!

and also ive been looking into websites and such and also ive contacted some companies in my area and they are reluctant to give prices. even when ive pretended to be a getting married. sneaky i know but how can i find prices out?

i know that it would be a good idea to be the cheapest guy in town to start with but i have no clue. well nothing a little research wont fix.

Thanks for you help and if you's have any more suggestions i'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

check your email
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Thanks man!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques